Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Pesky PLAYOFF Sens vs. Team in Blue, Game 1

It's all ex-Senator Nite first Kelly with a game winner in OT---then Havlat with a game winner in OT for SanJose and then Vermette with a go ahead goal going into the 3rd period for Phoenix

April 12, 2012 at 11:44 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Positivity your right about Kypreos, he and the other Ex-Leafer Healy are very biased against anything Ottawa

April 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Strategies for game 2:

1) Carks in for Gilroy; get someone who can clear the front of our goal and doesn't cause odd-man rushes
2) Konopka in for ??? -- more grit on the forecheck when the 4th line is on and a big body in front of the NYR goal
3) Get the 3rd line throwing checks
4) get the 1st and 2nd line to forecheck more and harry the NYR blueliners
5) more puck movement to create lanes in front of Lundqvist

The Sens had about 15 minutes of good solid play where they were really taking it to the Rangers; we need 60 minutes of that. They also need to match the physical intensity if they are going to win games, rather than play the perimeter game as to get the open ice they need to play our game they need to create space.

I also need at least one extra liver, or perhaps two on quick-change connectors so I can swap them out when one is getting tired of being abused.

April 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Not sure about Konopka. You just know he will take several penalties, both warranted and not. He will likely hurt us more than help.

Sens need to crash the net and get in behind the d. Have to make the rangers slot a war zone. scrums are your friends. initiate! throw the first punch, not the retaliation one. well, ok, throw them both.

their D is good but they are also young and inexperienced. make life tough on them like they are doing to Karlsson.

stop it with the dumb turn overs in our own zone. this one could be tough as its been a problem all season long.

of the 4 goals, the only one that was soft was the first one. andy was strong the rest of the way. but there can't be any more softies.

gotta lean on gaborik. he's breakable. finish every check on him you can.

in summary, that game was too easy for the rangers. they dictated the pace for most of the game and never had to pay much of a price. hit them non-stop and you will slow them down and get them off their game.

Sens looked shell shocked tonight. now that they have a game under their belts, they should settle in and relax.

April 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Whew, tough game. Hopefully they will bounce back and get that split.

April 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

Since I woke up this morning, I've had Eric Cartman singing "Brian Boyle's a bitch" stuck in my head...

Dunno if it's good or bad...

April 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

if i were murray, i'd go to the tried and true old play-off trick of sending a video of the karlsson getting punched in the face penalty to the league, just to make a point. not that he shouldn't expect to get punched in the face, everyone does in the play-offs. but to point out that ek65 was penalized for absolutely nothing. you can't have you best player getting taken off by goons for no reason just because the refs don't have the balls to call the guy who started it. it would put the thought in the refs head to at least watch for it and not be so quick to throw both guys off, which obviously benefits the rangers.

April 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I could be wrong, but I noticed that once the game was apparently out of reach of the Sens, meaning they had nothing to lose at this point, the NYR cheap shots stopped...

April 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Pathetic effort. No one would take a hit to make a play. No one (other than Neil) would stir it up.

Rangers had a game plan and executed it perfectly. Spezza was covered, Alfie was covered and Karlsson was covered. 3rd and 4th lines were ineffective.

Stache has to put Alfie with Spezza to create more room for both of them, and Michalek.
All we need is one top line that can score first to get them on their heels, and 3 checking lines to smash to crap out of them.

Rangers are a joke but if the Sens play like a joke the joke is on them... or in this case, all over them.

April 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg