Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The "Off-Season"

I guess that's what this is called ...

Funny, I walked in to the office, and one of my co-workers brought me a box of tissues. As I sit here, proud of what the Sens have done, and looking forward to the future with this line-up, they're talking about how pissed they are that the Sens lost...

Maybe I should give the tissues back?

April 27, 2012 at 9:09 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Should be an interesting off season. There are just soooooo many great prospects in the system. The next few years should be pretty exciting. The great season we had this season, will come with serious expectations next year though.

April 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

I agree... the future for us Sens fans is looking great.

But also bleak (No more SU)...

April 27, 2012 at 12:08 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Bryan Murray has got to come to the realization that this team cannot be lead by #19.
We all saw (still) who the real leader is, #11, but we all know his days are numbered.

If BM can swing some trade at the draft that would be awesome. I know #1 centres don't grow on trees but it's about the future and leadership of this team. And when I think of leadership Spezza's face does not enter the picture. When the coach has to yell in your ear game after game, all the way into the playoffs.... he just doesn't get it.

It's sad that 39 year old Alfie STILL has to show everyone how to bust their buts on the ice, especially on the PK.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Spezza start the year on the PK?!? What happened to that? And why was Alfie always on it? Very simple answer I think.

Bottom line for offseason: unload the trash, bring in the young guns on defense (Boro and Wiercioch).

Don't wanna come off as sounding negative. I am proud of this team, the fans, everything. But in Game 7 you see what this team really has and what it doesn't have. If Alfie retires next season who will step up and play the right way? Who will give it 100% right until the end?

April 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Let the crazy rumors begin...

Spezza and Gilroy for Nash.

April 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Well, we're OK in nets that's for sure. At forward we should be good especially if Alfie comes back. There are 2 or 3 promising young guys that should make the team next year. My only concern is on defense. Gonchar, Philips, Karlssohn and Cowen are locks for next year. Kuba may or may not be back. Cark is a valuable 6th or 7th guy. Gilroy gone. I expect 1 or 2 of the Bingo guys will get a look But I hope the Sens draft a big mobile defenseman. Both Gonchar and Philips are nearing the end of there careers and they will need to have someone ready to step in when that time comes. But things do look good for the future.

April 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i doubt kuba will be back. I guess we're stuck with Gonch for one more season. i'd like to see carks brought back again. he plays a valuable role when needed. Borocop should make the line up next year.

i'm thinking they will have to pick up a ufa d man this summer. not anyone too old but someone solid and reliable. poor defence was a big problem this year. they'll need to cut down on the mistakes next season.

April 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Borocop and Wiercioch are a must next year. Weir is a good puck mover. Boro is like a mobile, shot-blocking, hitting meat and potatoes d-man.

They also got Eric Gryba (6'3, 220) right shot D. Even Craig Schira could challenge for a spot.
I mean, you look at what's in the cupboard and there's no need for Phillips, Kuba, or Gonchar.
Phillips was BRUTAL in the final game. I have no idea why Gilroy was allowed to put on the jersey again. Should have been Boro's debut.

Heard Tim Murray talk about Dave Dziurzynski as a potential bottom 6 winger next year. Another big, gritty player
The bigger challenge will be replacing Alfie with another 1-2 top 6 forwards.

April 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

you don't replace alfie. there will never be another like him.

weircoch has apparently dropped on the depth chart. didn't impress anyone last year, plus was hurt.

April 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The lady who reports on the Baby Sens said in a twitter post that BoroCop is the most ready and that Gryba had passed Weircoch in her opinion in being ready to make the jump next season. They are going to need to draft a Dman in First round like Senior said and you gotta believe they'll only bring up 1 rookie for next season on D and that's if Boro can make the team in training camp. They are bringing in probably 1 or 2 rookies on the forward lines already. Silfverberg and ZBad or even Stone, there's 3 candidates right there.

is the season and the SU really over???

April 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Interesting breakdown of the lineup for 2012-13

He seems to think Winchester, Konopka, Regin, Da Costa, Klinkhammer, Butler are all done with Ottawa.

Training camp will be a bloodbath for spots.

April 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I hope they give Winchester another chance. I think he could be one of those valuable players that can play on any line, kill penalties and score the odd goal. He just needs to stay healthy.

April 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

This team is riddled with concussions! Alfie, Winch, Zibanejad, Da Costa, Michalek, some of the Bingo guys

April 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Murray has to shop Spezza without this becoming a news story. I'd be open-minded to a deal. It is important to note that without his points we could take a real step back, especially in a post-Alfie world. We must watch what we wish for. Still, I think he needs to be shopped around.

Chester can't stay healthy. He's gotta go. Unfortunate.

I don't want to see Foligno back. He takes too many bad penalties.

Guys like Zack Smith, Eric Condra, and Colin Greening are really under the microscople. Of the three I prefer Greening's size and speed. I think they all have one year left on their one way contracts though.

April 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

shopped around???? for what? He's a no. 1 Center and they are hard to find. The Leafs and Flames have been looking for a guy like Spezza for years.

April 29, 2012 at 12:32 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

It's clearly a sensitive topic. I'm not a Spezza hater at all, and I don't think there's a deal that would even work. It's just that those crazy all-star game moves aren't what we need to go deep in the post season. A lot of stars were shut down in the first round. I'm just saying Murray should have a look out there.

I suppose the problem with Jason is expectations. He's not going to be Alfie or Yzerman. He's a point-a-game guy in the regular season who has a history of being shut down in the post season.

April 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Doug McLean said some interesting things about Spezza on the radio today...
1) McLean pumped his tires by saying he's been looking for a #1 centre in Columbus for years (someone to play with Nash).
2) In the playoffs, Spezza struggles cause he cannot adapt to playoffs speed of play (it's not that he doesn't care or try, just doesn't have another gear that's why he gets shut down)

I usually don't agree with D. McLean, but those are valid points. I agree with Jonesy. He has to be shopped if he shows no improvement under McLean.

Do you see #19 as the next captain? A lot of fans have Spezza jerseys, but have you ever heard a Spezza chant? Has he ever done anything on the ice that has made you get up off your seat and say "F*ck yea! That's our captain baby" like Alfie has so many times? (i.e. when Alfie stands up for teammates, like numerous times this year for Karlsson)

April 29, 2012 at 2:39 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I think we need to temper expectations of Spezza during the post-season. He doesn't function well when his time and space is taken away, as it usually is when facing a defensive first team like the Rangers. I thought he looked good out there with Stone who managed to thread the needle through to Spezza for the goal ...

Spezza is one of our regular season offensive weapons and a major point gainer throughout the year ... so of course the opposing team is going to focus on him more and thus hem him in. Ottawa can help defuse this by developing other players and prospects into dangerous scorers so that your attack is multi-pronged - the opposing defense then doesn't know WHO to cover. The post-season is about your second and third line players scoring when your stars are being held off the scoreboard ... expecting Spezza to light the lamp under that kind of defensive smothering is ridiculous ...

... but ... he needs to simplify his game. So many times Jason has done the extra pretty drop-pass or dangle in the offensive zone that gets picked off ... too complex and easy to read/pick apart. This is what Maclean and his staff need to continue to help Jason focus on ... his game has taken major strides the past year, but it's not all there yet.

My opinion: don't trade Spezza. He is high-risk, high reward ... always has been. His game is still developing, and he should get another few years under Maclean to try and refine it ... accept the bumps and bruises along the way.

April 29, 2012 at 3:35 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

There was one point late in the series where he tried to turn up the effort and started increasing the speed and amount of his risky no look passes. I was so clear that he ws trying harder but it just wasn't what we needed. I can live with him staying.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

i don't think the speed of the play-offs is Jason's problem. its that's he's a one dimensional player. he's a point producing machine, when he has time and space, but he'll never have that in the play-offs. he'll always be the opposition's #1 target. in the the play-offs, its all about determination and fighting through the checking. Jason has to develop a simplified game that involves running people over instead of dancing around him.however, i have my doubts as to if he ever will. he's just not wired that way. he's not a playoff warrior and the ultimate question is, do you want a guy like that to be your captain?

April 29, 2012 at 10:44 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Interesting info from Peter Regin
- positive he can return to being the player he once was
- "It was a different injury this time. It wasn’t the same,” said Regin
- “I guess I was just unlucky that it was the same body part on the same side, so it looked bad that way. I’m confident, the doctors are confident, so it shouldn’t be a problem.”

That's great news. Having him and Turris for next year gives the Sens incredible depth skill wise. The team can let 3rd and 4th lines be exactly that (i.e. Greening, Condra, Foligno) and create more favorable matchups up and down the lineup.

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Winchester: (UFA) like to keep him, but only on 1 year contract to see if he can stay healthy (re-evaluate after the season)
Konopka: (UFA) like to keep him as a 4th line centre and faceoff guy IF, and only IF, he can play like he did in the playoffs and stop taking dumb penalties and useless fights
Kuba: (UFA) not sure if he's needed or not; BoroCop will replace Gilroy but depending on market for good puck movers I can see another 2 years with Kuba to keep the chemistry with EK65.
Carkner: (UFA) keep him as a 7th D-man / 4th line winger; he's good in the room, he's a good deterrent when needed, not a defensive liability
Regin: (RFA) too many injuries over the past few years; good luck getting contract elsewhere (would consider signing to Bingo as asset to trade if he could be healthy through a season there)
Foligno: (RFA) I think this experiment has run it's course; he's not a 2nd line winger and isn't as good defensively as he used to be (trying too hard to produce points? Dunno). Sign and trade or look for picks back for an offer sheet.
Klinkhammer: (UFA) Simple play guy; I'd sign him for 3rd/4th line.
O'Brien: (RFA) He's finally looking like he's able to play in the NHL and living up to the expected abilities of a 29th overall pick. Re-sign.
DaCosta: (RFA) Re-sign but put him in Bingo again to see how he develops; could be trade bait for team needing a centre.

Karlsson: (RFA) Break open the vault; he's shown he deserves it. I'd try to keep it to only 3 years if possible, to make sure this season isn't an anomaly.
Spezza: need to learn new dimension of his game, but we keep him as he's a No.1 centre and they don't grow on trees. Turris isn't ready for this role yet.

April 29, 2012 at 11:51 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Zenon Konopka (extra forward to keep around and insert in certain games?)
- back problems were so bad he couldn’t finish the warmup before Game 6
- “Couple of mornings I couldn’t get out of bed,” he said. “The trainers were working on me around the clock.
- reiterated that he’d “love” to be back

Matt Carkner (7th D man, if the knee heals up this summer?)
- didn’t have as much luck convincing the team he could play Game 7 through a knee injury.
- “I was kind of in a position to do some drastic things to play in Game 7 or to save myself for the next series,” he said.
- "They wanted me to be there for the second round.” (yeah, well guess what....?)

Filip Kuba (sounds like he's not all in for a "hometown" discount and a chance to play with EK65)
- “I have to sit down with my agent and think about what the options are,” he said.
- "I’d like to be here next year.”
- Contract demands may be way more than the Senators will want to meet.

...and now coming back full circle to Mr. Spezza...

Jason Spezza
- well aware of the criticisms for the team’s failure that are being directed his way
- “I feel I can look at myself in the mirror and know I gave it my all. I feel like I leave it out on the ice..." (REALLY?! Hmmm, then why do I have etched in my brain your beer-league, cherry-picker type back checks in GAMES 1-7 where you screw your teammates with a BS play and then don't bust your ass to get back on D?!?!?! Ignorant, delusional.... Does he even go back and watch his game on video?)

- I feel there’s areas I can grow as a player, but it takes time. I’m trying to get better every day, and because I’m always pushing myself to get better you can block out the criticism that comes at the end of the year. There’s only one team that doesn’t get criticized, and that’s the team that wins.” (Lip service. I'll believe it when I see you don't hop over the boards to change while the rest of the team is backchecking. To be fair, he did have a lot less BS plays this year and stepped up more as a leader.... But you'll know you are a true leader when the crowd is chanting your name like they do with Alfie, Neil, Andy, Phillips)

- Spezza offered to play for Team Canada at the world championship, but was told the squad is already set. (Lol! Yeah, we want you but we really don't.)

To end on a positive note:
Kaspars Daugavins (my inspiration for my forum name)
- heading home to Latvia and then just going to show up at the tournament Wednesday.
- “Nobody has called me yet, but I’m just going to arrive. That’s how it works in Latvia. It’s not like we have any players. Everybody wants to come pretty much comes. We have like 25 players playing around the world, so it’s like if everybody comes, they come. If nobody shows up, it’s like, ‘oh, he doesn’t want to play.’ Normally they’ll send out a letter to the team, that officially I’m invited. But I’m just going to show up.” (LOL! Interesting how things work in other countries, eh? Just show up and bring your game)

- “At the start of the year I signed a contract and I didn’t have much belief in myself anymore, that I’m going to make it. Said I’d fight for a job, give it a last chance. It worked out, I got an opportunity and I thought I played well. Obviously it hurts not playing the last playoff games. It sucks to be in the stands and watching guys do it (and) you can’t help. It definitely doesn’t help me getting a contract, either. But I’m going to see what they offer me. I really want to come back and play here. I don’t want to go to Europe. I like it here.”

April 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

when u watch Bryzgoalalotov it would have been a fun goal scoring series for the Sens and it pisses me off that the Sens aren't there. Of course Philly would be scoring too.........

April 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

i don't care how much talent they have, i refuse to believe the flyers can win the cup with bryzgalov. he sucks.

April 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell