Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the Playoffs (aka Brenda's Wheel of Misfortune)

saw the hit online and the Phoenix color guy TysonNash called it a good clean hit--Homer announcer are something

April 17, 2012 at 11:08 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

For his hit on Brayden Schenn, Arron Asham gets 4 games.

For two separate incidents that were reviewed by the NHL, James Neal gets one game. Remember that Neal is a repeat offender. He was suspended two games last season for a hit from behind on Derek Dorsett and was fined $2,500 this season for a high-stick to Montreal's P.K. Subban.

The words "Thoroughly Perplexing" comes to mind again. I really hope that the Penguins get swept.

April 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Washington's Backstrom has a hearing for his high stick on Peverley. Doubt he'll get 4 games for a similar high stick that Asham through.

Raffi Torres, a repeat offender himself, could get a heavy suspension for his hit on Hossa. If I were a gambling man, I'd walk away on any bets for what the suspension might be. A smarter bet would be for Columbus to win the cup next year.

I'd like to see the NHL's assessment of the official for each of the games in the 1st round. They certainly don't deserve a passing grade. If the games were properly reffed and games managed by the officials, then most of these suspensions probably don't happen.

I think that the NHL is just begging for another Bertuzzi incident to happen. There are a few loose canons playing in the league that would literary exact revenge and take someone out because the NHL failed to take care of the problem.

April 17, 2012 at 11:24 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Neal is a star, Asham is not. simple as that.

If Torres plays another game this year, Shanny and his bosses should be tea bagged by a sweaty Charles Barkley.

April 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

it may shock you but the next game of the pitts-philly game, through the use of a time portal, can already be found on youtube. here's a link to the final minute of play:

The NHL play-offs 2012

April 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

In Episode 23, the question was asked "How will Brian Burke get his name in the press during the playoffs?" Well, for inquiring minds that want to know, here is the answer. From the article in USA Today:

"I hope we continue to nail the people who are crossing the line," Burke said. "But this is a small number of incidents, and it's unfortunate that non-hockey media is focusing on that. But what I see is great hockey. It's awesome."

Yeah, the small number of suspensions so far this year (including the one that Torres is sure to get) is equal to the number handed out in all four rounds of last year's playoffs. What a.......nevermind, I'm not supposed to use that sort of language here.

April 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Another quote from the article.

"This is like people complaining about the rain at Woodstock," Burke said. "Yes, there was lots of mud, but it was the greatest music gathering in history."

Ahhh Woodstock, I remember that more clearly than the last time the Leafs were in the finals.

April 18, 2012 at 3:27 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Ummm Brian, Would you like to comment on these quote that you made while GM of the Canucks?

"I want to point out to the officials that Todd Bertuzzi does not play for Detroit. It just looks like that because he is wearing two or three red sweaters all the time. I didn't know that tackling was an acceptable tactic. I didn't see it in the rulebook." -- 4/24/02: Canucks GM Brian Burke who thinks the Canucks have been getting the shaft from the referees in the playoffs.

"Sedin is not Swedish for punch me and headlock me in a scrum." -- Brian Burke

Typical Burke, it's all good as long as it doesn't happen to his team. Well good news Brian, that there is little chance that the leafs will be involved in some nasty playoff hockey anytime soon.

April 18, 2012 at 3:41 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

@Homer: That's because Woodstock is more recent...

April 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

for your consideration:

In the NBA, Delante West gave a player a wet willie and was fined...$25,000!!!!!!!!!

slam a guy's face into the glass.....$2,500.

now, which league has a better grip on player conduct?

April 19, 2012 at 5:46 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Chicago coach fined 10K$ for calling out referees...

This league is pathetic. It's the only business I can think of where the customers (ie: the fans) are not allowed to provide feedback on the product and are basically told to STFU and deal with it.

April 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Weeeeee I love Twitter.

People are still bashing Carks... what a bunch of idiots... or NYR fans... I think I just repeated myself...

April 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Ron Mclean just asked if the Sens could give the Rangers a challenge, with the series at 2-2 and Sens carrying the play.

April 19, 2012 at 9:36 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

<SARCASM>
To be fair to McLean, I think he was only referring if any of the next 3 games go to overtime.
</SARCASM>

April 19, 2012 at 10:07 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

$10K fine for Quenneville. Maybe they can use it for lobotomies.

April 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

some really interesting thoughts by Melnyk

if all the owners were this pro-active, we wouldn't have the problems we do in the game.

April 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

25 games for Torres.

Don't get to excited that Brenda is finally doing something right.

How much do you want to bet if a guy like James Neal, a repeat offender himself, gets 2 games if the throws the same hit.

April 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

there's all sorts of reasons why one could be skeptical about this but for once...they got it right! I'm just going to be happy this one time and leave it alone.

April 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

bad news. o'dork is reffing the bruins -caps game. he's not out west anymore. he's getting closer......

April 22, 2012 at 3:55 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

no sooner do I post this then O'dork misses a blatant int call by bruins that lead directly to a goal.

April 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

O'Dork---I always thought that was his real name

April 22, 2012 at 5:40 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

So buried in the NYPost today was this tidbit:

"Senators’ first-line winger Milan Michalek may be facing a suspension for Game 7 as a result of kicking Dan Girardi twice in the midsection with his skate blade.

The play was part of the scrum in front of Lundqvist that resulted in the second goal, and Canadian television outlet CBC has numerous angles of the altercation."

Of course Dreger had to tweet it to let everyone know about it.

NBC has no real replays that show it. Seems like the NY sports media is attempting to give their boys a get out of jail free card.

April 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

I dunno... since Milan has been pretty much absent since game 1... wouldn't be kinda doing the Sens a favor if he didn't play?

Don't wanna sound mean or anything, because I loved Milan all season, but since the playoffs started, yeeeesh....

April 24, 2012 at 3:35 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

He's been good on the PK and even if he hasn't produced the Rangers still have to account for him. Without him in the lineup it creates even more focus from the Rangers shutdown guys on Spezza, Alfie, and Karlsson.

We do need him.

April 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Meh... no hearing so my point is moot. Wonder how that went...

Shanaban: Mr Michalek please. And don't put me on hold! I'm really pissed right now!
9MM: Milan speaking...
Shanaban: Shanaban here. Listen Milan...
9MM: ...
Shanaban: Milaaaaaaaaaan... *instant peace of mind*
9MM: Yes?
Shanaban: That was not cool man... Don't do that, ok?
9MM: Ok. Sorry...
Shanaban: It's cool man... Leafs suck!

April 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter