Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The "Off-Season"

"eeennnh, it creates depth and competition. if he can stay healthy and play, great. if not, big deal, they aren't a cap team. he could push turris and others so that's a good thing. if there is no room for him, that's a tradable contract.so, no risk here. good signing."

Exactly. I like it. There's still upside to him. At WORST he's a tradeable asset, if he doesn't find a spot on the roster. He's got all summer to hit the weights and strengthen that shoulder. Good thing is, his second shoulder injury was not the same as the first.

May 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Good thing is, his second shoulder injury was not the same as the first.

Bad thing: he might have two bad shoulders now.

May 7, 2012 at 2:52 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Rick Dudley, currently a member of Toronto's management team, is expected to become the next assistant GM of the Habs, but Brian Burke would prefer Dudley only join Canadiens after the Draft.

So Burke doesn't want another team to steal the Leafs superior drafting strategies. Now that's funny.

May 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

So Burke doesn't want another team to steal the Leafs superior drafting strategies. Now that's funny.

It is, given TML's "stellar" drafting work of late, to say nothing of Burkie's presser where he stated he doesn't believe in the draft. What now, he's changed his mind? Does that mean he wants to end up in 8th place now too?

May 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

"Bad thing: he might have two bad shoulders now."

Nope - same shoulder, different injury. So, only 1 real bad shoulder. I like Ken Warren's latest column - Regin could give the Sens some nice depth at 3rd line centre, or even move to the wing if Smith continues to centre the 3rd line. Regin could also be a nice backup for Turris should he get injured.

Not a bad problem for the Sens to have two potential 2nd line centres. Maybe Spezz gets injured and Turris moves to C1 and Regin steps into C2 role.

Then you also have Zibanejad, Da Costa, etc. who will challenge for spot.

May 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Hey Burkie, I thought you said the draft didn't matter since it's not where you can start a rebuild???

*foncused*

May 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

If I were a TO AGM, I'd happily stay till after the draft. Everyone elses strategy is bound to be better.
On the other hand you've sucked up so much suckage, you wouldn't even realise! If the suckage should spread, then please to a division rival!!

Leafs & Habs SUCK!!

May 8, 2012 at 2:45 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

A pretty cool interview wtih Paul McLean today - hear the podcast of it here http://devel.autopod.ca/chum/38/podcasts/
(should be up in the next 30min)

May 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Ok, what is up with all the "Bring Chris Kelly Back" talk?! (sorry Russell)

The purpose of trading him away was to make roster and cap space for the young guns. Bringing him back is taking 2 steps back. Besides, he already won his cup.

May 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Yes I know that Don Brennan is an idiot but if the Sens could pick up a 6'4" 240 lbs. Dustin Penner for less than $2 million, it might be worth the gamble. Shown that he can score and certainly would add a big body in front of the net.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/05/07/penner-could-be-attractive-to-sens

May 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i don't care how much talent they have, i refuse to believe the flyers can win the cup with bryzgalov. he sucks.

... Russell called it. New Jersey on top in 5 games ... Bryz shot the second goal into his own net off an opposing player ... doh!!!

May 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

WOW! And how many years is this guys signed for? Fot how much $$$? Enjoy Philly!!! And they talk about Ottawa being a goalie graveyard... not so much.

May 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Senators' prospect Filatov likely gone for good. He has agreed to a in the KHL for next season.

Although not mentioned in the article, Filatov was a big fan of Sens Underground and unconfirmed reports were that he would only return if they were to continue their show.

On the flip side, a Sens Underground insider got the following quote from Sens Underground Public Relations Representative, Mac Bitch, "When Sens Underground heard that Filatov would only return if Sens Underground would continue the show it was an easy decision (to cancel the show). We're not taking any chances, we're taking one for the good of the team."

May 14, 2012 at 12:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

... spoiled brat little Russian bastard - good riddance. Good on Maclean to weed him out early, an attitude like that would be detrimental to any team. I am very pleased to see him take off the Senators jersey ... go learn from Floatalev, ya little prick ...

May 14, 2012 at 12:47 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

He was given fair chance and wasted it.

May 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

... and in other Russian player related news, Slappy the Squirrel ... err, Semin, Alexander Semin ... will not be re-signing with the Capitals next year. RFA, apparently ... and open to offers, says his agent.

... you just know that Burke is going to be all over this ... this could be the last piece the Leafs need to build their truculent squad into a winner. ;0)

May 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Does Murray have to make a qualifying offer to him, even though he's signed in the KHL, to retain his rights? I would do it, just to keep his rights, so that if he suddenly decides the grass isn't greener in the KHL anymore and wants to return to North America, he has to go through Ottawa so that we get something back for him or he has to go to Bingo to prove himself (and then we can trade him and get something for him).

May 15, 2012 at 11:09 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Clouston coached Mark Stone to his remarkable year, and has a year left on his contract, but won't be back behind the bench in Brandon next season: Clouston not returning

Brandon Wheat Kings’ general manager Kelly McCrimmon has announced that Cory Clouston will not be returning to the Western Hockey League club for the 2012-13 season.

A former coach of the National Hockey League’s Ottawa Senators, Clouston signed a two year contract with the Wheat Kings last August.

“I have given a great deal of thought to our coaching situation for the upcoming season," says McCrimmon. "I do not want uncertainty with this important position and as a result have decided we will not have Cory return next season. He will perhaps have opportunities to coach professionally, failing that, we will honor the second year of his contract.”

After leading the team to a sixth place finish in the WHL’s Eastern Conference this past season, Clouston’s Wheat Kings knocked off Calgary in the opening round of post season play before losing four straight games to the Edmonton Oil Kings in the Eastern Semi-Finals.

May 15, 2012 at 2:42 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

...Soooo, is he firing the T-1000? Why would he "honour" the second year of his deal if he doesn't want him behind the bench? I don't get it.

May 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I think he has to honour the contract but there might be a clause of "if being paid by someone else" then he doesn't. Clouston gets paid by BWK even if he's not behind the bench, I guess.

I don't like this news (via Twitter, from @SunGarrioch):

There have been no talks between the Senators and Matt Carkner. He will be a UFA on July 1. #Sens

Carks mentioned on the Healthy Scratches that, when he had last spoken to his agent, there had been no conversations with the Murrays to that point. I really hope this changes between now and July 1st - he's too useful, even as a 7th D / 4th line winger, to let go to the open market. The series with the Rangers showed his value both in game 2 and in games 4, 5 and 6.

May 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

According to a few tweets today, Kuba probably won't be back:

@HockeyScanner (Wayne Scanlan)

Don't expect Filip Kuba back next season. "I think we're moving on," says Sens GM Bryan Murray. He will try to sign a veteran D-man.

Kuba earned $3.7 million with the Sens, Murray thinks Kuba will get that in the market. "And I'm not going there." Good call. Kuba 36 in Dec

June 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

i can hear Shredder dancing from here.

June 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Senators ink 2010 4th round pick Jean-Gabriel Pageau to a 3 year entry level contract:

Senators hoping Pageau can make early impact

He's not big (5'9", 163), but he's crafty and skilled with the puck. Now, they have to get Shane Prince signed (2nd round, 2010).

June 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Now, they have to get Shane Prince signed

He might go to Russia if not... :(

June 7, 2012 at 3:58 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru

Nichols from the6thsens on replacing Kuba trough free agency:

the FA class is widely considered to be a weak one and with 29 other organizations potentially competing for any FA's services, it will be difficult for the Senators to acquire talent and get value for their money. (Albeit, with Kuba's absence confirmed, management's ability to play the "Hey, how would you like to play with Erik Karlsson?" card to entice a free agent to sign is an edge that no other teams have.)

June 7, 2012 at 4:51 AM | Registered Commenterdisappointed labru