Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the Playoffs (aka Brenda's Wheel of Misfortune)

Josh Rimer‏@JoshRimerHockey
NHL To have 3 Hearings....NYR Carl Hagelin today for hit on Alfredsson, OTT Matt Carkner, and CHI Andrew Shaw for his hit on PHO Mike Smith

Even if Carks gets some games, that's ok. I believe he did his job and he was playing injured anyway. Congrats to Stache for using his role players to get momentum back.
My guess, Hagelin gets a game, Carks gets 2. Shaw - probably 1. To quote Bob Cole, "...BUT, who knooows... Everything is happening."

FYI, been reading some NYR fans' post-game reactions. They've lost all hope. Total 180 from pre-series trash talk. I love how Stache got even into their heads. Which makes me wonder - how many times was Detroit in a rough series like this and Babcock never threw any tough guys out there to make a statement? Stache must have been screaming on the inside :)

I can't wait till Monday - SBP will be a madhouse.

April 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

If anyone can tell me why carks should be suspended and boyle wasn't for what he did to EK65, I'll listen. the only difference was that karlsson didn't fall down (oh, and carks hits a lot harder than boyle). had the refs handled the 1st incident properly, there would never have been the carks one. but if the refs/league won't properly protect the stars, then what option does the team have but to protect itself?

April 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

My opinions:

1) Carks didn't stop, but neither did Boyle, and Carks was tossed from the game while Boyle got 2 minutes (and so did EK, the victim, while Boyle got nothing after being a punching back for Carks)
2) Carks to likely get 1 game, as some sort of "message sending" exercise by the league
2) Hagelin will get multiple games, as it was a blatant shot targeting the head
3) The refs from last night's game get the rest of the playoffs off for missing a puck sitting on the back of the NYR goal
4) If Carks does get suspended, then Neil/Konopka/Winchester will go after Gaborik but keep the gloves on while pummeling his face..

April 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Every Boyle fight should end up with a 5min F/M plus 2min for diving.

April 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Every non-Sens fan is all over Carkner for beating down Boyle. That's fine, but if Boyle had been gooing up one of their team's starts, they'd be singing a different tune.

Bottom line is, Boyle 'took one for the team' by not defending himself. That made Carks look like a dirty player. Boyle won his team a 5min PP, which his team failed to capitalize on. I bet that if Boyle stood up for himself and FOUGHT maybe the Rangers don't lose their heads and Ottawa doesn't get into their heads. I loved the looks on their faces at the end - they now know they're in for a long series.

Oh, and remember these words by someone named Tortorella, "It's a cheap, dirty hit. I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there. I wonder what would happen. So I'm anxious to see what happens with the League over this. Just no respect among players. None. It's sickening." hmmmm, so tell me John, how should we feel about Haglin blatantly elbowing Alfie in the head? F-n hypocrite.

FYI: Chris Neil is the first player since 1989 to score an overtime goal and have a fighting major in a playoff game.

April 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Omg!! Did anyone see B. Melrose's review of Game 2? He said the Sens don't hit or fight very much; they're a skilled team. This guy work on a hockey broadcast and he's about 5-6 years out of touch. Sens finished 9th in hits and 5th in fights, hardly a soft team. Berry needs to stay out of the sun a little more...

April 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Ian Mendes brought up a great point. we have mentioned in the past that no one has ever been suspended for a hit on Alfie, but can you remember the last time ANYONE was suspended for an infraction against a Sens player? I've been trying and I can't remember one.

anyone?

April 15, 2012 at 1:17 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

that's cause there isn't one Russell

Dawg u are so right about Melrose, he was on a station out here in SanFrancisco and was talking Sharks and I knew way more about the team than he did and I don't get paid. (my wife reminds about this all the time about watching something so much and not getting paid). So it's not surprising he knows nothing about Ottawa.

Lastly whatever the douche for NY gets it's not going to bring Alfie back this series more than likely, but can only hope he gets multiple games and Russell u are so right that if the damn officials would just do their jobs none of this extra crap would be needed by the players.

April 15, 2012 at 1:24 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

just saw a tweet Alfie is not even at the building today with the other players---that is not good news. I agree that if this does get out of hand for the Sens they need to target Gaborik or Richards and show the Rangers what it feels like to lose your franchise icon to a cheap shot by a rookie.

April 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

ArronAshom takes down Schenn this after a clean hit, Ashom took him down with a crosscheck under his chin and then punches him when he's down on the ice.
This is what the NHL gets when they took away Shanahan's power to suspend and clean up the game when he was doing it when the season began. We can thank the NHL GM's for all these cheap shots like Weber's, the one on Alfie yesterday and Ashom's today.

April 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Crosby is just as bad today after instigating a fight by pushing Voarcek's glove out of the way as he went to pick it up. Refusing to fight Giroux after getting locked up with Giroux (who rightly didn't throw any punches either), until the linesman wrapped up and wrestled down Giroux. Crosby then decides to defend himself after he has no fear of reprisals.

Gutless.

April 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

If this is what the NHL is selling as hockey, they can keep it. If the Sens are eliminated, I will find something else to watch.

April 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Shanny:" wow, i really thought they'd get the message after i lowered the boom on Weber"

April 15, 2012 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I can't think the last time there was this much wide spread mayhem in the playoffs. Most if it is a direct result of the ref and the NHL closing their eyes on on the cheap shots.

As much as the NHL and some media seems to think so, Crosby is no choir boy. He dishes out plenty of little cheap shots that the refs ignore. Well alll those little things add up. Knocking the glove away is nothing "major", but it was the spark of two fights and two players getting game misconducts. Sid should have gotten at least an extra two unsportsmanlike penalty since his punk move started it all.

April 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Speaking of NHL discipline, Razor Ramon was arrested in Florida for smacking his wife around.

April 15, 2012 at 4:36 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

AO, you read my thoughts on Crosby. Punk move with pushing the glove away from the player trying to pick it up, an them runs his mouth, grabs Giroux and wrestles him until a linesman comes to his aide, at which point he throws and lands an uppercut with the zebra in the middle protecting him.

Gutless chippy punk who will whine and cry if someone tries anything even remotely physical with him. He has amazing skills but no honour or respect, just ego.

Imagine what this game would be like if Pronger was playing.

April 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

"Imagine what this game would be like if Pronger was playing."

I think there would be less BS cause if Pronger steps into a scrum... there will be blood.

April 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Russell that crack about Shanny lowering the boom on Weber was hilarious--Good one!

April 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

but u gotta admit the goaltending in this Philly-Pens series has been brutal, neither team will make it to the Finals unless they can tighten up their goaltending

April 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Brent Johnson gets thrown into the fire and gets scored on the first shot.

How the hell did Pittsburgh finish with 108 points this season? After their winning streak ended and we beat them 8-4, they haven'tbeen good. They're not playing as a team and look very disorganized.

All the experts had Pittsburgh and Vancouver meeting in the finals and if things keep going the way they are, they'll be the 1st two team eliminated.

April 15, 2012 at 5:36 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Shanahan and the league's GM's are very proud I'm sure of this Pens v. Flyers game

but they really draw the line at hair pulling

April 15, 2012 at 6:03 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Crosby sparks another fight and game misconducts.

April 15, 2012 at 6:04 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Homer but Crosby is the best player and ambassador of the sport are u sure he really did anything

April 15, 2012 at 6:05 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I really hope the Pens get swept

April 15, 2012 at 6:07 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I really hope the Pens get swept

That would look sooooo good on the NHL darlings, but the NHL would probably fine the Flyers $1M for embarrassing Pittsburgh.

April 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM | Registered CommenterHomer