Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Blood-Spattered Enforcer Hockey Cards???

Blood-Spattered Enforcer Hockey cards???

Wow, this is very ill-timed considering what had happened when the season started last year. And considering what the NHL is trying to do to improve it’s image around this stuff, very dumb. The NHL can't play dumb on this one - they would have had to approve the use of the imagery and team logos otherwise this “In The Game” card company wouldn’t have been able to use it.

I understand with recent movies like ‘Goon’ that the love for the enforcer is very popular – don’t get me wrong, I loved Carkner for standing up for Karlsson and I still love Neil for the intensity he brings every night. Every one loves their character guys who stand up for their teammates. But … we are only just starting to understand the long-term price that these guys pay for playing the roles that they do. Putting out cards like this glorifies the violence of the game too much … these guys deserve to move on to a life after hockey, period.

I own Goon on Blu-ray, loved the movie. But … but a small dark sad part of me wonders if the true version of Goon 3 will feature the alcoholic punch-drunk ravings of Doug Glatt before he hangs himself in a motel bathroom …

July 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

i think they had these last year too.

and by the way, the nhl never plays dumber. they take their dumb very seriously.

July 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell