Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Free Agent Frenzy Day

I'm just curious to see how the whiny Rangers fans reacted to Carks moving "right next door"...

July 3, 2012 at 11:46 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

I love Carks but $4.5mil for 3 years? He could be concussed tomorrow doing what he does. Just too much. Really wish there could have been a way for him to stay. I'm not sure he was 100% healthy at the end of the year either.

Foligno had to go. All speed and no finish, plus too many selfish penalties. It wasn't entirely the refs boys.

I don't know a lot of these guys coming in. It looks like we ain't goin' for it next year and that the owner and GM are planning for a multiple year rebuild. I'm excited about Silf. He looked ready to start learning on the big team. I have not been impressed with Z-Bad the "power forward" at all. LIke Runbald he seems overhyped. Still so young though. Z-bad needs a full season in Bingo in my view. Murray went out on a limb with this guy. It's still up in the air.

I hope we sign some muscle. That isn't really Neil's job any more. His job is now a pest/occasional fighter/sometimes goal scorer/body checking menace. He's been promoted.

July 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Rob Klinkhammer to the Yote's.... we lost one hell of a hockey name boys.

July 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

Instead of looking around for toughness to replace Carks and Z-Kop and that can be a bit on the expensive side... wouldn't it be cheaper for the Sens to just resign Lessard?

that "devils you know" stuff...

etc

PS: Don't go look up videos of Lessard NHL fights... I had to go through too many minutes of The Terminated standing behind the bench...

July 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

i was thinking about Lessard too.

You can really see the different in value comparing Lessard/Colton Orr type guys to Carkner. Carks can actually play 5/6 defensive pairing minutes if need be. He's not awesome but he can actually play. Lessard and Orr types are shockingly bad hockey players.

Carks benefitted from his Game 2 NYC beat down. Islanders brass would have seen that replay over and over in their market.

July 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Gryba doesn't fight no more? What about Darren Kramer? How far away is he from joining the Sens?

July 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM | Registered CommenterIvanDaTerrible

i heard kramer will be in Bingo this season. not NHL ready yet.

July 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

My point with Lessard is, at the price Carkner signed for, he would have been really expensive to keep in the press box, which happened most of last season.

An enforcer like Lessard is not expected to earn that much, so if you have to sit him down for half the season, you're not wasting millions.

Just saw the price tag on Konopka's new contract... wasn't much so I'm not sure why Ottawa didn't sign him, especially after his play during the playoffs.

July 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

I was thinking that MIN wanted Z-kop for the role he played in the playoffs (faceoffs, strong defensively), but since they don't have Staubitz anymore they might want him to fill the drop-the-gloves role. If so, that's a pity, as he's got a much bigger upside in other areas of the game. I was thinking that Clutterbuck filled that role too, but he had only 1 fighting major last year, and when I think back to his play in the OHL, he was more of a weasel/pest than someone who would actually fight (think Kaleta type of player, but bigger and with more grit).

July 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

CARKNER
Why all the fuss about the Sens needing to acquire a top heavyweight?

Carkner's knee is done, so there goes the argument he can play in the bottom pairing.
Detroit has one of the lowest fighting majors totals year after year and they've never had problems with guys going after their Norris Trophy all-star.

A lot of nights last year other teams wouldn't even dress fighters vs. Ottawa.

KONOPKA
Great guy but would rather have one of the young up and coming guys in his spot on the roster.

LATANDRESSE
Here's a low risk gamble on a guy who has potted 20-25 goals a year. If he plays well Mac will use him. If he doesn't, he'll sit in favour of someone else.

DEFENCE
The only piece the Sens lack on the backend is a hard-hitting D-man (other than Cowen who throws the occasional solid hit along the boards).
Borowiecki and Gryba could potentially fill that role if they are ready to make the jump.

July 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Nicky Figgs signs with Columbus for 3yr / $9.25M -- good for him, but that's too much money so I'm glad that it isn't the Sens that are paying that to keep him here. It might be a bit of an overpayment for Columbus to make the salary cap floor, it's more than double the cap of his previous contract had with Ottawa ($3.05M vs $1.2M).

July 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I knew that Don Brennan was an idiot, but come on...

July 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

FOLIGNO
I don't understand Sens fans that say they are glad that Murray didn't overpay for Foligno. The same fans were ok with Mike Fisher being hugely overpaid because he's a good guy in the room/community and he was a force in the playoffs. I am glad the Sens let Foligno go because there are too many players like him on the roster who do the same thing at a lower price. Same fate for Winchester likely.

BRENNAN's APPEAL FOR SEMIN
His main arguments are that it'll help the Sens get to the floor and he'll score goals. Do we seriously need another Alex Kovalev experiment? Semin can be a top 10 scorer but if he's struggling to score is he a deadweight? YES he is! Don't need a younger Floatalev.

July 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I think Foligno deserves that price range compared to the market value, plus he'll be playing top 6 with CBJ. From Brennan's article "Semin’s agent, Mark Gandler, recently told ESPN The Magazine that the Capitals mishandled the gifted Russian right winger.". I think that team has had enough of Gandler in the past when he represented another Russian that was apparently mishandled by Ottawa management.

Bobby Ryan should be the #1 priority right now, and Semin is still available, which means that's no one around the league really wants him. I'm surprised, and the stache is probably the only coach that can handle him, but if he's bad in the room, he's not needed.

July 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Unless Kovalchuck and Semin are mortal enemies, I'm calling Semin to NJD.

Also, how long until Nash does a Lebron like special and announce "I'm taking my talents to..."

July 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg