Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Peaky(?) Sens vs. Smash'Em, Bash'Em Rangers, Round 2

Neil does so many good things that don't show up in the stats but help the team. He's great!

April 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

and for only 2M per year for Neil

in the Coyote-Blackhawk game a shocker, a terrible blown call on Toews for Goalie interference and the Yotes score a goal on the PP, this NHL reffing is just plain awful

April 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Yeah, but at least the officiating seems to be equally crappy for all the teams. Where do they get these refs? From pro wrestling?

April 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Shaw got tossed in the Phoenix game for running Smith behind the net. Borderline really.

April 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

smith totally sold that. yes, a penalty. game misconduct, absolutely not.

April 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I just read a great comment on the TSN site:

"Carkner shouldn't be suspended. That's just hockey.
Eye for an eye. If you don't like it, go watch badminton."

April 14, 2012 at 11:30 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

And another that isn't so great:

"Senators have resorted to dirt. Hope they get swept. Disgraceful display."

Kind of hard to get swept when you have already won a game. Moron. Probably a retarded Leafs fan.

April 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

the douche who hit Alfie has a hearing tomorrow on what suspension will be, a lot of damn good it does Alfie and the Sens. #bitter

April 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Well...
-We found our grit. We had zero in the first game. I'm so proud that the guys stood up for each other. I wore a bright red "Senators" T-shirt around suburban Toronto today and got a lot of looks. I was not proud of last night. I was soo proud of tonight.
-Phillips did a lot of things right but got little attention.
-Carks did right. No more effin Gilroy ever!
-Neil battles and has the heart of lion.
-Turris was not a factor for much of tonight. Then he paid the price on a big play. I like this kid. Not sure what he will be but he's okay with me.
-Karlsson is not a defensive liability. It's a lie and increasingly Healy and Cole are becoming educated about him.
-Alfie was "hulking out" on that play and then got a cheap shot to the head. I'd say 1,000 games would be a fair suspension.
-Kuba...solid.
-King Henrik...good but overrated.
-Torts...underrated. Wow, he gets a lot out of those of guys. I hope we get more of them injured from blocking shots. They should be considering how often they go down.
-Anderson...he's doing a pretty good job. No complaints.
-Konopka...wow, he didn't fight in a goonfest game and played a great game. I've never seen him do that! It's great!

April 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Good point Jones, On konopka. Kudos to him for keeping it under control.

April 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Torts on the possibility of Hagelin being suspended:

"Well then Phillips should be suspended."

April 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Chris neil: the only ginger with a soul.

April 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

F Torts---Phillips didn't target anyone's head like Hagelin did, and our guy may really never play again. (Hope I'm very wrong about that)

April 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Coach Tortilla's gonna have a f'n heart attack before game 5 is over.

April 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Torts knows he's playing the game. To compare the two hits is absurd.

We really need Alfie healthy. We have 3 top 6 forwards and he's 33% of them. It's a big deal.

But tonight, I'm going to just bask in the glow of Carkner and Neil...I can have rage tomorrow.

April 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Agree with Jonesy - comparing the Phillips hit to the Hagelin one is apples to oranges. Phillips finished a check on the boards with his arms down - Callahan was hunched over. Callahan's head was at Phillips elbow height (not the other way around). Good call by the refs - it was an elbow hit to the head, albeit not a dirty play. Therefore, Phillips should NOT be suspended or fined. (How do you like my Shanahan impression so far? Oh, wait...) This was a hockey play.

The Hagelin hit was elbows to head. At this point, I could give a rat's ass how many games that douche gets. Damage done. Alfie injured. Knowing Alfie, and his magical healing powers, he'll be in for Game 3 for sure.

Lastly, report from the bar... Maclaren's on Elgin was the destination of choice and the place was packed! Standing room only, Sens fans only.
People went nuts when Carks exacted revenge
The roof blew off when Neil potted the winner. HUGE Sens chants. People were out on the street with their flags for about 2hrs after the game.
I didn't expect this insanity in round 1. It reminded me of the semi-finals vs. Buffalo 5 years ago (sorry Chuckie :P)

Forget the James St. Pub on Bank for the next get together. Has to be somewhere on Sens Mile - Elgin St.

Oh, and by the way, Earth paging Jason Spezza. Hello? Jason? Please join the rest of your teammates in this series. I'm tired of seeing your coach in your ear on the bench begging you to lead this team

Good on the grinders and Bingo boys - showed a lot of hear, soul and determination. Pesky till the end.

April 15, 2012 at 3:28 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

An excerpt from Kerry Fraser's article on selection of play-off refs:

Part of Terry Gregson's duties as Director of Officiating is to administer a numerical performance evaluation/rating system of his on-ice officiating staff for the purpose of playoff selection and to determine an official's ongoing employment status. This status would include termination through persistent substandard performance or succession planning relative to a mutually agreed upon schedule for an official's retirement.

... so ... these playoff referees are the best of the best from the NHL regular season? Oy-vey ....

April 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Honestly, last night's game was not reffed too badly. There was blown calls, but it pretty much evened out on both sides. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if the refs catch everything, but it's simply not possibly unless they stop the game every 2 min and review everything in slow motion.

I was shocked that Neil, Konopka and some of the other guys did not get penalties for some of the things they did and would get penalties for in the regular season.

Overall, I did not think the refs decided the game last night, which was a good thing.

April 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

@Dawg

What about the double puck incident?

April 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Dex, that was awesome, wasn't it? Honestly, I was expecting someone to throw a kitchen sink on the ice at some point!

In any case, I wished Winchester grabbed one of those pucks and scored a wrap around goal. Maybe the zebras mess up and count it :D
But all's well when it ends well :))

April 15, 2012 at 12:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

All in all I would say that last night was a total embarrassment for the NHL. I understand the the refs are probably instructed by the NHL to switch to playoff mode and just let a lot of stuff go. And when that happens, the players get frustrated and start taking things into their own hands. I think we saw the results of that type of thinking not only with the Carks payback fight but a lot of incidents around the league. When the refs threw Carks and Dumy out early in the game, I thought that they were sending a message that they were not going to let things out of hand. But after that the refs just seemed to give up and let all the wrong stuff go. And by the end of the game we had us a real live circus. I watched a couple of US sports shows this morning and of course they are laughing at the NHL. I would like to think the NHL is smart enough say recognize what is happening and do something about it but this is Gary Buttman and the NHL we are talking about.

April 15, 2012 at 12:41 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Dawg -- totally agree, the reffing was actually passable last night. They got the big calls right. They missed some small stuff and called a couple cheap ones. Just like any game.

Senior -- And nothing happens in Game 2 if Game 1 is reffed properly. Boyle gets 4 mins for punching Karlsson in the head like he SHOULD and none of this crap enters the game. You're absolutely right that this league has NO idea how to handle itself. They are a joke.

I hope Alfie is OK. But, frankly, I doubt it. At this point I think it's reasonable to think he's done at the end of the year, whether he comes back during the playoffs or not. I would retire if I were him, and I'd force him to retire if I were his family. I couldn't even enjoy the win last night thinking about that.

Obviously, I'm angry at Hagelin for the hit. But I get it -- it was a stupid play by a young guy who was amped up. I assume he'll be suspended a few games. If there was anything resembling a REAL headshot rule in this league, he'd get 10 to start with. (And Chris Phillips would get a game or two -- he definitely wasn't targeting, but primary point of contact was the head.)

And Brian Boyle. Wow. The definition of Gutless. You could make an argument that his turtling was a "smart" play. Well, it's only "smart" if it helps you win. And you LOST. That means you acted like a weeping pussy for NOTHING. Cherry said Boyle made his team smaller doing that. He also made his career smaller. Good luck getting that last contract when you're 31 and you've lost half a step, dickhead. If you won't even stand up and fight anyone your size (actually, Carkner is smaller than Boyle), you'll find that your AHL-level skillset won't be enough to keep you in the league.

April 15, 2012 at 2:23 PM | Registered Commenterpitlick

agree Pitlick losing Alfie is totally depressing even with the win.

the darlings of the NHL have forgot how to play defense and the Goalie has forgot how to stop pucks--losing 3-1 here in the first #Pens
even Crosby is fighting in this game

April 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln