Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Done Deal: EK65 signs.

7 years, 6.5 per. he's all ours to behold!

June 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

w00t!

Now, NHL, do the right thing: award him the Norris he deserves.

June 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Good to get him signed although I hate long term contracts. Now if Murray can swing a deal for Nash, thing will be interesting next year.

June 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

6.5 is a good price too---very good deal for both him and Ottawa

June 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

If it's Lehner Zbad Foligno and the No. 15 pick this year will u guys like that for Nash? That might not even be enough for Columbus

June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I've been listening to a lot of commentary on Nash, and not much of it has been the way I'm thinking but here goes:

1) Nash is 28
2) Has 6 yrs @ $7.8M left on his contract
3) production has been declining for several years (albeit, on a horrid team)
4) Spezza is 29 with 3 years @ $7M left on his contract

When it comes to renewal time for #19, he'll want at least some sort of increase in salary, so that would mean we'd have somewhere around $16M tied up in two players, and if the cap is even where it's estimated to be for next year, that's okay, but if it goes down it starts to get very tight for having a quality team behind them if EK65 is also making $6.5M and there would be at least a few other players in the $4M range.

I'm not sold on Nash coming here at all, mostly due to the contract that comes with him. He's a bit like Luongo: he's good, but not as good as he was thought to be when signed, and it's a question as to if it can come back. Tie that to big $$$, and I'd rather Murray continue the rebuild process and give a chance to Stone/Z-Bad/Noesen/Puempel/Prince over the next few years.

June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Love the Karlsson deal - bought his jersey his rookie year, which was odd for me to look up to someone 10 years my junior.

I don't think Nash is a fit, and giving up all of those pieces would be a big sacrifice, especially considering that Z-bad could possibly put up equivalent points that Nash would. That said, why give up a 2nd/3rd liner in Figgs, a great goal tending option in Lehner (people haven't mentioned Bishop as a flight risk next year being a UFA) and more prospects. It would fit cap wise, but not budget wise. Grow from within as the future of this organization is promising.

The one and only need now is defence. Now, to sign Carkner to 10% of what EK makes.

June 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

> The one and only need now is defence. Now, to sign Carkner to 10% of what EK makes.

I think he deserves 15%, and he'd probably take it. Especially if he got to play more than last year. I could not understand why he was a scratch so often. He brought it every night and was almost never a liability on D.

June 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

I heard that Murray offered Bishop, Figgs and Z-bad. They are probably going to trade a goalie anyway, and I suspect they may be shopping Figgs around to see what they might get. Z-bad would be the gamble here if he turns out to be good. And it would p*ss of Burke if the Sens got Nash.

June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i dunno if nash is really needed here. this is a team being built for a long future. With so many prospects with good potential, I'm willing to hold onto them and wait to see if they pan out.

June 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I'd rather not see Nash come too. Not because of Nash himself, but the contract he takes with him. And what we would have to give up. It also gives the wrong signal about what position the franchise is in. I don't see them as cup contenders next year and would be very happy if they make 8th. It's still rebuild time.

I know we'll have to say goodbye to a few prospects this summer, that's the way it is. But I'd rather Burke overpay than Murray. It'll help the Toronto Composts and he'd probably even score against us. But since they'll finish somewhere below 9th and will trade away even more of their future. It will be good for us in the end,

June 20, 2012 at 6:16 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I think there is going to be a firing at the CBC today......the highlight package that played while the story of EK65's new contract was being told had a number of clips in it, the first two of which were against the Screaming Forest of Failure. Surely, that's gotta be it for someone's career!

June 20, 2012 at 8:31 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

.....thank you hockey gods for blessing The Apostle with the Norris!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=635277

June 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

yeah, and i found out on the TSN ticker while waiting for the cbc broadcast to start, which i now realize was delayed 1 hour. well done, cbc, you are once again idiots.

June 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

amazing! I really never thought they'd rightfully give him that award.

June 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I got the news on Karlsson's win via an alert from the ESPN Scorecentre iPhone app -- and I think most of the Glebe heard me cheer for it.

Lost in the awards list tonight is Alfie winning the King Clancy Memorial Trophy for the player who exhibits the best leadership on and off the ice, and for work in the community.

NHL Honours Alfredsson's community leadership (on the Senators website)

The Golden Gawd and The Apostle win tonight. I like the sound of that.

June 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal