Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Are We Going To Have A Lockout???

We all agree with this don't we ;)

August 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

As bad as that is Puck, I've got to agree!!

August 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

hhhmmm...tough, tough, call.

August 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

gotta agree bunny's because that would mean someone found the fountain of youth and we'd all be in living into our late 100's.

August 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I'd at least watch game 1......

August 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

... I'd watch that series only on two conditions: ... 1) Ottawa has won a Cup already, and 2) I get to watch Nicky Figgs hoist a Cup after a four game sweep ...

August 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Sens/Leafs Eastern Conference Final!

Bluejackets/Wild Western Conference Final!

August 27, 2012 at 4:00 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

for every game of Alfie's last season that I miss because of a lockout, i will be mailing the owners and Buttman, in rotation, a Cleveland Steamer.

August 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Are We Going To Have A Lockout???

Yes

August 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Russell why are u picking on a city in the US? it could easily be a Toronto Steamer couldn't it?

August 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I think it would be more like a Toronto 'Crock of Beans' -- at least, that's how I feel after I've been there. It doesn't have the same ring though.

August 30, 2012 at 5:44 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

i doubt the players would be too upset with missing training camp or at least having a much reduced one. don't expect any serious movement on the CBA until into October, IMO.

August 31, 2012 at 4:15 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

we wont see any hockey until late November - American thanksgiving when the NHL's contract with NBC starts. At least we will have the Winter Classic though :)

August 31, 2012 at 4:49 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

I really like this story, mostly because it echoes a lot of my thoughts on the current "negotiations" (which are nothing of the sort) on the CBA:

Bettman is neighbourhood bully in NHL talks

You have to hand it to Gary Bettman – the man has all the animal bases covered.

Bettman has the cheek of a cat burglar, the determination of a pit bull and the stubbornness of a mule. He treats hockey fans like a bunch of monkeys and his latest offer to the NHLPA was pure, unadulterated horse patootie.

All the NHL needs is some meaningful revenue sharing. It needs to tell Ed Snider to stop behaving like the biggest hog at the trough: Snider’s Flyers tried to wreck the small-market Nashville Predators with an absurd offer to restricted free-agent Shea Weber, which the Predators were forced to match.

But Snider is (with Boston’s Jeremy Jacobs) one of the two greedy, big-market owners who have Bettman’s ear. He’s one of those insisting that the system is broken. If that’s true, guys like Snider broke it. And Craig Leipold of the Minnesota Wild, who whines that the system is broken and the Wild aren’t making money because player salaries are too high. This, of course, was right before Leipold signed Zach Parise and Ryan Suter to ridiculous deals.

If the NHL owners have problems, they’re entirely of their own making. The league has never been healthier or richer. There is no reason for the absurd offers Bettman is making, no reason for a lockout, no reason to lose another season.

September 3, 2012 at 12:22 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Thanks for posting Kardinal. I saw Logan Couture tweet the link this morning. The excerpts you copied were great. I also like this:

Dumbest fan comment on the pending lockout: “The players are a bunch of overpaid bums. I’d play for free.”

We must have seen that one in the comment strings 100 times already and the lockout hasn’t even started.

Truth is, guys, you wouldn’t play for free – even if you had the talent, which you don’t. You wouldn’t stand up to the stress of 100 brutally difficult games every year, you wouldn’t help earn $3.3 billion for the owners last year, you wouldn’t risk the dark underworld of concussions night after night, you wouldn’t put world-class skills on display for free.

All that is a lot of horse hockey and the guys who are saying it are a bunch of pathetic wannabes who haven’t done their homework. NHL players lay it on the line every night. Their seasons are like running a marathon and getting hit by 230-pound defencemen along the way.

I’d love to see some of these “I’d play for free” numskulls out on an NHL rink, night after night. Humiliating themselves in public, taking NHL hits, seeing how their bodies wear down after even two weeks at that pace. It’s a dumb thing to say, fellas — especially when you can’t back it up.

Once a fool, always a fool: No one, not even Bettman, has treated NHL players the way they were treated by Alan Eagleson.

I am going to side with the athletes on this one obviously and agree with the above excerpt from the article.

September 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

I agree that unless the players fold, there is little chance of hockey before US Thanksgiving. The players should tell the league that if there is no new agreement signed by say October 1, there will be no winter classic this year. That would hurt the US tv market and cost the owners big bucks.

September 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Saw this and thought of this thread.

September 6, 2012 at 8:22 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness
September 15, 2012 at 2:22 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

... I guess we have our answer, hunh Gary???

September 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Politics in sports, its what I live for! literally, this situation is nothing compared to what I experience every day at work.

Can someone honestly tell me they read through the entire now expired CBA? Gotta love those sport and law classes I took in school!

September 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

... we have options ...

Where's ladies curling?

September 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

where's ladies curling?

... didn't have to be on the list. OF COURSE, we'll watch ladies curling, ... we'll just watch MORE ...

September 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Tonnes of options: Ottawa 67s games now at the Bank, i'm probably going on Thursday for their home opener.

Save the date boys and come watch me perform on October 27th. Details will be made available soon.

September 16, 2012 at 4:42 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Looking for investors for my proposed Ladies Lingerie Curling League. I can't see how it cannot be a success.

September 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

saw this on twitter.

I happen to agree with the first point, the players have a lack of confidence and this is shown by a number of them already signing with other teams. No solidarity! What if they agree to a new agreement in three weeks time? Not that is likely but you never now

September 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness