Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The one with the draft, prospects and future considerations.

labru that is incredible work you did and thanks a lot. I love the draft and all the speculation but each year Murray throws a curve like the Karlsson pick, the trading for Rundblad and last year passing on Couturier so who can tell what Murray will do. He makes great moves (Karlsson) and the trading for Turris so u gotta trust what he and his scouts can do.
Whatever happened to GermanRebel he did draft work like labru did this year?

It's only 2 or 3 weeks away too. It will be funny to watch what Burke does since the pressure is really on for them to do something

June 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

you could almost talk me into doing a draft episode just to hear Stooli try to pronounce some of those names.

June 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

and with his Euro accented voice

June 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

draft episode

If you do, I'll send you a Dutch pronunciation of 'doucher' and top you a 'Toronto Excrements' Logo. Hell, if you want I'll give you a Euro pronunciation of all the prospect names. Shredder could fix a soundboard or something...

Ah... one can dream!

June 11, 2012 at 2:55 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

On the Silver Seven blog Parisi commented under a post about Foligno. He had a thought that I wanted to comment on. I tried to log in there, but even after creating an account it made me go through all kinds of hoops and made me accept third party cookies at that. That was it for me and I decided to post in my trusted community here. He stated that if we could get (among others) a first for Foligno, he'd try to trade both first rounders for the 1st overall. To land Yakupov.

What do you guys think?

I'd say knowing the needs on D and the depth thereof in this draft, stick with both first rounders. Especially if the pick to be landed for Foligno is in the top10. And if I had a say in it, I would only trade Foligno if the price was right. His production might leave you wanting for more, but his play is not too easily replaced.

June 11, 2012 at 3:27 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

i doubt you'd get a 1st for foligno. and i know its not fair and every player has to be judged on his own but the whole russian thing has me scared of any of them. there's always the a-trains and the datsyuks but, well, you know....

June 11, 2012 at 9:22 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

u have to wonder what got into Datsyuk and ATrain to separate themselves from all those other head cases.

June 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

u have to wonder what got into Datsyuk and ATrain to separate themselves from all those other head cases.

1) drive
2) committment
3) work ethic
4) attitude

What's the difference between a lot of teens/early 20s and Russian hockey draft prospects? The Russians actually do have someone who will pay them to not work as hard as in the "real world" (aka NHL).

June 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

How would you guys feel if Murray pulled a 'reverse Rundblad'?

Trade away one of the prospects for a pick this year or next. The organisation has quite a few contracts (nearing the 50 mark) especially forwards (LW).

I'm not sure yet, since it would heavily depend on the pick and prospect.

But take for example:
DaCosta and rights to Filatov to the Wild for a 7th overall pick. I would be down with that.
Or:
Wacey Hamilton and Jakub Culek to the Hurricanes for their 2012 and 2013 second round picks.

One can easily see the possibilities. Come on, just fantasize. There certainly are a lot of prospects I'd rather not see go. But the quantity will become a problem and management could certainly help the organisation that way. And not all the prospects are gonna wind up in the NHL. It's not just building a one off, you must stay competitive for years to come (look at Detroit). As far as I know we don't have a 2nd rounder this and next year...

June 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

anything i possible, especially with murray. he likes to come out of left field with stuff we never expected.

June 13, 2012 at 7:59 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

It's Pazeri, not Adami, but it's still an Ottawa Citizen opinion so take it for what it's worth:

Senators have their draft list — here’s who they might be eyeing

Thoughts from the article:

— Sebastien Collberg: RW, 5-11, 174, Frolunda HC (Sweden): Given that the Senators already seem like a branch of the Frolunda alumni club, with Daniel Alfredsson, Erik Karlsson, and Robin Lehner, Collberg would be a natural fit. Ranked No. 3 among European skaters, he has great speed and hands, which helped him get seven points in six games at the world juniors. However, he’ll likely be long gone by the time the Senators pick.

— Hampus Lindholm: D, 6-1, 198, Rogle (Sweden): Ranked fourth among European skaters. He’s a relatively small, offensive-minded defenceman who needs to work on his defensive game. Gee, does that remind you of anyone?

— Pontus Aberg: LW, 5-11, 187, Djurgardens (Sweden): With a late birthday, he was very nearly eligible for last year’s draft. That is attractive, because the extra year in Sweden means he’s probably the most NHL-ready forward this year. Ranked sixth among European skaters, he could still be around when Ottawa picks.

— Olli Maatta: D, 6-2, 200, London (OHL): A good defensive player, he also has an offensive side to him. He also has a lot of international experience, having played in the last two world juniors for his native Finland. A smart player with a good shot. Eighth overall among North American skaters.

— Cody Ceci: D, 6-2, 203, Ottawa (OHL): The No. 6-ranked North American skater, Ceci has a lot of potential but is said to need more of an edge. He would certainly be a local favourite, if he’s still available. He made a big jump, from No. 16 in the midterm rankings, to get into the top 10, so he’s been noticed.

— Radek Faksa: C, 6-3, 202, Kitchener (OHL): He led all OHL rookies in goals (29), assists (37), points (66), game-winning goals (6) and plus-minus (plus-19) during the 2011-12 season, and represented the Czech Republic at the 2012 world juniors, scoring two goals in six games. Ranked seventh among North American skaters, he could still be around when Ottawa picks.

June 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Another Panzeri article, with some interesting Murray quotes:

Murray willing to shake up Senators' draft position

Bryan Murray sent a message to his fellow general managers on Thursday.

His first-round pick in next week’s NHL draft (No. 15 overall) is for sale, so start calling with the offers.

The Ottawa Senators general manager is confident that even at 15 he’d get a good player, but he signalled that all options are open.

That includes both moving up to get a player his scouting staff might have earmarked, or giving up the pick for a player, a later pick, or both.

As well, his options include moving a player off his roster to make the deal more enticing.

“There are people on this team who we are not really interested in trading,” he said.

“But it may well happen that we would try to do something to either add a player or a higher pick. We’re very open minded.

“So if it gets out there that other managers would like to call, I’d be very open with that.”

June 14, 2012 at 4:06 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

That pretty much confirms what we know about the Murrays. Keep all options open, if you really want something, go for it even if it might be a bit unconventional. Trading up, down or away or just picking at 15, I won't be surprised anymore. I'm anxious nonetheless.

June 15, 2012 at 4:08 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Hopefully most of the regulars will be here on Friday for the Draft, here's some new info on what Edmonton may or may not do:

"In only a matter of days, it seems that the perceived Oiler pick has changed, once again. While the popular opinion had been that the Oilers were looking at taking winger Nail Yakupov with the first overall pick, that soon changed to defenceman Ryan Murray. But now, there are articles and discussions out there that the Oilers are actually coveting Oil King defenceman Griffin Reinhart as the top defenceman at this year’s draft.

It is interesting that Yakupov is the consensus top forward, and yet there is no consensus on the top defenceman and yet it is being speculated that the Oilers may take a defenceman. And when it comes to the coach, it looks like that announcement won’t happen until after the draft."
From Kukla's Corner Oil Patch blog

It sure seems that a lot of the Defensemen that Ottawa may be targeting could be taken right before they pick if you believe mock drafts and what the guys on TSN and Sportsnet are saying.
labru what do u think Columbus would do with all the troubles they've had with Russians if Yakupov fell to them at No. 2?

June 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

On the BleacherReport I read following:

His (Murray's) ceiling is so high that Scott Howson felt that he was worth drafting instead of taking all the New York Islanders' entire 2012 draft picks.

I'm not sure yet, but if this is true this might exemplify why Columbus is in the state it is in. Okay, Murray might project to become good, but the Isles picked at 4 (2 spots down) and at 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185. If you have done you're scouting right, there are some huge possibilities there.

Imagine Columbus having 7 Isles picks + 5 of their own (they already traded their 4th and 5th last year).
Possible Scenario:
4. Reinhardt (D), Forsberg, Lindholm or Koekkoek
34. Ville Pokka (D), or Pontus Aberg
65. Adam Pelech (D)
103. Loic Leduc (D)
125. Doyle Summerby (D)
155. Jesse Graham (D)
185. Jake Bisschof (D)
all instead of a single prospect called Ryan Murray. Or they could have taken all our picks because the Isles picked higher than the Sens. Think about that for a second. All the Sens picks plus the Columbus picks (minus the 1st round). I'm no GM, but that's not a bad deal!

BTW The Islanders really seemed to need D, WTF. Kind of we pick only D, throw 'em against a wall and see what sticks.

plus their own:
31. Dansk (G)
62. Korpisaalo (G)
95. Andersson (RW)
152. Zaar (RW)
182. Curcuruto (D)

Ok, I don't know most of these names either, but that could have been a scary group of prospects if scouted well. I know the draft was not this deep, but at the very least you would have a lot of trade fodder.

What do you guys think?

July 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Come to think of it, the fact that the Isles GM (Snow isn't it?) offers this deal puts him immediately in the same category.

July 6, 2012 at 3:43 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I think whatever mental illness sather has has spread to long island.

remember, this is the same team that gave depietro, an unproven goalie, a 15 year deal. how's that working out for them?

July 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The majority of the isles problems are with the owner, Charles Wang, I believe his name is. He runs the team almost like a cult and really liked Snow so offered him the gm spot when Neal disagreed with the strategy that the team had, and then immediately signed diPietro to the long term deal because he wanted him as the face of the franchise.

Although NYI didn't draft much d, they did sign and trade for a lot of them. I think their defense is far superior than last year and they may be less of a joke with Nabakov backstopping for the year.

July 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Maybe this post at SilverSevens explains some of the lunacy over at Columbus and the Island. Apparently neither value their scouting very much.

July 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Wang is good at math

July 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln