Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The "Off-Season"

Fans of other teams I talk to (mostly Habs fans) all say they'd do anything to have a guy like Neil on their team.

July 11, 2012 at 11:22 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

So Bettman and the stupid ass owners want the players to lessen their % something like 11% less than they are now getting, along with more restrictive free agency, less years on their contracts, everything goes against the PA and the owners don't sacrifice a damn thing.
This after Bettman and the stupid ass owners won the last agreement with the PA and the revenues have actually sky rocketed after losing a whole damn season. Only the poorly located franchises in the US are losing lots of money yet the actual product that we all pay to see and who are the game are supposed to make every sacrifice and give back money while the stupid ass owners in Toronto Vancouver NYRangers Boston get richer and the poorly run and poorly located franchises get more money back from the players and not more revenue sharing from the stupid ass Leafs and other rich franchises. I'm usually for ownership in fights like this MLB NBA and NFL but this one is so obvious that the owners are wrong it's ridiculous and these owners are going to make us fans lose games all so the franchises like Toronto and Vancouver don't have to share more with the little poor US franchises that shouldn't even be in the NHL. Bettman is such a tool.

July 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

tj, that was a spectacular rant, and you didn't say 'hate" once! outstanding!

July 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

LOL Russell--on my first take at the end I wrote "I really hate Bettman and Toronto" but knew I say hate way to much on the Forums.

But really they are f'ing with our game and over the fact they don't want to share revenue, this is all on the rich franchises and not the players this time, there is more than enough money this time and it's not the players who are greedy. They are the lowest paid of the 4 North American leagues. I mean BarryFu**ing Worthless Zito of the SFGiants makes over 20 Million a year more than twice than Sidney Crosby so the hockey guys are not overpaid and not the problem.

July 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Philly signs an offer sheet with Shea Weber that is rumoured to be 14yr / $100+. Nashville has 7 days to match it or they get, depending on how the average cap hit works out, either 4 x 1st round picks or 2x 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd round pick. My first reaction was "take the picks and run away from that money/contract length", but with how strong the Flyers are now I doubt they'll be picking before the 20s for quite a few years so the the picks aren't worth as much as they might seem (like the Leafs picks for Kessel turned out).

Parise and Suter get 13 year contracts, Weber gets a 14 year offer.........and the team owners are looking for a 5 year maximum in the new CBA. Yup, it's official: the GMs need to be protected from themselves, not from player agent demands.

July 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Scott Gomez Gets Hole-In-One in His Own Charity Golf Tournament, Wins $50,000 Car

... lemme get this straight ... this over-paid moron can't hit a net that's 6 feet by 4 feet from 30-40 feet out, but he can sink a hole-in-one in a tin cup 4.25 inches across from several hundred yards out?

Wow ... if I was the Habs, I'd be doing the reverse Happy Gilmour and getting him some hockey sticks shaped like golf clubs. Could probably patent the design from the Leafs model ...

July 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

"the GMs need to be protected from themselves, not from player agent demands."

It's the Owner of the team not the GM who approves a contract like that. It's Philly offering that contract not Florida, Philly has the money just like Toronto Vancouver NY etc. This Weber contract shows once again it's large super profitable teams against the Nashville's Florida's etc.
not the players.

July 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Daugavisn gets 1 year 1 way contract 635k. He'll be one hungry dog this year to prove himself.

So the Sens kind of look like this at the moment:

Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Alfredsson - Turris - Latendresse
Condra - Regin - Neil
Greening - Smith - O'Brien
(Butler, Daugavins) Assuming, Winchester does not get re-signed.

Latendress and Regin are quality players with potential health/fitness issues.

Karlsson - Methot
Gonchar - Cowen
Lundin - Phillips

Hopefully Borowiecki and Gryba can step up and provide the depth the Sens need on D.

BInghamton
Da Costa is still without a contract (RFA), but will likely still be in Bingo with:

FWs Stone, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Pageau, Cowick, Noessen, Puempel, Schneider, Hamilton, Prince, Petersson
Ds Claesson, Wiercioch, Wideman, Benoit, Blood
Gs Lehner, Lawson

July 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

So Columbus effs up their trade by trading for guys who scored 34 and 36 pts. in 77 and 79 games last season. I mean they went this long and they get a Dman and 1st round pick that will be in the late 20's and those 2 centers and that's it???? Not one guy who has the potential to be anything close to what Nash is right now. Columbus is Columbus because of this type of crap.

Thx for that breakdown Dawg above.

July 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I agree, TJ. NYR won that trade by getting rid of 2 deadweights like Dubinsky and Anisimov and acquiring a top line wing

July 23, 2012 at 4:53 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I hate that ass dude. friggin' diver. and a little bit of a squirrely russian. I'm sure he'll have a great attitude on that pit of a team.

July 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Wait... didn't Nash sign with the Lakers?

July 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

Columbus got screwed. But when you let the player take control and dictate the terms, you have to know it is not going to end well.

Not sure why the Sens gave Daugavins a one way deal.

July 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Right Canuck Nash with the Lakers and the Rangers and Dwight Howard to the Lakers and Bynum to the Cavaliers or is the RedWings?

No no can't be the RedWings since no one wants their pile of cash anymore. That's too bad, yeah right.

So the Sens wanted to send Foligno, ZBad, Lehner and either another Forward or a First Round pick that would be much higher than NYR's is going to be. Which trade seems to be superior? I don't know but Columbus will still suck. I realize SteveNash wanted no part of Ottawa

Russell u talking about Asinoomov or however u spell that weasel's name? the same one who hit Alfie?

July 23, 2012 at 8:28 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

the same. shredder started calling him ass dude last season. it stuck.

July 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

it sucks for the Sens cause the NYR are a prime competitor and they will truly only miss Dubinsky. it's really just straight up and CBJ waited this long to do that.

July 23, 2012 at 11:32 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Uh oh.....Dubinsky is as upset about going to CBJ as he was about being tossed from game 2 of the playoffs:

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyProbs/status/227519993410105344/photo/1

I'm still laughing about Erixon though -- he's the guy who refused to sign an entry level with Calgary because he wanted to play in NYC (where his father Jan used to play). So much for that plan, sucka!

July 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Wolski hit Alfie in the season. He's now in Florida. Hagelin hit Alfie in the playoffs. Anisimov was the shot gun goal celebration guy.

Dawg (who has a podcast)'s breakdown shows the amount of skill and the restock in bingo for next year, but besides Z-bad, I don't see much opportunity for break out players.

If Doan is willing to look at Montreal, why not consider Ottawa? He would definitely help with the leadership if Alfie retires, or can help out on the first or second line if Alfie comes back. Latendresse would fall in perfectly in the 3rd line.

July 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

i'd suspect doan wants to win now, not be part of an ongoing re-build. he'll likely sign with a big name team, maybe even the rangers. they have thew cap space for him...somehow.

July 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Signing a player like Doan would not fit into the Sens re-build. The young guys took the team pretty far last year and can build on that.

Pan, thanks for the reminder about the name. About Zibanejad - how do you think he multiple concussions he's had will affect him. Didn't Da Costa also suffer one when he got rocked by one of the Leafs? Are these guys now damaged goods?

July 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I'm hoping that Z-bad will be ok. I didn't watch any, but he was apparently scoring in the rookie camp, although he was soft. DaCo doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore. I was surprised that he wasn't called up during the year, but his plus/minus was atrocious.

With one more piece like Doan, are we not a contender? I don't see much difference with the skill to any mid round team. I like the d and someone like Doan would give 2 quality top lines, a strong 3rd and a big 4th. Plus, bingo will look good with all the prospects there, or do you give up some of these pieces for someone like Bobby Ryan, which I would prefer

I'll also keep my Semin in my pants and don't want to see him on the ice

July 25, 2012 at 12:57 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

you looking to get edited again, math boy?

July 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Math is a wonderful thing...

July 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM | Registered CommenterCanuck

Just heard Aaron Portzline the beat reporter for the ColumbusDispatch said beside NY that Ottawa was the one team that Columbus was serious about moving Nash to. You gotta believe that Ottawa offered more than the flotsam and jetsam they got.
But oh no the bastard didn't want Ottawa.

July 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

LOL at the semin shot

July 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln