Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Draft day 2012 - The future now

Well it's that time of the year where young prospects are all dressed up in suits planning what kind of car they will buy when they sign their 1st NHL contact. Accompanying those young prospects are their cougar moms that only a curling rink can rival.

Do the Sens move up, move down, stick with their 15th pick and select another steal like they did with Karlsson? Will it be a go-no go for Nash and his 7.8M caop hit for 6 years. Sure the Sens have cap space now, but what about a few years down the road? Salaries for Spezza, Karlsson, Nash on one team? That's a lot of cap space on three players. Don't forget that we have quite a few young prospects who's entry level contacts will expire over the next few years. If one of them turns out to be a top forward or defenceman, that could be another big salary on the books.

Nash's salary payout over the next 6 years is $7.8M, $7.5M, $7.6M, $7.8M, $7.9M, $ 7.9M. Those last two years at $7.9M could hurt if things don't work out. It would be impossible to unload that contract.

June 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I like Malcolm Subban. Draft him and we suddenly have enough goaltending prospects to move 1 of them. Hopefully not for Nash though, that contract will handcuff the team.

June 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM | Registered CommenterCuckelson

Anyone know if New Jersey waived their pick for this year? If so, Columbus just traded 30th overall for Bobrovski, which is a very high price. With CBJ picking up Bob, I think Ottawa is out of the Nash talks as the main strength was the goaltending for Ottawa to deal.

June 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Is this live tonight or can we get results on twitter 1st?

June 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

is Alyonka hot? in your guys opinion

she is in my opinion and wouldn't mind spending some time in that room

June 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Mike Gillis of Vancouver has been saying all week that not much will happen here as far as trades so we'll see

June 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Bettman Sucks!!!!! thought I'd get that in

June 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

... as do the leafs

June 22, 2012 at 7:10 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Edmonton on the clock? who knew? and these idiots can't get right up and go up and take their Russian
get up already you dorks---you've only had 2 or 3 months to decide

June 22, 2012 at 7:11 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

the Leafs always Suck!!! that's a good call Mork

June 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

what are they waiting for?

June 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I hate Edmonton by the way

June 22, 2012 at 7:13 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

of course you do

June 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

a Sens fan is wearing his Praise Alfie shirt it said on the Tweets on the bottom of TSN

June 22, 2012 at 7:17 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Yakapov. That's gonna be a scary line in a few years if they keep them all together

June 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

that's for sure---SanJose and Vancouver are going to have really be creative to keep up with those guys when they start to put it together.

June 22, 2012 at 7:21 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

SJ and Vancouver are the only teams besides Ottawa that I don't hate in the NHL

June 22, 2012 at 7:22 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Lubomir has got to be excited to go to NYI

June 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Ryan's got to be excited to go to Columbus

June 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Homer---why the name change?

June 22, 2012 at 7:26 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

and what do u want the Sens to do tonite? a Dman? trade?

June 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Homer---why the name change?

sound it all out...

June 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Edm is going to give goalies nightmares over the next many years. that is some scary offence.

June 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

oh, evening Sam.

June 22, 2012 at 7:27 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

If I'm the Oilers and I have all those good young players, I put the word out that I'm willing to trade for a couple of established d-men. That would make them a better team a lot sooner.

June 22, 2012 at 7:28 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior