Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Are We Going To Have A Lockout???

The NHL PA just released their proposal to the NHL today. This proposal is NOT in answer to the already released NHL proposition – in fact, the NHL PA has indicated that there will BE no reply to the NHL’s proposed agreement, rather that they are offering an entirely different idea altogether … an entirely different way of sharing revenue with the NHL coffers.

The NHL’s proposal was drafted and ok’d by Bettman and the owners, who have been raking in piles of revenue since the last lockout. The owners are obviously still making money hand over fist – otherwise they would not have given Bettman a 5 year extension …

Yeah. Like the bear said in ‘Ted’, “… we are very far apart on this.”

My gut says that with just over a month to go until Bettman’s little September 15th deadline … I think that we are not going to have NHL hockey this coming season. Make no mistake, that makes me VERY angry … all that waiting for Alfie’s decision, joy at seeing him return and looking forward to what we can do with our pieces for next year – phut, gone.

Hopefully, I’m very wrong … but unless these groups sit down and hammer something out soon, the 2012-13 season is toast.
Counter arguments? Agreement? Tears? Bacon? Let us share …

August 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Bacon. Or perhaps Stooli's favorite, bacon lube. We're going to need some, as the fans are last on the list of interested parties in this CBA negotiation. Actually, we're second last, with the events staff at arenas being the last. However this turns out, we aren't going to suddenly find tickets / sweaters / other branded products are suddenly much less expensive than they were. We *might* get a nice "thank you fans" written on the ice though.

I'm curious to see how the NHL reacts to the NHLPA's 'alternate proposal', as it's not a counter-proposal, but a different way of looking at the entire situation. I think Ken Warren's tweet (@citizenwarren) summed up where things are rather well:

Do richest NHL teams care more about their own teams or the NHL as a whole? That's the answer we're all waiting for.

August 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Another thing is that the NHL can back out of the winter Classic as late as Jan 1st and it will only cost them $100K in penalty vs the $3M rental agreement. I wonder if any of the previous Winter Classic had an out like that. If it's something new to this year why would MSU agree to that?

August 15, 2012 at 12:08 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

If we have a lockout this year, my ovaries are going to explode!

August 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

Dr. Duck, calling Dr. Duck..STAT!!.....Canuck needs your expert advice.....it seems the ovarian phenomenon is contagious....it could become an epidemic!!

August 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

This is serious....this condition has rendered Puck incapacitated!!!.....the prognosis is good though!! Hopefully she'll be back in no time....ovaries intact!!!!

August 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

OMG ... did you guys see the proposal from the NHL PA??? It is dee-licious ... slurp! All this talk of shared revenue gets me SO hot!!! Ooo la la, I may hafta change my undies!!!

August 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

How are YOUR ovaries Duck???

August 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

Duck, you are way too good at this.....it's a little scary!!

August 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

Gary Bettman made it clear the NHL fully understands the NHLPA's proposal. The owners just don't like too much about it. -- Chris Johnston (@reporterchris)

Here we go....looks like I'm watching midget hockey this winter :( .......btw, somebody better take care of Canuck cause his ovaries are gonna explode now!!

August 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

Read Tim Wharnsby's latest: #NHL fans should prepare for the worst http://t.co/xJzMJy5p #HNIC #CBCSports -- HockeyNightInCanada (@hockeynight)

More bad news.....sob! sniff! sniff! :(

August 15, 2012 at 9:48 PM | Registered Commenterbeach bunny

An excellent blog post by Dean Brown -- the owners care about themselves, the players care about themselves, but who's caring about the fans? This clause would be awesome, but egos would never allow something so sensible in a CBA.

A clause for the fans in the new CBA

August 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

If you don't listen to Team1200, you may not be familiar with Eric Macramalla, a sports and entertainment lawyer in Ottawa who is a regular guest on TGOR and the Healthy Scratches as well has having a weekly show on the subject. His blog has links to some interviews that he's done on the Team1200 and other radio stations on the CBA, as well as some of his own analysis. It's not what fans want to hear, but he's pretty honest (for a lawyer!) about what's been going on and what still has to happen.

offsidesportslaw.com <-- a link to his website / blog.

August 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

... yeah Beachie, I know ... comes from having a baby sister that spoke fluent 'valley girl' until she was about 28. I made fun of her A LOT ...

... and my ovaries are just fine, thanks. Wouldn't break my heart if Bettman's exploded, though ...

August 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Lloydy (@Steve_Lloyd) tweets what I've been thinking about this whole CBA situation, and I'm wondering when the PA will bring it up, directly, to the owners as a counterpoint to the Buttman's statements about wanting to be like the NFL and NBA (which I believe both have inter-team revenue sharing arrangements):

Isn't cutting NHLPA rev share moot w/out increased rev sharing among teams? Every team gets more, nobody catches up. Competitive status quo.

August 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Here's a thought:

If the players are expected to take a rollback, is Bettman? His salary was ~$3M at the time of the last lockout, and it's ~$8M now.

August 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Bettman is not in the union.... just saying.

I am sick about hearing how much Bettman makes, it is peanuts compared to the other commissioners. And they all scream poor, just look at the NFL last year.

August 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Kardinal don't u realize it was Bettman alone who drove revenues to up over 3 Billion and he deserves that raise.

I predict Hockey back in December so the NHL can have it's precious Winter Classic--he's following exactly what the NBA did. The NBA wanted that Christmas opening to the season and the Winter Classic is the NHL's Xmas. The NFL lost some exhibition games but no real games but each week in the NFL is like Xmas to most of us fans.

I really hate Bettman and the dicks he works for---this time I think hate is appropriate.

August 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

From the friend of a friend file: Had lunch with my friend yesterday and he says his "friend" told him that while things are still going ahead in hopes that the season will start on time, strike plans have really ramped up this last week. A lot of the suppliers and companies involved with the Sens have been or will shortly be contacted concerning how a lock out will affect them. As well, there have been rumors that Murray has been working on a couple of deals for players he would like to pick up. However, those deals are now on hold until after a new agreement is reached.

August 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter: http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/08/18/simmons-nhl-labour-talks-dont-know-dont-care

August 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Let me get this straight:

If there is a lockout and the entire season is lost, NBC pays the NHL ~$200M and their deal is extended another year. Two hundred million dollars for.....no content at all. (reference: NBC / NHL deal details)

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

August 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

The whole lockout mess is such BS. When a team moving to another city comes up (I'm thinking of when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg last year) the whole thing was hammered out and settled in a little over a week. (Or maybe less, I'm not quite sure)

These guys meet like a few times a month to hammer out something that could be solved in 1/10th that time, I don't know why they're allowed to get away with it.

August 22, 2012 at 4:58 PM | Registered CommenterSpezzial Delivery

So, there was a lock out the year before we started the podcast and now there will be one after we stopped doing it. Obviously, the game can't go on without us.

August 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

So, there was a lock out the year before we started the podcast and now there will be one after we stopped doing it. Obviously, the game can't go on without us.

... sorry guys, you'll hafta speak up ... I can't hear you over the sound of Russell's head inflating ... ;0)

August 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Jim Ralph was on the radio today and made a great point. why did they wait until a month before the season was supposed to start to begin negotiating? obviously, the answer is that a dead line proposal puts more pressure on your adversary and will hopefully win you more. but what it shows is that the fan is really given no consideration at all in this whole process. if they REALLY wanted to avoid a stoppage, they would have started negotiating a year ago. they knew that by starting so late, a lockout was virtually guaranteed and obviously, they were fine with the idea. so, basically, screw you and me, they want their money money money!

August 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell