Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Continuing a podcast (all listeners read)

I've been thinking of this loosely and really due to the timing of it all - I guess I just need to throw the idea out there and see if it catches wind.

First off - there is no replacement of the quality of podcast Shredder, Russell and Stooli have delivered. Anything new or continued by others shouldn't be compared - because it can't be. I've had a glimpse at the professional equipment, preparation and time that goes into their weekly work - and its pretty awesome.

But what about a new podcast, low maintenance, lower "quality" in terms of production, but of similar ilk. Is there a group of guys (doesn't have to always be the same 3-4" who'd want to devote an hour or two once a week or once every two weeks during hockey season to have something continue? Perhaps given technology we don't have to meet - it could be a phone in from PuddleDuck, we can use one of the many free or low priced conferencing solutions - we call in.. shoot the breeze about the Sens and hit record. Unpolished, Unapologetic, throw in our funnies, etc.

take a look at what "the Flag King" does on twitter. He records himself on his computer mic for 15 minutes. That's his podcast. Surely 2-4 of us a week can do something similar and have that banter to serve the needs of us (a) venting, (b) helping those Sens fans in enemy lines, and (c) discussing the progress of Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Stone, etc.

Any thoughts? Again.. this idea isn't formed yet.. I just have to toss it out now due to the fact there is likely 1 last podcast one for Sens Underground. Yes, I'd volunteer.

Heck I'm sure Russell or Shredder couldn't resist the urge to participate once in a while and I bet they'd enjoy not having so much prep or production to worry about. Perhaps I'm underestimating the task here... but I think the key to survival might be (a) low maintenance (an easy method of recording and (b) a free easy forum to compliment a simple web site. I do have web experience as well as setting up a itunes podcast (fairly easy)

Ok.. idea tossed out there.. if you're interested, comments? thoughts?

April 28, 2012 at 3:03 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Canuck, I think you're onto something here. instead of 2 or 3 guys continuing it, many people do! community-run podcast that everyone/anyone could participate in. there must be a way to set up a platform that anyone with a mic on their computer could record something and post it. could be different people every week. or with more people doing it, it could even be more often than once a week.

just imagine: TJ's Hate of the week, Agent Orange's Gin recipe segment, Systine's Spezza Love Korner, Homer's weekly top TWSS. the possibilities are endless!

this could be a really cool idea and a way to keep our little Underground community alive. I'd urge you guys to look into this and I couldn't think of a better legacy for us to leave.

April 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Keep the ideas flowing!

April 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Let me through my two cents in....

1. Really the quality and the personalities made the podcast, hell I would have listen to them if they were a Yotes podcast. We do know there are some gems out there like Kard, and could be others (no offence to the other guest hosts :P)
2. It is nice to have a community but others do exist, I.E. SensNation.
3. Someone would still have to manage the podcast so that just any clown could not post something (like a Leafs fan). Then you have to invest in the time to vet the submissions.

Not that the idea doesn't have merit but it is more effort then you might think for it to be as successful as this.

April 28, 2012 at 3:47 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Now if they gave us the name, domain, and user base.... well I think we could do something :)

April 28, 2012 at 3:51 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

My idea would not involve a regular set of hosts which meet weekly (or bi-weekly) to shoot the breeze in similar format. External contributions would be screened :)

April 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Well, speaking from experience... I run a site, actually is more then a site is a entire Charitable Organization that people pay to join. Not only do we have an on-line presence, forums, email lists, etc, we also have a newsletter and hold monthly meetings where we fill our room to capacity but trying to get "members" to contribute on a regular bases is difficult. Just chasing people down to do things can take lots of effort, without a set group to do a show you could end up with 3 shows one week and not another one for a month.

It will turn out to be the same 5 or 6 people doing everything so those individuals should just do it!

April 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

you could probably set it up so only registered, pre-approved people could post. that way, you keep the trolls out.

sure, it won't be the same as what we did but who's to say it won't be better? I think it would be cool to hear different opinions each show instead of the same ones. I really enjoyed having the guest hosts on this year. I found it changed up the dynamics and i thought in was interesting to hear someone else's opinion.

yes, there are other existing communities out there but, to my knowledge, i don't think there's any podcasting ones re: the sens.this could be something really unique. and with the ability for anyone to participate and have their say, you might find more people getting involved in a much more substantial way.

come on folks, keep brain-storming this.

April 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

But Russell the branding you have built is key... I will give you $100 for it :)

April 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

LMAO!

I'd have to speak to the others about that, obviously. that's a joint discussion between the 3 of us. I don't know all the details of what Shredder does to run this thing. but either way, i think Canuck has a great idea here. im sure there's a ton of details but where there's a will.....

and David could work out the math for us.

April 28, 2012 at 4:18 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

How about you keep this site going over the summer, Canuck and others can bang out the details and build a site. Then if you guys like it and it is not a pile of crap you can talk about transitioning the name and domain . You all still own all the naming rights, the new site just lease's it from you and will host all the past episodes and blogs (if you want that).

April 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Canuck, I too share your sentiment of wanting to keep this podcast, and this community, going. I have to admit I've been bitten by the radioactive spider that is SU and having had the chance to take part in recording a few episodes I'd like it to continue and want to do my part in helping it do so. I like the idea of 'rotating guests' as that seems to have worked pretty well this season, but I think there also need to be a core of 'regulars' for continuity from episode to episode as well as keep things on track and organized during the episodes. Russell and Shredder kept me on track as I have a tendency to tangent and fixate on off-topic discussion that seems interesting at the time (in the "blah blah blah...SQUIRREL!" way of things), and I think that having one or two 'regulars' would help keep things smooth and moving.

April 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Kardinal and Systine hit the nail on the head. You need the dedication and preparation of Russell and Shredder to have a solid foundation in terms of format, quality of broadcast, etc. and a certain je ne sais quoi that StooLi brings. Everyone one of those guys had certain responsibilities that added to the quality of this broadcast that would make me look forward to it.

I've listened to a few other hockey fans broadcasts and they just pale in comparison to what these guys did. I think now we're truly starting to grasp how much these guys put into this and what it took to entertain so many Sens fans around the world. And all for the love of the Sens, talking hockey and having fun. I would compare their departure to Alfie's eventual retirement this year or next.

My suggestion would be to go with the rotating cast of regulars (i.e. spread the burden of the show over more bodies) but keep a lot of the same format of the show, or even bring back some old favorite segments. Obviously, new and original segments will organically emerge. So, Systine's idea of taking the baton from the SU in some sort of leasing agreement makes the most SENSe.

The only thing I don't know how you guys will pull off is the quality of production, but I'm sure Shredder would provide some pointers and teach you how to "jig the cables."

It would be fun to hear the original SU members as GUESTS to the new crop of SU hosts. Call them the Bingo call-ups :))

April 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

good point. what the hell DID Stooli do on this show?

April 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I actually agree with Vergil & Kardinal & Systine. I kind of knew I was posting the idea too soon, and the first few comments really showed that what I had in my head didn't translate to what I wrote. That's the danger of not forming the idea better.

So, here are some expansions on my idea which hopefully make it clearer:

- The "new" podcast would likely have 3-4 "regulars." The regulars are needed to keep the flow. However, the idea being that maybe some weeks 1-2 of the regulars can't make it so it's not a pressure situation of having 3 guys commit to every week. It's a small pool of regulars: some weeks you have them all, one week you might miss one. A really bad week you might only have 2. The idea here being - offering a little flexibility to the commitment of the hosts. Heck, we get busy, cancel a week. The point here - make it easier to be a host.

- (NOT RESEARCHED YET) If possible, use something like Lync, or WebEX, or GoToMeeting, or some cheap alternative so that we don't have to necessarily drive and meet centrally. That way even a PuddleDuck from Kingston could join once in a while, or a Don in Oakville, etc. This also makes the commitment a little easier. Whatever the service is, it needs to be clear to hear (phone quality at least), and it has to be recordable. Maybe this idea fails here.. but this is the idea I had in back of my head... and where the "low maintenance" thought came from. It will NOT be anywhere near the quality Shredder produces, but I think we could find something that comes out ok. Maybe I'm dreaming here. Maybe we all use 3-way calling to string the hosts together and use something to record it. This is the part of my idea that needs research. Needs to work, needs to be simple.

- Perhaps I need to approach a few folks I think are interested (Kardinal, David, etc.) and come up with something a little more concrete :) We do have the off-season to figure it out.

- I'm not opposed to it, but I just assumed it wouldn't be "Sens Underground" as the name .. because, I don't think it is replaceable :)

April 29, 2012 at 3:08 PM | Registered CommenterLegatron

whatever u guys do I'll be listening---hate of the week is very intriguing

April 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I would suggest cutting back to 1 or 2 shows a month, less discussion on each individual game, more discussion on the Sens and the NHL in general. (i.e. how bad the refs and lafs suck suck) I like the idea of interviewing someone from Bingo 3 or 4 times a season.

April 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Thank god you spoke up, Canuck ... I was waiting for someone to say something, ANYTHING to this effect ...

Because of my location and logistics, I don't really think I can be a core member of this little posse ... just wouldn't work and wouldn't be fair to the rest of you. Believe me - I wish this was different. But - any help/assists this little duck can give from old Kingston town are yours to have ... let's discuss.

If more people are going Underground, we're gonna have to buy more shovels ...

April 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

just imagine: TJ's Hate of the week, Agent Orange's Gin recipe segment, Systine's Spezza Love Korner, Homer's weekly top TWSS. the possibilities are endless!

Ivan's Shot From The Slot!!! Oh ... wait, no ... that's not gonna work ... ewwww ...

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Duck, in this day an age you can be a contributor from anywhere in the world. 3 years ago the company I work for closed its office, didn't get rid of the people (well they did some of that too). They left the burden of having an office on the employee so we all started working out of our houses. The fact of the matter is the people I work with are all over the world so I was on the phone and using desktop sharing software all day anyway. In the end the people I work with didn't even realize I was out of my house. My business phone is Skype, I have a pay account so I can call phone numbers and they can call me. It works great (quality is as good as a land line and much better then a cell), I can do conferencing no problem and with another piece of software can record everything.

Plus, if we are going to lose the current personalities I think it would be good to hear other peoples views on the team outside of Ottawa. Being in Toronto I do not get all the Ottawa news the locals do and have had completely different views on some situations because of the reporting that I see/read. It would be interesting if others outside of Ottawa have these same thoughts.

April 30, 2012 at 8:39 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

Looks like SensChirp is looking for a new home... hmmmmm.

April 30, 2012 at 6:08 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

I like the idea a lot, and hopefully, with the SU boys still being interested, we would have a core of 6. Another alternative is that we tank the new podcast and make it terrible to frustrate the current hosts so that they come back.

I think another key would be the forums. I find he forums to be great and really how this works as a community. Having a functional site for this would, in my opinion be a must.

Russell, I'll offer you one million Ed Belfour dollars for the domain name.

April 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Maybe Bob Cole and Don Cherry would be interested in coming on board. They may looking for jobs next season.

April 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Would be great to see it continued!

May 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Maybe Bob Cole and Don Cherry would be interested in coming on board. They may looking for jobs next season.

Then we'd have to change the name to Ottawa Sens Underground

May 1, 2012 at 6:47 AM | Registered CommenterHomer