Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > World Junior schedule

Apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere, but...

Anyone seen the World Junior Schedule?

It sucks MOOSE BALLS!!!!!!! Lots of 2:30 am and 4:30 am games, including the Canada-US game, which is on at 2:30 am on the 30th. Its going to be a lot like Nagano in 98, except I'm 14 years older and even less likely to pull all-nighters.

Boo.

December 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

The invited-to-camp list has been published today (you can find it here), and of note for the Senators:

1) Not invited: 1st round pick F Matt Puempel of Kitchener Rangers (injured)
2) Not invited: G Chris Drieder of Calgary Hitmen
3) Not invited: G Francois Brassard QC Ramparts
4) Not invited: 1st round pick F Stefan Noesen of Plymouth
5) Not invited: 1st round pick D Cody Ceci of Ottawa 67s

F Sean Monahan and F Tyler Graovac (7th round, Minn Wild) of the Ottawa 67s are both invited to the camp.

December 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Not a single Sens prospect invited to camp. Hmm!

December 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

hard to believe Ceci didn't get an invite.

December 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Z-Bad also held back by Murray. Subban's got the goalie spot, so whatever, the other guys won't play anyways.

December 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Swedish federation is p*ssed with Sens for not allowing Z-Bad to play for Sweden: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/12/03/sweden-unhappy-over-ottawa-senators-decision-to-not-send-mika-zibanejad-to-world-junior-championship

December 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Sens 1st rounder Sefan Noesen (OHL - Plymouth) on the WJC selection list for Team USA. I forgot he was from the US in my post upthread about Team Canada.

December 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Re Z-Bad: I don't blame the Swedes for being a bit irritated. That's a hole in Sweden's lineup for sure. Maybe Murray could have been a bit more flexible.

But this idea that we North Americans are scheming to keep their best and brightest out of the tournament? Screw off. No one in Europe seems to have a problem with the World Championships in the spring, which are held at a time when the best North American players are ALL basically unavailable. What a cheap-shot that remark by Ronnberg was. Boo.

Re Noesen: right, I had overlooked him, too. Good on him...though that won't make me cheer for Team USA. Nope. Can't do it. :-)

December 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

I'm excited for this tourney, I am every year!!! As long as Boone Jenner makes the team, I will be happy!

December 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Its going to be a lot like Nagano in 98, except I'm 14 years older and even less likely to pull all-nighters.

I remember Nagano I was older than 14, but I recorded the games (on a VCR) I would get up at about the time the game ended and watched it before leaving for work fast forwarding through the intermissions and between whistles.

Thought it would be fun to have game threads, but it might be hard with the games starting in the middle of the night. I'll probably record them (on a PVR this time) and watch it when I get up before I get online, watch TV or talk to anyone.

What sucks are the elimination rounds. I'm gonna be back at work and will be next to impossible to know who wins for the entire day.

The Gold medal game at 8am on Saturday Jan 5th should be fine to watch live though.

December 4, 2012 at 8:29 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Believe it or not, I still have an old-school VHS VCR, and the sucker still works. This thing is more-or-less indestructible. The tapes are starting to wear out, though, and you can't replace those easily...so the World Juniors in Ufa may be its last hurrah.

The only trouble I'm going to have with managing the 8 am Gold medal game on the 5th will be wrestling the TV away from my three-year-old, who seems to think that the only channel we get is TreeHouse. Wish me luck.

December 5, 2012 at 6:47 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

i'd imagine tsn will replay the canada games, or all of them, at a more viewer friendly time.

December 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Yeah, I'm sure they will, but I hate watching sports events that aren't live. It is so easy to find out what happened, even if you don't mean to.

Ah, well. Curse this great big planet we live on!

December 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM | Registered CommenterBoingy

I know the Swedes are complaining about Z-bad, but apparently the Oilers haven't let Nuggent-Hopkins go either (even though he's been invited). I think they're waiting on to see how the negotiations this week go.

December 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

... I'm sitting on my couch on a Saturday night, watching decent hockey with players in red uniforms ...

Seems familiar somehow ... can't place it, though ...

December 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

They looked... decent, for lack of a better word, against Sweden. They sucked horribly against Finland. Benning looks much stronger than Subban I hope they start him out against Germany. (Although that won't be a very good indication of skill)

December 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

I have not been impressed by what I've seen. They better step it up big time if they hope to go anywhere in the tournament.

December 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Boone Jenner suspended 3 games. I'm Ok with that. It was a stupid hit.

December 24, 2012 at 11:54 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

3 games for a repeat offender (he was suspended last year), I'm okay with that. The question now is whether Team Canada keeps him on the roster or drops him and adds another player who is currently in Canada. It'll take a few days to get to Ufa, and they won't be acclimatized the way the players there already are, but if/when Jenner gets back in the tournament, he'll be under a microscope and likely not effective as a 3rd/4th line "energy" guy centre. The team doesn't have to submit a final roster until just before game time on the 26th, so we'll see.

December 25, 2012 at 8:18 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Is this late Christmas night, or early Boxing Day morning? I'm watching hockey, so I'm kinda craving a beer.

Team Canada is already up 2-0!

December 26, 2012 at 5:02 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Jenner deserved that suspension. I was unhappy with the fact we let the Germans score 3 times (again, I'm very nervous about Subban) but I am happy about the 9 goals we did get. But omg, our powerplay is atrocious.

December 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

He's saving his A game for when he's wearing a Boston jersey against Ottawa. Your nervousness will turn into anxiety and frustration.

December 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

5-1

All the southern USA NHL cities are out of their minds with joy at todays win.

January 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Today, the Littlest Boingy had me up at 4:30 with yet another crying jag, so I decided: What the hell. I'll watch the Canada-US semifinal live.

This is, to date, the only game of this year's World Juniors that I have seen. (Thank God next year's tournament is in Sweden, which is only six hours ahead of Eastern Time. Not as good as having it in North America, but at least there won't be any of this 4 AM nonsense!)

And what a game to tune into. What wasn't to love? Canada's absolutely sleepwalking play, a very aggressive and tight American game, Malcom Subban getting lit up like a G-D Christmas tree, and some mind-blowingly bad officiating thrown in to boot. (Apparently, it is perfectly okay in international hockey to deliberately push your own net off its moorings...not only will you not get called for delay of game and the opposing team be denied a much-needed 5-on-3, but play will continue for about 15 or 20 seconds afterwards before the Mighty Zebras figure out that the net has traveled half way across Siberia....oy.)

...Well, all I can say is that the Littlest Boingy was not the only one who took a big poop in the wee hours of this morning.

January 3, 2013 at 11:55 AM | Registered CommenterBoingy

Haven't watched the game yet, but I'm sure it was dumb luck or we were robbed.

January 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer