Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Game 6: Ranger Elimination Day

Mac (Lean) on Alfie losing his temper: “Frustration’s a useless emotion to me. We didn’t talk about it directly. But we will.”

hmmmm... not sure what I make of that.

April 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

SensChirp ‏ @SensChirp

Have it on good authority Director of Officiating met with refs after the game and was absolutely furious with the way the game was called.

for all the good it does us now. they are the ones that out peel in there to start with.

April 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

yeah LA vs. St.Louis and Nashville vs. Phoenix just as everybody predicted before the season started.

April 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

so, alfie was pissed because he was benched for the 1st part of the 3rd along with spezza and 9mm.

this is an interesting twist. first sign of disharmony all year. will have to see how this plays out.

April 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

one last bit of whining:

1st period tonight, karlsson is hit after the whistle. there is no call, which leads to neil going after Richardson.

in game 4 , konopka is called for roughing after a slight bump on a guy....after the whistle.

you wonder why the players are so frustrated with the refs?

April 24, 2012 at 12:43 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I've always believed that Alfie was super intense and showed that he could blow his cool once every few years. I've always liked that about him. "Hey, boys. I'm almost 40 and I'm playing with my second concussion of the season...Get your effin' arses in gear before I destroy your effin water bottles with my skates." "Oh yeah, and moustache guy, I've been here since I was like 22 and as much as I like your style, forgive me for not being calm while I watch my chances to win the Cup as a Sen go down the tubes."

PS: Foligno, you've taken dumb penalties all year. Everyone watching that game must know you did it deliberately. You owe us a win game 7...

The officiating in general is horror show.

Let's get everyone as serious as Alfie. Praise Alfie.

April 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Hey guys. I watched the first period. Then I watched the TSN highlight package. That's all I know of this game. (As you might imagine, these circumstances were out of my control.) Here are my 10 thoughts, for what they're worth:

1 - Gonchar took a shot on net on the power play. Congratulations. I spent the entire first period watching (talented) players not take shots on the Ranger net and (not-very-talented) players miss taking shots on the Ranger net. We can allllll learn something here.

2 - Jakob Silfverberg should not have been in the lineup. Bobby Butler should have. Sorry. I hate Bobby Butler with every ounce of my being. Yet, he is the Ottawa Senators' best option right now. You can play him more, and with more confidence, than Silfverberg or Stone. I don't care about Jakob's release or Mark's nice assist. We all saw them in their own end. They do not know where to be, or where to go. Putting them in the lineup is like spinning the roulette wheel. They can both get their reps in Round 2. Or next year. Butler, Daug, and Klinkhammer know how to play on this team, and in a Game 6, when you are leading the series, you do not gamble on a player who has no idea what is going on, and is both hungover and jet-lagged.

3 - #2 is easy to say in retrospect. Exceptionally easy, seeing as I'm drunk and know very little about hockey.

4 - Nick Foligno is not allowed to bowl over goaltenders. I wish that wasn't a penalty at that moment. I wish it was a penalty every other time it happens to every other team. The facts are these: a) that penalty is very often NOT called; b) it should ALWAYS be called; c) it was called this time. And it, along with MANY other terrible plays, cost Ottawa the game.

5 - Chris Neil got mad. The hit on him was similar to his hit on Boyle -- sliiightly late, on an unsuspecting player. Nothing else wrong with it. Both hits should be suspendable. Neither are. I do not understand what Chris was angry with. It seems like he was frustrated. And that bodes very, very, very, very poorly for the Ottawa Senators...

6 - ... because what IN GOD'S NAME happened to Daniel Alfredsson??? As I say -- all I saw were the highlights. And as far as I could tell, there was only one explanation for Alfie's outburst. I think he was re-injured. I hope I'm wrong. I hope he was suddenly, and for the first time that I remember from his entire NHL career, unbearably frustrated.

7 - Supposedly, Daniel Alfredsson was frustrated with his "playing time" in the 3rd period. What? Excuse me if I don't believe this at all. This is not what happened. It just didn't happen this way. We are missing some information. Because this is not what happened. I still hope he was not re-injured. I really, really hope this.

8 - The 2nd Ottawa goal was illegitimate, but the reasons it stood under video review were obvious. They also illustrate why video review should be extended -- in my opinion -- to make any and all judgement calls. The refs are regularly wrong; if they don't admit this, they should all be fired. They have to be regularly wrong. It's the nature of the job. Video, in a case like this, can very clearly show that the reason for the goal was goaltender interference. That's a goal that "should", in the mind of any reasonable human being watching the video review, be called back. But it can't be, under NHL rules, because it was not DEFINITIVELY kicked in. What a joke. Imagine losing the Cup on that call. A bullshit goal that EVERYONE knows is bullshit, but it can't be called back because of absurd rule definitions. F*** YOU, NHL. Just another JOKE amongst the many that define your BS league.

9 - The idea that Ottawa lost this game because of officiating is absurd. They didn't even deserve to win the 1st period.

10 - Game 7.

April 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM | Registered Commenterpitlick

"3 - #2 is easy to say in retrospect. Exceptionally easy, seeing as I'm drunk and know very little about hockey."

lmao. you should start a podcast!

April 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I've had to fast forward through lots of games due to crying babies and then go online to add to the forum.. One does miss a lot.

Honestly, I thought we had a great first period. We agree about Foligno big time. Alfie is mad due to idiot children doing stupid things, ie,. Foligno. Neil was madder in the highlights.. If you saw the game it was only part of the game.

We agree about the tryouts/must win games thing. What the fcck???? Serously. It's embarassing. Put Daugavins on the ice and stop embarassing me. Cherry is highlighting it and anyone with hockey sense is riffing on it!

April 24, 2012 at 2:03 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Even though we couldn't close out the series at home, I have a good feeling about Game 7.

The guys came out strong and then stunk the place up. And the refs certainly threw a few monkey wrenches in too. And even so, we only lost by one goal. We will be better in Game 7 because we couldn't possibly be worse. And that will be enough to win the series.

I am really pissed off at Foligno, however. Surely he must realize by now that he isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt. Ever. It's like I told a girlfriend one time - "if you're going to get mad at me every time I do a stupid thing, I'll just have to stop doing stupid things!" Shut her right up.

April 24, 2012 at 3:12 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

9 - The idea that Ottawa lost this game because of officiating is absurd. They didn't even deserve to win the 1st period.

No, they didn't lose only because of officiating... They lost because they did stupid sh!t, and the officiating ensured the Ragdolls would capitalize on it.

April 24, 2012 at 9:41 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Maybe Alfie was mad because Bob Cole got his name wrong...

April 24, 2012 at 9:42 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

8-That's a goal that "should", in the mind of any reasonable human being watching the video review, be called back. But it can't be, under NHL rules, because it was not DEFINITIVELY kicked in. What a joke. Imagine losing the Cup on that call. A bullshit goal that EVERYONE knows is bullshit, but it can't be called back because of absurd rule definitions. F*** YOU, NHL. Just another JOKE amongst the many that define your BS league.

I'm sure Chuckie and every other Slug fan has been bitching about that since the 1999 Finals

by the way loved that recap

April 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

by the way loved that recap

Huh? What? Loved?

Crap, the Mayans are right about the end of the world.

April 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

If the last goal by the Sens shouldn't have been called, then the last Rangers goal shouldn't have been called either... Stepan was offside.

April 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Reports indicate winger Chris Neil could also be fined for saying he might catch Michael Del Zotta with "his head down" in the future.</>

and one has to onder if Lundqvist will get a fine for his comments calling out the officials and the league.

"It's an absolute joke. Oh my god, it scares me. It's such an obvious play, goalie interference, and a kick. And they still call it a goal? That scares me, that someone can call that. It still upsets me."

"Someone wants them back in the game obviously. There's no other explanation."

Obviously spoken in frustration, but Bettman did say that speaking against the officiating and the league is unacceptable.

April 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Interesting quote from Senschirp:

Spoke with someone after the game who told me that the Director of Officiating met with the game officials after the game and was livid about some of the calls and asked for a separate room to review the game tapes. Although I'm sure part of that anger had to do with a questionable goal Ottawa scored in the final minute.

April 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Homer--I must of been drunk when I wrote that

April 24, 2012 at 11:21 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I think I gave myself a concussion by yelling "Refs you suck!" along with everyone else at SBP.

Bottom line is this: the Sens beat themselves.

Sure, the refs called a soft 5 on 3 PP BUT, on the 3rd goal Phillips was EXTREMELY lazy getting to Richards who had the puck. That was a microcosm of the game right there. Anyway, not gonna repeat what everyone else said already.

It was really awesome when Neil was feeding Prust.
You should have heard the crowd between periods when the refs were about to hit the ice, or during TV timeouts - pure insanity and noise

I gotta admit, I was excited to see Alfie and Silfverberg (who had his own chant, btw), but it may have been the wrong decision by the coach in hindsight. I doubt Stache will take out Silfverberg now, but he usually changes the lineup after a loss.

April 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg