Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The "Off-Season"

I'm getting a little nervous about this season. If 27 goal scorer Danlel Alfreddsson doesn't come back then we need some guys to really start to get their mojo goin, ie., Turris and Silferberg. Also, Michalek will need another healthy year.

Also, I'm not sure we've dealt with Kuba's departure. I'm praying Alfie comes back, comes back at 100% of last year's abilities, and gives us another bridge. One thing though: get him off the Turris line!

Can't wait for the season to start.

July 25, 2012 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Only way I can think of to get Alfie off the Turris line is to move him back to the top line... you think he can handle all the pressure and playtime?

July 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Columbus Gatorade coolers suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced...

July 26, 2012 at 11:50 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

wave bye bye to BobbyButler, he's been waived. The Senators are going to have to improve to make playoffs with what Carolina, Montreal, Buffalo and the teams below them have been doing to improve. Alfie needs to come back for sure and they need Stone or Silver to make the team and play well.

NYRangers are way better by the way. effing Columbus

July 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

you'd think the Rangers are better, and they might be, but don't automatically assume it. we've seen many times in the past that too many stars can gunk things up. not enough pucks to go around and too many egos. lets wait and see how that works out.

July 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The Sens are building a team. They could have gone out with ridiculous offers to Semin, Nash, etc. but I think they are banking on having a team made up of guys who have won and lost together, but are getting better as a group.

Getting rid of Butler is a great move. He had plenty of chances. I also wasn't sure of his attitude and work rate. Look at the trouble with him early on last season. Him and Filatov lolly gagging while everyone else is listening and trying to impress the new coach during practice.

The more work horses you have on a team the better. Guys like Greening, Turris, Cowen, O'Brien, Condra, Daugavins who keep pushing. I think the Sens will rely on winning by committee. Not single game flashes by a star.

They were very lucky Spezza, Alfie and Karlsson were healthy for the season. But I wouldn't be too worried if one went down with an injury now because of the amount of talent and work ethic on the roster, and the backups in Bingo.

July 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

yeah yeah Russell quit bringing common sense and reason to these posts, I need to rant and be pissed off not listen to reasoned responses.
:D

The Sens by the way were never ever going to offer Semin anything. They lived thru Kovalev once

July 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

so, you mean you hate reasoned responses? ;)

July 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

tj, please use paragraphs... your post can easily be read as "Butler is gone, now the Sens will have to get much better because he's gone"

:P

July 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

LOL dadexter, that would have been Leaf like in its absurdity

July 28, 2012 at 2:35 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/why-nhl-teams-cry-poor-despite-the-leagues-record-growth/article4429817/

This article by James Mirtle explains the NHL CBA fight

“I know other leagues have meaningful revenue sharing,” one agent said this week of the NHL’s revenue gap dilemma. “The NHL hopes that the media and fans ignore that fact. Owners would rather try to pound on players than pound on each other.”
This paragraph is the essence of the fight, it's Toronto NYR Chicago Philly Vancouver not wanting to give any more $$ to their fellow owners in piss poor US locations.

July 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

This paragraph is the essence of the fight, it's Toronto NYR Chicago Philly Vancouver not wanting to give any more $$ to their fellow owners in piss poor US locations.

Exactly -- owners of big market teams that make a lot of money want to be able to spend a ton and want the cap to stay high, the small market teams want it to go down so that they aren't hemorrhaging money, and they join forces to get the costs down by putting the weight on the players rather than amongst themselves.

August 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I have to say I agree with this article. I think Murray made a big mistake not signing Carkner. They had a ton of cap space and even though he has a bad knee, he would only be a part time player and would have lots of chances to rest it.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/08/02/sens-face-headaches-on-3-fronts

August 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

So the question now is, does Stooli go out and get a Bobby Butler Devils sweater?

August 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

If there is a lockout, I think we should all get a Phoenix jersey with Bettman's name on it... after all, aren't their requests for the CBA intended to get dollars back into the pockets of money-losing franchises?

*sigh*

Please don't make me watch the QMJHL...

August 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Agree with Joffrey Lupul's tweet seen here

Please no more mention of the L word!!!!

August 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness

Viktor Stalberg tweeted this

Anyone excited or nervous about this?

August 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM | Registered Commentermethottomymadness