Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Are we going to see NHL hockey soon?

"... and what happened next, well ... in New York they say ... that the Commish's heart grew three sizes that day ... and as the love for hockey came shining through ... he found the strength of 10 Charas - plus 2 ..."

December 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Good point on Pronger, but do you buy him out or cut Bryzgalov? They'd have no goalie, but can move a mid player or two for a goalie. Look at that, I'm talking trades instead of CBA!

December 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

As much as Alan Walsh is a first-class douche, he's made an interesting point on Twitter (by taking a comment by Brooksie and expanding on it) and it's one that's been fermenting my my cortex for a while but he nailed it down pretty well:

If the NHL suddenly moves to a $60M cap, that's an instant decrease of 14.53% -- unheard of in professional sports. Furthermore, if there isn't a rollback in place on all salaries, what will happen will be rather like the Blackhawks after winning the Cup: teams can't afford to keep the players they have and want. According to capgeek.com, there are 16 teams over that cap, and a lot of the teams under it can't afford to get to that limit so even a firesale may not get them all under the cap in time to start the season. It could, however, make for some interesting trades.

(BTW, Ottawa is at $51.95M, and the dirty Leafs are at $63.49M)

December 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I have a theory now. taken me 4 months to develop it but i've been busy, doing....stuff, ok?

I now believe we will have a deal by next tuesday. I also believe the owners, having to give up nothing in this and only taking from the players, had a 48 game season in mind all along. they have just been holding out, trying to squeeze all they could out of the players, bargain them as low and as they can right down to the final minute for the 48 game sched, then take whatever they can get and run. after all, no matter what the deal is, its only better for the owners than what they had. they had no intentions of ever settling this prior to this deadline.

this is what I now believe to be true. 'Tis my Gospel.

January 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

It's as good a theory as any other that I've heard and it makes a lot of sense--that ridiculous opening proposal by Jacobs and Bettman was so damn foolish it pushed it to this point and that proposal proved that the owners were not looking for a quick resolution to this stupid Lockout.

They also had to know that Donald Fehr was never ever going to consider that proposal and here we are hopefully going to play hockey again.

With free Center Ice too...... Hopefully

January 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I couldn't care less if they play this year or not. I won't go to, or watch on TV, any NHL games. (Unless Sens get to playoffs). I would love to see empty arenas and 0 tv ratings. Send a very strong message to the NHL. They need us more than we need them.

January 3, 2013 at 1:51 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Bettman: Some GMs wish to dismantle their team

According to a New York Post report from Larry Brooks, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman infuriated the players with whom he’s bargaining at league headquarters when he said that a number of general managers had informed him that they regret some of the player contracts they had signed and would welcome to chance to “dismantle” their clubs.

Oh boo hoo....the GMs want a get-out-of-jail-free card because they signed contracts due to their greed / their owner's greed to get a particular player and it turned out to be a bad idea later on. Too frikkin' bad.

January 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Alfie was on the radio today and said of the owners opening asinine offer---I'm paraphrasing here:

"They may as well of just sent a piece of paper saying ---This is War."

January 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I should have pushed ahead with my lingerie curling league. With no hockey this year it would of been a slam dunk.

January 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Just heard on Twitter or saw on Twitter that Lundin had surgery on his hand or finger in Sweden, that's great news for the Senators if the damn season starts soon, Benoit will have to play D now with all the injuries already for the Senators......

January 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

...that's a big IF

January 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I should have pushed ahead with my lingerie curling league. With no hockey this year it would of been a slam dunk.

... um, that would have depended upon WHO was wearing the lingerie, Senior ... because if it was your men's league curling club, brrrr ... doesn't bear thinking about ...

January 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck