Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Lockout is over

10-year deal, 8-year opt-out..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-union-strike-tentative-deal-to-end-lockout/article6973251

January 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

they can all bite my cba. won't buy a ticket, won't buy merch. screw them. only happy I'll get to see Alfie again.

January 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

One of the major issues is the contract term length and variance.

- 7 year contact term limit for free agents
- 8 years if resigning one of your own players. Wording on this in previous proposals was that the player had to be under contract for that team for the full previous season.
- max 35% yearly variance in salary and no more than 50% between any two seasons.

That max 50% from highest year to lowest year sounds good for the NHL, unless there is a loophole for GMs to find.

Pan can you check my math here, but this is effectively to 7% over 7 years. Here's an example of two 7 year scenarios for a player. One with a 7 year deal, the other with a 4 and 3 year deals.

7 years, total worth $50,650,000 with an average $7,235,714

$10,000,000
$9,000,000
$8,000,000
$7,000,000
$6,000,000
$5,650,000
$5,000,000

4 and 3 year deals, total worth $50,650,000 with an 7 year average of $7,235,714 ($7,287,500 in 1st 4 years and $7,166,667 in last three years)

$11,000,000
$7,150,000
$5,500,000
$5,500,000

$10,000,000
$6,500,000
$5,000,000

So splitting up a "7 year deal" over two contracts would not make a difference lower cap space and the player would have to earn the 2nd deal.

Sound good so far right? Now this is where it gets interesting...

Compare that with the Kovalchuk 15 year $100 deal where 5 years are $11M or more (the highest season is $11.8M) and three seasons at $1M, two at $4M and one at $3M, those 6 years at less than 50% of $11.8M lowers the cap average to $6,666,667

Now double the 1st 7 year deal above for 14 years worth of contracts. $101,300,000 with an average $7,235,714 over 14 years.
So an extra $1.3M over 14 years instead of 15 and the cap average higher by only $569,047.

Minnesota's Parise and Suter deals are 13 years $98M deals with a average of $7,538,462 . Again, not to far off the $7,235,714 of my example 7 year deal.

This was the hill that Bill Daly said that the NHL would die on?
This is what we lost 1/2 a season for? a little over $500k a year on cap hit?

As far as cap hits, it just like the Kovalchuk, Parise and Suter deals but only 1/2 the length. I don't think that's a coincidence.

The only good thing is that it's a more "honest" deal.
- A player would have to earn that 2nd 7 year $50M deal
- If a player retires before the contract is up, then he would lose more money that a Parise or Suter where the last couple years is only 8% of the highest contract year.
- a team is not handcuffed by a deal like Luongo's contract.
- contract rules are now written down, not leaving much room for creativity. At least none that I can see.

Team are also allowed two buyouts for next season to get under the $64.3M cap set for the 2013-14 season. So that could make for an interesting summer.

January 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Homer, quit stealing my job!

We lost half a season for 7% of HRR. I'll bring up your post, we intend to record tonight.

January 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

True, but the 50-50 spit was settled weeks ago. It was Bill Daly who said that the 5 year 10% variance contract term was the hill that NHL was going to die on. It looks like they retreated on that point instead.

I guess we'll have to wait for all the details to come out to get a full evaluation as well as how much damage this lockout did to HRR.
Will 50% of next year's HRR be able to cover a $64.3M cap?
We still don't have details on revenue sharing between the most profitable teams and the money losing teams. It'll take a few seasons to see how good this CBA is for the NHL and players.

I wonder when the trade deadline will be? It's usually at the end of February (January if you're Burke). Six weeks into a season is a little quick to have a trade deadline when you have a 13-14 week season.

January 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Almost forgot.... one good thing about the end of the lockout. Kyle Turris won't have to buy his own hockey sticks anymore. I can sleep much better now.

January 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Homer, feel like calling in tonight?

January 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Update: Leafs mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

January 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Don't give a flying you know what about the details of their deal: that's between them. The only thing that matters to me is that I get to watch the Sens FINALLY! I hope all Sens fans go back in full support of the team, because let's not forget we are a small market. If we want a team we have to support it.

January 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

i honestly don't believe that anything in this contract will save the have not franchises it still will come down to revenue sharing, like it was from the start.

January 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

oh, and senior, i still think the lingerie curling league can work. Just not your league.

January 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I'm with you BSens. I can finally wear my Senators touque now and not freeze my head off ha ha. I'll be arranging a party for the first game of the season and go from there. Looking forward to hearing more podcasts!

January 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

when I get home from travelling all my jersey shirts are coming out of storage, I will proceed to wear my sens jerseys yay so excited! i can now proceed to get names put on my LA and red Sens jerseys which have been long overdue. Too bad I wont see LA at SBP this season which would have been the December 15th game.

January 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Good Article from Freideman here ...

Best excerpt was the following:

Cold comfort

Can't wait to get started.

Then I remember: A panel with Glenn Healy, PJ Stock and Kevin Weekes. Poor Ron. Three shows with Healy, and we'll be pining for the days of cold nights in bank vestibules.

January 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Sorry Pan, didn't see your post until this morning, was out yesterday afternoon and evening.

January 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

We're waiting to see what the schedule will look like.......why can't the NHL just pick it up wherever it is on Jan 19th and run with it? There would probably be a few games that they'd have to slot in for teams that have only 46 games left at that date, but wouldn't it be easier than building an entirely new one based on playing only conference opponents (ie/ no Western teams coming through)?

I'm not getting this at all; I'd rather see every team and play division opponents only a few times rather than only conference opponents and we see our division rivals a lot.

January 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

they can all bite my cba. won't buy a ticket, won't buy merch. screw them. only happy I'll get to see Alfie again.

But will continue to run a site dedicated to the NHL and one of its franchises.... way to show your distaste in the league.

January 7, 2013 at 12:22 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Russell rejects your reality and substitutes it with his own.

January 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

i don't run it, shredder does. besides, Sis, if we shut it down, where would you go to whine and bitch like a little girl?

January 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

You, Shredder, and Stooli are all a single entity to me. Besides I am pretty sure you are the source of some of those tweets coming from @sensunderground.

And my bitching and whining are only because of this site so if you shut it down I wouldn't have too :P

Face it, if you have anything to do with this site you will be back watching and paying attention to the NHL in full force. We love the game to much, if you don't then you would even have read this message so don't bother disagreeing. It is okay to be mad... but it is not a hill to die on.

January 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

i can guarantee you all the twitter bitching is me!

I will pay attn and follow, but they won't be getting any of my money.

January 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Lay off Russell guys... we all know what it's like when you don't get some(thing) for a long period of time. One gets grumpy.

:)

January 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

YOU KIDS STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!!

January 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Question: did Russell bank Kelly's goals in the local pick-up games at the Sensplex?

January 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg