Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Bill Simmons' take on Gary Bettman's Leadership

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8639525/just-go-away-gary

Someone smarter than me please make that web address so you can just click on it please.

A few excerpts are below: The article is funny and it's true

"How does one impeach a sports commissioner?

"So you allowed John Spano to buy the Islanders without any money because … why?"

"after I joked recently for the umpteenth time about Bettman's former boss, David Stern, planting him in the NHL to ruin hockey, a few readers e-mailed me wondering if that could be legitimately true"

The NHL sacrificed an entire season so they could reimagine their entire salary structure … and only seven years later, that "reimagining" went so poorly that they might have to sacrifice a second season because they need a mulligan.

Throw in what hockey means to Canada (where they love hockey like we love football, basketball and baseball combined), Ain't that the truth and you fans in Canada put up with this nitwit Bettman, it's your game and yet this nitwit and the jackasses in Boston and Philly are ruining it. That's my editorial comment

Anyway it's humorous and I needed some levity about the NHL about now.

November 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

People are too critical of Bettman. The only reason he's doing what he's doing is because it's supported by the NHL owners. I'm pretty sure he's not a fan of hockey, or as he calls it, ha-kee, but that's irrelevant. He's representing the owners' business interest as a whole and that's it.

I don't think there is a conspiracy or anything like that. I just think Bettman reps the owners and the owners want power over their employees - the players.

The players are not going to win this fight. They never have and they never will. I've never heard of a union winning over the employer.

November 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Dawg your right--but one point u forget is that Donald Fehr has never lost a labor fight and he's going to do everything to not lose this one. That means no hockey and the biggest loser is the fans and it always will be.

November 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Agreed about the fans TJ. But I am willing to put money down that Fehr gets fired first by the union before Bettman gets fired by the board.

Either way, fans want to watch hockey and these guys are shooting themselves in the foot.

On the other hand, I've always thought the season is way too long and there are too many teams with too many average players. If they make a deal soon and we get to see 50 or so games I wouldn't be disappointed.

November 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

no one could disagree with him about buttman, he's bang on there, but he's wrong about people not going to see the stars. people absolutely buy tickets to go see Crosby, OV, Stamkos, The Sedins, Malkin, etc. And karlsson is worth the price of a ticket any night (although he's no Jake Gardiner). that's an uninformed statement he's made.

November 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I heard Shawn Simpson on the radio the other day saying that he had spoke to a few owners and the feeling was that Buttman may lose his job if he can't solve this dispute. One comment was "no one is bigger than the game". Those lines are pretty easy to read between. Buttman's ego is getting in the way. I know that may shock you but.....

November 18, 2012 at 11:35 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Just Go Away, Gary

There ya go.

IMO:

1) Fehr is doing his job, which is representing the player interests. Like or hate his work, it's his sole purpose.
2) Bettman isn't being the commissioner of the league, he's being the representative of the owners. A commissioner would represent the league as a whole and work to find a solution; he's only doing what has been deemed best for a certain group of owners, not the whole league.
3) The players and owners are digging in their heels for different reasons, and I think both have certain things they are right on and certain things that deserve a kick in the grobs.
4) Neither side gives a rat's ass about the people who are the SOURCE of the pie they are arguing over: fans, and sponsors.

If this dispute goes on a long time, and they lose the season, it will cost a lot in terms of $$ from fans and sponsors. It won't be just a lost season of revenue, it'll be a downturn in money coming in as NBA gets the winter dollars in the US market, with the NFL and MLB getting extra attention in the fall and spring respectively.

I'm already not wearing any team-branded clothes or the like (I wore a Team Canada sweater to the charity game in Cornwall), and I won't be purchasing anything that could be HRR, or tickets other than the last regular season game if we actually have a season.

If this dispute costs Ottawa fans our last season with the Golden Gawd on the ice, that'll hurt the Senators as well.

November 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Kardinal great point about Alfredsson, that's the one thing I always think about when there could be no season is that he won't be back. There has to be some animosity between Melnyk and the Hawk owners just for this one reason that Alfie could never play again.
It all just sucks........

November 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Agree Kardinal! I wore a Sens jersey last night for one of my routines as that's the costume I had in mind originally when choreographing it. That's the only time this year any of my hockey items will be worn until there's a season (I felt mildly better about it as it wasn't my jersey I was wearing).

Your point number two seems to me that there is a lot of politics on the Owners end, certain owners are paying the Commish to play in their favor? Are there any owners that would disagree 100% with Gary's direction? Excuse my ignorance about the owner's side, I care but am not that up to speed on their side at all. I have been saying all along they need a Mediator or Arbitrator, that's the only way it will get resolved in a timely fashion.

November 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Enough of this ... tell the owners to make whole the players contracts with Bacon instead of money: they will agree. Tell the players to share any further Bacon with the owners 50/50: they will agree. Everyone will then have Bacon - lockout over, play hockey, eat rashers of Bacon ... EVERYONE WINS!!!

November 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

although i like where' you're going with this, the fans will lose as the players will now all look like Dustin Byuflien.

November 18, 2012 at 8:29 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

LOL love it Russell!

November 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Butthead did an interview with a big market, big name newspaper: the Winnipeg Free Press. Uhhh....seriously?

Exclusive: NHL commissioner discusses lockout issues

Gems like this:

FP: Revenue is growing, but there's an imbalance from franchise to franchise. If the weaker franchises can't compete from a revenue standpoint, why not contract?

GB: We believe all of our franchises are important and can be viable and can be successful. And frankly, if we're going to continue to grow the game and grow what you refer to as national revenues, you need to have a truly national footprint, not just in Canada but in the United States.

I'm surprised that Bettman's eyes aren't brown as he's so full of.......fecal material....that they should be. The fact that it spews from his pie hole every time he opens it is proof enough.

November 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

thoughts on the meeting scheduled for this evening? just read a few tweets negotiating committee arrived. I am not getting my hopes up :(

November 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

I am officially sick and disgusted with NHL hockey, both sides really. I skipped most of my tweets today, I am sick of hearing about the lockout. I am going back to my roots of hockey interest and supporting the junior players with the 67s and obviously my Oshawa Generals, whenever they come to town next.

whose in for a few OHL games?

I also feel for the administrators and those who make $25,000 or less working for the teams - the people with the every day jobs, the sport administrators I am sure more than enough are laid off.

November 21, 2012 at 9:55 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

I used to be in the anger stage a few weeks ago. I was talking about disappointment in both players union and owners. But I'm past that.

I've had time to think about it and the way I see it now is this. The NHL will be back when it's back and the fans will, too. This lockout is part of a business that has to deal with unionized workers. So be it. Fans will survive without the NHL, but it'd be nice if it was back because we love to watch the best players.

The demand for tickets will always outpace the supply in the hockey markets in Ottawa.

One thing I'll say, though. I don't think the 24/7 media coverage of the lockout is helping things. There should have been a media blackout on the whole proceedings. Maybe that would have sped things up. There are plenty of other sports they could show. Instead, they choose to show old footage of men in suits walking around and then giving statements. BOOOOOOOOORING What a pile of crock.

November 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

It's getting bleaker than ever that we'll have a season. F em all

of course this probably means that they'll make a deal soon.........

Ian Mendes is still an optimist though:
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes
I still think that in the big picture, the two sides moved closer on Wednesday. Tune out the noise and rhetoric.

November 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

If there isn't a season, then both Bettman and Fehr should be fired by their respective employers. That should be the threat right now. I recently cracked open my @NHL dictionary, and found this entry very interesting -- it must have been written by Bettman himself:

negotiate: v intr, the act of one side in a dispute being intransigent and the other acquiescent.

November 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

It's Saturday nite, Where the hell is our HNIC???

November 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

It's Saturday nite, Where the hell is our HNIC???

I know!!!! Glad Alfie was able to participate in the Charity game in AC last night though!

November 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
Great column here by Larry Brooks: "Owners must step up" - http://m.NYPOST.com http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/owners_must_step_up_DzLlguRn2P34Z9E0MbV9cN …

Good read about teams that make money. I still can't understand why the NYRangers Leafs Canucks Canadians owners don't tell Jeremy Jacobs of Boston to go to Hell. Never liked Boston but now they are without a doubt my most despised team in the NHL even behind Toronto.

November 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

HNIC is there TJ.....it's just historic / classic / significant games of the past. Has anyone else noticed that there aren't many that have the blue team in them? Telling, this is.

And what happened to being able to vote for what game was going to be shown? I can't find that option anymore on the HNIC web page.

November 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Apparently after my joke the other night, I've been blocked by @walsha ... my heartbreak over this is ... is ... ah, I can't do it ...

... thanks, Russell & Pan. Cotton-Eyed Joe IS good for something!!!

November 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck