Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > IIHF World Championships 2012

After listening to the very last podcast, I was in a sad state of mind. I hadn't seen hockey since. The playoffs don't mean that much to me anymore. Are any of the series any good, BTW? Then I saw the tweet about the WC's on YouTube for FREE. After a few busy days I was able to give it a look. First some highlights and maybe watch a game that looks like a good matchup on paper.

Guess what the first thing was that I saw. I can tell you it made my day, eased my mind and gave me hope for the future. 'He that is the son of Karl, came up the ice with the puck. Then he gave it very swiftly to him that descended from the Silver Mountains. Jake as he is also called buried that thing like there was no tomorrow. They still haven't found that black thing since...'. AYKM, No. 33 from No. 65 WooHoo!!

YouTube

May 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Ahh excuse me, pardon me: USA USA USA

Just finished catching up on WC.

Next!

May 7, 2012 at 5:15 PM | Registered CommenterChuckie

who's in nets for Sweden?

that pass by whoever it was for the 2nd swedish goal was sick, sick i tell you!

May 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

@Uffebodin:

Daniel Alfredsson makes it 5-1 Sweden against Denmark. A perfect snipe in the top corner. #Sens

That just sounds right, doesn't it?

May 7, 2012 at 6:41 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Fortunately, my loving employer has not figured out that they need to block that YouTybe channel. Wathcing Sweden is almost like watching the Sens.

May 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

"Ahh excuse me, pardon me: USA USA USA"
It's still round-robin Chuckie, settle down :)

"who's in nets for Sweden?"
J. Enroth

@Uffebodin:
Daniel Alfredsson makes it 5-1 Sweden against Denmark. A perfect snipe in the top corner. #Sens

May 7, 2012 at 8:24 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

That's right, let's at least post all the Sens goals here.

Milaaan for the Czechs
Dogman for the Latvians
Da Costa for the French
Alfie, Silfverberg and Karlsson for the Swedes

Just some stats:
Milaaan has 1 assist and is leading the Czechs with 9 SOG.
Da Costa has 2 assists playing AVG ~16mins a game
Da Dawg has a goal and an assist 20% SH%
Alfie 1 goal 2 assists playing AVG ~16 mins
Silfverberg has a goal in his first game and cooling a bit down
Karlsson has 1 assist and is leading the Swedes in TOI with AVG ~22 mins

Here's the Daugavins goal:
YouTube
Watch the whole thing for a pretty goal from the Russians.

May 8, 2012 at 3:23 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

I think I'm more interested in team Sweden that Team Canada. Could be interesting if the meet in the playoffs.

May 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I think in that scenario, I'd be hard pressed to cheer for Canada. Sweden's success has more to do with the Sens than Team Canada's.

May 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

Ottawa Senators Projected pick by one website
15 Pick in First Round
Ludvig Bystrom
Ht/Wt: 6' 0"/185 lbs
Position:D
Team: Modo (Swe)

another Swede to Ottawa?

May 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I like Bystrom at that spot, but i think the better pick is another Swedish defenseman: Hampus Lindholm (6'2"/192 lbs) Rogle(SweJE)

While he played in a lesser league and he has slightly less offensive upside than Bystrom, he has a nastier,grittier side than Bystrom.

Idiotic early comparisons are:

Bystrom = Kaberle
Lindholm = Kronwall

I think Lindholm fits in better on the defense we're building as we could use a guy with some offensive flair to be a shutdown guy as well (e.g. Big Rig and Volchenkov).

May 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Update from Scandinavia:

Watch the highlights from the Czech Republic vs. Latvia. Featuring a goal from Michalek and two big chances from Daugavins.

YouTube

May 11, 2012 at 3:23 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Just a few remarks from halfway watching the Russia vs. Sweden game:

-Yemelin is a doucher
-International refs suck a$$ too
-65 from 11! WooHoo!
-Allthough less physical than NHL games, the refs let more go as well. A blatant retaliation spear is called as a 2mins slash!
-PK's take time to train. PP's are way too effective.
-The commentators on You`Tube make my English sound great (and you've heard that).
-Did I say, the refs sucked?

May 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Ended up ffw'ing the 3rd period. Wouldn't want it to ruin my Saturday night.

-I don't think the final score reflects the game well. If they'd meet again in the playoff round, the result could be quite different.
-Same old story. Game was allowed to escalate, because the right penalties weren't handed out.
-Ok, it sucked that the Swedes lost, after leading deservedly.

May 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

i'd love to hear how "doucher" sounds with a dutch accent.

May 12, 2012 at 6:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

It is sure nice to watch the Swedish team with Alfie, Karlsson and Silfverburg playing together.

Sadly for Dog-ovens, he took 2 penalties that ended up in goals.

May 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

Via @PSBJoyOnTheSens:

#Sens Da Costa (6 pts.) and Daugavins (2) done at #WHC. Alfredsson (7), Karlsson (7), Silfverberg (2) and Michalek (2) play on. #BSens

May 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Did you see the Sweden - Latvia highlights? Some arsehole jumped Karlsson in a very similar fashion to the Boyle ambush. Coincidence? Or is Karlsson turning into a pest? lol

May 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

breaking news: team sweden signs journeyman mattias carknersson to a one game contract.

May 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

So Canada was eliminated this morning. No surprise. I tried watching the replay of the game last night, and I switched the channel becuase I got tired of hearing all the leafers names. Seriously is Phaneuf the best Canada has to offer?

The leaf stink went deep on that team.. Go Team Sweden!

May 17, 2012 at 10:50 AM | Registered CommenterPortera

Finns eliminate USA by scoring the game winner with 8 seconds remaining in the 3rd.

Would be interesting if the two hosting nations Sweden and Finland play in the finals :)

May 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

LOL@Portera

The Finns call the Swedes nothing but a bunch of furniture makers. The Swedes think the Finns are a bunch of drunks. Whose right? I have no idea but our house in Seattle area is full of IKEA furniture and booze

May 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

they're both right.

May 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell