Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Free Agent Frenzy Day

Matt Carkner to Colorado. Very sad to see him go, and glad that the Sens don't have to play against him. Best of luck, and Murray better be working on some toughness if Z-Kop is also out

July 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Corvo is back in the revolving door that is Carolina.

Apparently the Carks deal is not finalized. Avs tweeted that the deal is done, but the Carker camp said that nothing has been signed.

July 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Burke: "The only reason we didn't sign Justin Schultz is because we didn't have Gretzky and Coffey lobbying for us"

July 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Sens sign Mike Lundin from Minnesota for a 1 year $1.15M. He missed most of the season last year due to a back injury.

In 241 NHL games, he has 4 goals, 31 assists and 54 penalty minutes. He 's no replacement for Carks with those penalty numbers. I think Carks has gotten more penalty minutes in a single game.

Z-Kop has signed a 2 year deal with Minnesota. Sens are gonna have to pick up some toughness this summer.

July 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Sens sign Guillaume Latendresse to a 1 year $1.2M deal. He's played a grand total of 37 games over the past two seasons due to a groin injury and a concussion.

I just hope he can stay healthy. TSN was questioning his conditioning, he's 6-2, 230lbs

July 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Lunging at 1.15 Mil, latendresse @ 1.2....this isn't making a big splash as Murray originally announced, but it does leave lots of money on the table. Here's hoping for Kurtis Foster on D and PA Parenteau

July 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Hey! Andre Benoit's back! Only time I've seen him play for the Sens was in my video game!

July 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Carks signs with the Islanders.

Sad to seem him go... again...

July 1, 2012 at 2:15 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Who the hell is andre benoit?

July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Defense, played in Bingo forever and went to Europe last year

July 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Right, I remember now.

July 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Kuba for $4 mil a year is expensive! Bye bye. I'm sure Shredder's doing a dance right now

July 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

what can go wrong when you trade for a ColumbusBlueJacket? Sad to see Foligno go myself. Looking at the stats side by side this trade sucks for Ottawa. I realize he's a "stay at home defenseman". He only played 47 games and looked like he didn't do sh*t

July 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

the signings today are head scratchers and the trade of Foligno is also in my opinion, but they needed depth on D and they are making room for the new young Forwards on the rise in the system. Did anyone hear Shawn Simpson this week on TGOR talking about ZBad? The coaches and people watching were calling him "soft" I think the word they used??? That's never a good thing about a hockey player, that's if I heard him right.

July 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I'm glad Foligno is gone. He is a marginal player at best and he takes too many bonehead penalties.

July 1, 2012 at 8:24 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Huh, Garrison to Vancouver? I thought their defense was too deep to add Schultz.

I know it had to do with the prospect of him playing top 4 but still...

July 2, 2012 at 2:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Looks like Brodeur signed a two year deal with NJ. I guess Lamoriello and his NJ negotiating team made Marty an offer he couldn't refuse.

July 2, 2012 at 8:19 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I like the signings that Murray did yesterday. We all loved the toughness that guys like ZKop and Carkner showed in the playoffs, but remember during the regular season both had long periods of time in the press box. Or if they did make it into the game they spent most of it in the penalty box.

I liked Figs, but he was just too inconsistent in the 2nd/3rd line tweener role that was likely going to warrant a hefty raise on his next contract. With the rebuild we have going on and the young kids coming in looking for playing time I'm fine with letting him go. Getting a young, steady, above average stay at home defenseman on a cap (not salary) friendly hit is just a bonus for me. Latendresse should replace Figs nicely, if motivated. Otherwise we still have Condra and Greening for our tweener role.

Tampa really missed Lundin and so did Minnesota after he went down with the injury. The guy is a great role player on the backend and was great when I watched him while at UMaine.

So we lose ZKop, Foligno, Carkner, and Kuba (PRAISE ALFIE!) and replace them with Latendresse, Methot, and Lundin, with a roster spot for an additional UFA or Prospect.

We lose a little speed with Foligno, but get that back with Silf. We lose 2 of our fighters, but what are we Brian "GoonSquad" Burke? The team has gotten younger, less penalty prone, now has two defenseman that can hit and block shots which we needed with the astronomical SoG stats from last year, and are still contract friendly for next season where we can really shape the team using the kids and tons of roster spots.

The team is still in a rebuild with several guys coming off career years. It remains to be seen if they can repeat the overachieving from last season. An off season like this sets us up for that as only role players have been moved and some high reward/low risk contracts have been added.

July 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

I don't like that we lost Carkner. Neil's going to have to pick up the toughness slack, which means we'll constantly lose him for 5 min majors.

July 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Nice summary Agent Orange.

I disagree, Gert. A team doesn't need to fight to be tough or to win. But the Sens always got Smith, Neil and the odd other guy that drops them. But I think Murray is building them to be more of a Detroit-type team. Let the other team take penalties - punish them on the PP and scoreboard. Kill them with speed.

July 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Plus we have Gryba on the backburner if we need additional toughness. Cheaper, higher upside, and no knee issues like Carkner.

July 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Can't say I'm impressed with the changes. The defensive pickups are not impressive. A couple of no. 5 or 6 guys. Says something about what Murray thinks of the guys in Bingo. I think we were better off with Kuba and Lee. Sorry to see Carkner go. I remember how teams took advantage of the Sens a couple of years back when we didn't have a heavy weight to keep them honest. I agree it could be a tough year for Neil. Sad to see Foligno go but Latendresse could prove to be a good move if he stays healthy and motivated. Sens need a big body in front of the other teams net.

July 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Let's defer passing judgement on Methot and Lundin until we seem them mesh with their new teammates. Certainly, they both sound stocked and motivated to prove themselves in Ottawa. I'm least stocked about Guy Latandresse. From watching him with the Habs, he's a streaky scorer, who laid some big hits on the forecheck. Haven't watched him with Mini much.

I'm liking how Murray and co. have refused to overpay for anybody this year. The Sens are in good position to pick up bodies if needed at the deadline or and sign others that deserve it in the coming year or 2.

July 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I like the signings that Murray did yesterday. We all loved the toughness that guys like ZKop and Carkner showed in the playoffs, but remember during the regular season both had long periods of time in the press box. Or if they did make it into the game they spent most of it in the penalty box.

One could say they are good at all kinds of boxing. Personally I'm more of an unboxing man myself.

July 3, 2012 at 2:59 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Jeremy Milks on Black Aces:

Losing Carkner won't derail the Senators rebuild. But it doesn't feel right all the same.

I'm a bit more positive than that and we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. But somehow this quote sticks with me. We're not getting worse and might even have become better. But somehow the moves don't feel right yet. But hey, as said before: In the Murray's we trust!

Link to the blog post.

July 3, 2012 at 4:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru