Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Jared Cowen out for the season

If the NHL ever gets back this season, it will have to be without Jared Cowen. He has a hip flexor injury that's kept him out the past 7 games and was eventually decided to have surgery done. It will put him out the rest of the season be it in the AHL or NHL.

Not good news for one of our corner stones on D.

Should the NHL resume sometime in the near future, does anyone know what happens to players like Cowen who got injured in the AHL earning their AHL salary? Are they "stuck" earning their AHL salary while they recover?

Habs' Blake Geoffrion and Slugs' Cody Hodgson also recently went down with injuries in the AHL.

November 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Ugh....that's not good at all.

November 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

well, if it had to happen, this was the right year for it.

November 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

According to garrioch, he'll be paid the AHL salary. I think he's on entry level so they just don't call him up to NHL but will still get treatment in Ottawa by the team

November 13, 2012 at 7:58 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

IF he's out for the season, and IF we actually have NHL hockey this season (and I'm not sure which is the bigger IF):

Phillips - Gonchar
Karlsson - Methot
Lundin - ????

Honestly, I don't know much about Lundin, other than he seems to be a bit of another Gilroy/Latendresse ( a test / reclamation project, ie/ dress him and see what happens as it's not a big risk). We have Wiercoch, Gryba, Benoit down in Bingo who could come up and do at least reasonably well, so we at least have possibilities if Cowan is out for a year. The team also has a lot of cap space, even if the cap goes down from what it was projected at with the old CBA, so it could be that a trade / sign FA might be in the works.

Man.....as bad as a subject of Cowan being out for a year is, at least we're talking about hockey and it's not the lockout.

November 13, 2012 at 3:33 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

As per Cowan's agent @RickJValette (via @TSNBobMcKenzie):

Jared has a small tear in his labrum (hip). He will have surgery Saturday morning in New York. I expect he will be out for the season."

Ouch.

November 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

what f**king season? I don't see no f**king season

November 13, 2012 at 11:48 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Hahaha! TJ that made me laugh. Spot on.

Sens blueline becomes very thin once Cowen is subtracted. Watching the BSens
- Wiercioch needs a lot of work (too slow, shot not great, not nearly physical enough for his size, not great decisions on the ice)
- Boro (a bit of a hot head, undersized, decent skater, good shot)
- Benoit (very similar to Bryan Boyle, smooth skater, jumps with the rush, small d-man)
- Gryba has decent size and physicality.
- Eckford is quick, physical, good decision maker. Played 4 games for NJD in 2010-11

I see Eckford, Benoit, and maybe Gryba getting a shot on the 3rd or 2nd pairing. The Sens like to pair a physical/slow/stay at home D with a quick/offensive D.

So, I see it like this:
Phillips - Karlsson
Gonchar - Benoit
Methot/Lundin - Gryba/Eckford

November 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

what f**king season? I don't see no f**king season

God I hate lockouts !!

November 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM | Registered CommenterHomer