Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The "Off-Season"

I pulling for Philly in the east. Would have been a good series with the Sens but the Sens are just not ready yet. The speed of play in round 2 always blows me away. The game keeps getting faster and faster.

April 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

... screw Bryz as a goalie ... I wanna see him as a commentator for HNIC. THAT would be frickkin' unbelievable ...

He'd make Bob Cole retire on the spot ... and, really ... who doesn't want that?

April 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Wow, you guys are F'en nuts.

1. You have no idea of Spezza's leadership capabilities as you are not in the dressing room.
2. If you trade him the you probably won't have to worry about anyone's playoff performance because they probably won't be there.
3. One dimension, come on... he has gotten much better over the last year and a half.
4. He is a point per-game player, basically even it the playoffs (51 points in 53 games): http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469455
5. You notice his mistakes because he has the puck so much, if he didn't have it he wouldn't seem so bad but then the other team would probably have the puck anyway.

You can make up all kinds of crap to run him out of town but the reality is he is an elite player no matter how you dice it. As for being caption abilities fans can not make those decisions, the room and management will decide as they know best.

April 30, 2012 at 9:09 AM | Registered CommenterSystine

Ok, so Systine is in on the first guest on the proposed new podcast to discuss Spezza. For the record, as much as I was yelling at him... we need him :)

April 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM | Registered CommenterLegatron

Hitchcock, MacLean and Tortorella named Jack Adams finalists

Torts? Really? I see it as a two way race between Hitchcock and MacLean, as both did amazing work with their teams this year.

April 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

1. You have no idea of Spezza's leadership capabilities as you are not in the dressing room.
- I, personally, don't care if he's the most popular guy "in her room" if he doesn't show any leadership on the ice. He doesn't stand up for his teammates on the ice (Alfied does); he doesn't lead in play by example (Alfie does). He's missing the fire and passion you see from Alfie.

2. If you trade him the you probably won't have to worry about anyone's playoff performance because they probably won't be there.
- There are playoff teams without elite regular season superstars.

3. One dimension, come on... he has gotten much better over the last year and a half.
- True... and therein lies the problem. He started the year playing north-south, and even on the PK. We all saw how he ended the year.

4. He is a point per-game player, basically even it the playoffs (51 points in 53 games).
- He's earned those mainly playing with Alfie and Heater back in the day. He didn't make others around him better. Spezza benefited from Alfie's play for many years. If you noticed in Game 7, Alfie and Michalek were on the PK and Alfie single handedly created 2 chances point blank for Milo off the PK! That's 2 more than Spezza created for Milo or anybody on the PP that game.

5. You notice his mistakes because he has the puck so much, if he didn't have it he wouldn't seem so bad but then the other team would probably have the puck anyway.
- True. He does have the puck a lot. It's what he does with it, his decision-making that's the problem.

You can make up all kinds of crap to run him out of town but the reality is he is an elite player no matter how you dice it.
- True - he is an elite player. Every Sens fan sees the potential in this guy to be leaps and bounds better if he listened to constructive criticism (i.e. shoot more, simplify your game, compete harder). Instead, he's shown he's as stubborn as a mule and keeps making the same plays over and over again.

April 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

What a difference a few hundred km of the 401 make: Leafs fans get an apology from one of their owners; Senators fans get a thank you from Eugene Melnyk

To the loyal members of the Sens Army,

On behalf of our players and the entire Senators organization, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your tremendous support this year. Our 20th anniversary season was filled with memorable moments and historic milestones including:

- Captain Daniel Alfredsson scoring his franchise-record 400th goal
- Alternate captain Chris Phillips playing his 1,000th NHL game all with the Senators
- Erik Karlsson establishing a new Senators record for points by a defenceman
- Hosting the 2012 NHL All-Star Game in Hockey Country and having Daniel Alfredsson, Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and Milan Michalek voted by our fans to the starting line-up
- The opening of the Rink of Dreams at Ottawa City Hall
- Installation of the Bell HD Screen, one of the largest in the NHL

Our season began with tempered expectations but under the direction of new head coach Paul MacLean and his staff, our team played an exciting brand of hockey and displayed a never-quit attitude. Their hard work all season resulted in your Senators returning to the Stanley Cup playoffs for the 13th time in the last 15 years the best of any Canadian NHL team.

Our team success also resulted in a number of Senators receiving league-wide recognition. Captain Daniel Alfredsson has been nominated for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, which is awarded to the player that best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey. Erik Karlsson is the first Senator ever nominated for the James Norris Memorial Trophy as the leagues top defenceman. In addition, the NHL announced today that our head coach Paul MacLean is a finalist for the Jack Adams Award to the NHL coach judged to have contributed the most to his team's success.

As proud as we are about how our team performed this season we are equally excited about our bright future. With our coaching staff, players and prospects, we believe we are on the right track to building a team that can and will compete for the Stanley Cup every year.
Throughout this season and the Stanley Cup playoffs our team was fuelled by your passion and energy. Never in our 20-year history have we been more proud of our team and our fans.

Thank you for believing and for being the greatest fans in the world.

Sincerely,

Eugene Melnyk
Owner, Governor & Chairman
Ottawa Senators Hockey Club and Scotiabank Place

April 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Oh Dawg you slay me.

April 30, 2012 at 3:33 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

Im surprised that i of all people started the Spezza talk. It is however the 190 lbs gorilla in the room. I was just hoping for more. I should have noted he led the Sens in goals and assists during the series and generally looked good in the context of Gaborik and Richards.

The Rangers were exactly the kind of team that he would have trouble against in the post season. When i saw him turn up the effort with a rapid succession of fancy plays and drop passes my heart sunk because i know thats his game.

Id still shop him around quitely but it would have to be a great deal for us. He'd be hard to replace. As i noted in my original comment you have to be careful what you wish for when youre considering a Spezza trade.

April 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I think Spezza would be hard to replace, especially if you attach the condition he has to be replaced by someone who will be able to score at more than the 0.71 points per game Spezza got in this year's playoffs (which is what a lot of the complaints seem to be). For all the criticism at Spezza, he got five points in seven games while Karlsson had.....one (one is the same as Condra, or half the output of Konopka). Yes, the Rangers were keying in on him, but they were also keying in on Spezza and 9MM, big time. Also, how many wingers did Spezza play with? Other than Michalek, he had starting lineup partners like Winchester, Stone, Silfverberg, none of which played more than two games with him and two of them made their NHL debuts in this playoff series.

April 30, 2012 at 5:03 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

the most important thing is....

chili chilis is going to re-open under new ownership and in a new location!!!!

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

April 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Spezza is on almost the same pace of points per playoff game as little DannyBriere of Philly 106 pts in 104 games (Spezza 51 in 53 games and that's when he barely played under J.Martin included)

He's not going anywhere and he wasn't the main problem in this playoff series---look at Gaborik he didn't do squat and the Rangers aren't moving him. (well no one would take him at the money he's owed)

As much as I didn't like the optics of him chasing Crosby in the playoffs 2 years ago--I'm glad he's on Ottawa.

April 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

i wouldn't want gaborik as our captain either.

April 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The way things are going, Ovechkin may be looking for a new team next year. I can't see him and Hunter on the same team again.

April 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

So, we are happy with Spezza as long as he gets his .7 pts/game? Got it.
I don't understand why everyone is so preoccupied with stats and figures.

He took big steps in the right direction at the beginning of the year by playing the right way, by shooting more, by attacking with speed.

He's supposed to be the leader of this team for years to come and I just don't see it with his brutal play when it counts the most. I'm just glad Stache is behind the bench and will sit Spezza out if he's not playing the right way. Watching the Caps-Rangers tonight, Hunter has Ovechkin cemented to the bench. As much as I dislike that diving #$% Callahan, that guy plays the right way every shift, despite only having 10% of the skill Spezza has.

I just want Spezza to give a crap out there. I think if he played with more passion and heart in the playoffs it would have had a trickle down effect on the rest of the lineup.

April 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Why was Spezza left off the Team Canada roster? 4th highest NHL scorer this year, almost point per game in the playoffs and they picked all of these guys? Hmmm... Team Canada went with the following centres:

Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Ryan O'Reilly
Jeff Skinner
John Tavares

April 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

If the Paulrus sits Spezza too much he will be ordered to play him more. Too expensive to be on the bench much. Besides, sItting him very briefly in Game 6 was like whipping a horse. You can only do it late in the race. Otherwise it stops working qui ckly.

It's a shame about the Team Canada thing. I'd have to assume that by getting to the first round and then going the full 7 games sealed the deal on him being excluded from that roster.

May 1, 2012 at 12:47 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Team Canada is a joke... I guess I'll be cheering for our 3 Team Sweden this year...

May 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Ovi played his lowest TOI last game and I think he scored the game-winner. Mature comments in the post-game interview, too. Team guy.

Karlsson was arguably the MVP this year, and Stache said from the get go you can play 30min, but it has to be for the Sens. I don't see why this rule shouldn't apply to all, including Spezza.

May 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

just listened to the year end 2 hour wrap up podcast from the Team in Ottawa and like Doug MacLean said near the end of the show he looked for 7 years to find a No.1 Center and never did--so the talk of moving Spezza is silly. Besides Murray isn't moving him so it's a non-starter "moving forward".

Again it's not near as entertaining but The Team in Ottawa offers a bunch of Senator podcasts.

May 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Thinking back to the season and the Sens mini-playoffs run, the team had more trouble on defense than offense.
What do you think about letting Kuba go and going after a guy like Shane O'Brien? He's got some puck moving ability but he's mostly a stay at home bruiser. Pair him up with Karlsson and that guy will protect the little Apostle while he wheels and deals.

Colorado had signed him for 1 year at 1.1M last year. 28yrs old, 6'3, 220. On the other hand, there's always Joe Corvo........
Just kidding, meant Ryan Suter :))

Other notable UFAs:
Fwd
Zach Parise
Alex Semin
P.A. Parenteau
Brandon Prust
Chris Kelly
Dan Paille
Paul Gaustad
Alex Ponikarovsky
Marco Sturm
Dustin Penner
Jarret Stoll
Travis Moen

D
Jason Garrison
Johnny Oduya
Sheldon Souray
Brad Stuart
Kurtis Foster (Carp native, local boy!)
Matt Carle
Barrett Jackman
Kent Huskins
Denis Wideman

May 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Here's one I didn't see coming: Senators re-sign forward Peter Regin to a one-year contract

The Ottawa Senators announced today the club has re-signed forward Peter Regin to a one-year, one-way contract.

Regin, 26, was limited to 10 regular season games in 2011-12 after injuring his left shoulder in a Dec. 20 home game against the Buffalo Sabres. He recorded four points (two goals, two assists) and two penalty minutes in those games.

Sign and trade? I don't understand this move at all, given that Turris has a lock on the 2nd line centre role and Regin isn't a 3rd/4th line type.

May 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

He was an RFA not an UFA. So you might as well sign him and see what you can get for him. There are no $$$ mentioned but it probably wasn't much. A one-way deals just means they have to pay him his full salary if they send him down, and it not like they will be at the cap anyway so who cares?

May 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM | Registered CommenterSystine

The Senators are going to need D and guys like Regin, DaCosta etc. can be add ins on trades and I bet that is what happens moving forward.

We sure as hell don't want the Senators to be the Avs after their run a couple of years ago or what happened to TB this past year so the more guys they have that can play and be moved to fill holes the better. Complacency is what set in on some of those teams who over achieved and we don't want the same thing to happen to Ottawa.

May 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

$800,000 for Regin. $200,000 less than last year.

eeennnh, it creates depth and competition. if he can stay healthy and play, great. if not, big deal, they aren't a cap team. he could push turris and others so that's a good thing. if there is no room for him, that's a tradable contract.so, no risk here. good signing.

May 4, 2012 at 5:14 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell