Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Pre-Playoffs Thread

Brian Murray confirmed today that the plan is to bring over both Zibanejad and Silfverberg when their respective seasons are over. It is likely they will use both of them during the playoffs - playing Zibanejad will burn 1 year from his contract, and because of Silfverberg's age 1 year is already burned off from his deal.

So, now the question is two-fold:
1. Do you mess with team chemistry by slotting one or both of these guys into the line up? Is there a risk of rocking the boat too much (i.e. some guys may feel slated by the fact they toiled for 82 games to get the team where it is)?
2. Where do you slot those guys?

My two cents:
1. Yes, to using both of them - gives the Sens best chance to win.
2. Silfverberg is a LW as per the Sens prospects report, but he can play the RW as well. He can replace Greening on the top line and try to provide more of a scoring touch, while Greening can shift down to a 3rd line role. Zibanejad would most likely be slotted as a 3rd line winger and provide speed and checking, and hopefully some goals as well.

So, projected lines:
Michalek - Spezza - Silfverberg
Foligno - Turris - Alfie
Greening - Winchester - O'Brien
Condra - Smith - Neil

Forward scratches: Butsy, Hugz-n-Tugz, Dawg-Ovens, Col. Klink (although, I wouldn't mind having Klinky in there for O'Brien - I've noticed Jimbo blow one too many defensive assignments and I can't say the same about Hammer-time)
Another option is to re-unite the "Green Slime" line of Condra, Green and Chester.

April 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Based on his play, or lack there of this season, Butler can't have a spot in the line-up guaranteed for all playoff games.
Chester played well on Sunday and deserves every chance to get his spot back. As long as his head is good, he plays in the final three games and gets a chance in the playoffs.
Sildverberg, don't know much about him so I don't know.
Z-Bad, he wasn't ready for the NHL at the start of the season, did he mature enough in the past 5 months?
Dog-Ovens and Klinkhammer are two players who know their role and do it well. I say they see some ice time in the playoffs.
Condra has struggled lately, he may sit one out for Silfverberg if he's a LW.

We have so many centers and Figs was doing well at the start when he was playing center, then when he got put back on the wing, his production wasn't the same.

April 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Put Turris with MIchalek for godsakes.

I find the SEL players like lottery tickets. You never know which one's going to be a winner.

April 2, 2012 at 7:29 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I'm OK with them taking a look at Silfverberg if it isn't going to burn another year of his contract but don't see any point in burning a year of Zibanejad's contract.

April 2, 2012 at 7:32 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Like I said, Silfverberg has already burned 1 year due to his age...

I was perusing the HF Boards and Boston fans are all cocky and looking past Ottawa, etc. As they should be - they are the champs until someone knocks their d*cks in the dirt.

However, I read an interesting point - Boston has done poorly against soft, finesse teams (i.e. teams in the Southeast). The Bruins thrive on drama, emotion, chaos in a game. So, if Ottawa comes out smash-mouth banging bodies around, face washing, crashing the crease it may actually play into Boston's favour. If Ottawa comes out and plays a high-pace, structured game (quick breakouts, shots on net with traffic, clear the front of your own net) and just goes about its business, I think they may subdue the Bruins.

I tend to agree with this, even though I know Ottawa has the personnel to play physical with the Bruins, I don't think they should. In any case, the way games are reffed I think Ottawa would get the short end of the stick in most physical interactions on the ice.

April 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I'm all good with bringing them over, just because you never know when injury might strike. Also, if they're here and getting buzzed watching, that can lead into next year. Wouldn't be happy gambling a year on a rookie. Those contracts can really help get under cap.

April 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

Along the same lines of "are these guys going to get a game or two" goes "is anyone going to sit to try and get rid of a nagging boo-boo" (not really an injury, just an ache/pain/whatever)?

According to @SensChirp and @CitizenWarren, Gonchar out with a minor lower body injury and will not play tonight against the Hurricanes, so Gilroy and Carkner will both be in.

Also, according to @ian_mendes, Tim Thomas is out for the Bruins tonight and Marty Turco and Anton Khudobin will be dressed.

April 3, 2012 at 1:12 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

The name Anton Khudobin amuses me.

April 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Chara, Thomas and Bergeron not coming to Ottawa for the game on Thursday (according to Dean Brown, and others, via Twitter).

I hope the Paularus pairs Carkner with Karlsson -- not as much offense as with Kuba, but a good deterrent for Lucic and Marchand to run him constantly if there are consequences to their actions.

April 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Top 10 Playoffs Controversial Goals

Get your heart medicine ready and have the bottle of Jack within arm's reach - turrible reffing will continue into the playoffs; it has been for decades.

April 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

think of it this way; we had an 82 game rehearsal for dealing with the unspeakably bad officiating that we are about to witness. and the way the Sens have been treated by the refs this year, i don't like are chances of doing better in that dept against the cup champs. I think we can all agree on who is likely to get more respect.

April 6, 2012 at 1:11 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Chris Neil hurt during shootout drill; won't make trip to NJ for season finale

Here's some raw footage of what happened. In a word: OUCH!

Video clip on cbc.ca

April 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

OK. This is not a good thing. No Neil and small chance of beating Bruins goes down to almost none.

April 6, 2012 at 9:23 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Ok, so who do they dress if Neil is no go for Bruins (or Rangers)?

Butler? Konopka?

Zenon gives them face offs and good cycle/4th line minutes, but probably can't keep up with the pace much and will get reputation calls.
Butler gives them more pace but no scoring or hitting.

GREAT!

April 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I vote they replace the centurion's face on the front of the sweaters to Chris Neil's.

April 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I second that. Toothless Neil grin would be awesome on a Sens jersey.

April 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

it's the Rangers in NY next---even if they lose which is likely it's a lot better matchup than Boston.

April 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

from HF boards:
"Since no one else has put on the tinfoil hat yet, let me be the first...

The biggest market US team with the biggest American television base versus the little Canadian team that's supposed to be at the bottom of the conference.

Lol, if you thought the reffing was bias during the regular season, they you haven't seen nothin' yet!"

April 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

not to mention that the sens and the refs haven't exactly been getting along real well this year. doesn't bode well.

April 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Imagine this caught on, especially in the playoffs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y97Q7jEnrWk

April 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Joe Haggerty ‏ @HackswithHaggs
Tim Thomas was asked if he was concerned White House questions might kick up w/WASH as their opponent. He promptly shut down media session

A better playoffs matchup could not have occurred for Timmy T and the Bruins muhahaha!

April 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

The NHL announced the refs and linemen for the 1st round of the playoffs. And yes O'Rourke is among them.

From tsn.ca

REFEREES

Paul Devorski, Eric Furlatt, Marc Joannette, Tom Kowal, Steve Kozari, Mike Leggo, Chris Lee, Wes McCauley, Brad Meier, Dan O'Halloran, Dan O'Rourke, Tim Peel, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Chris Rooney, Kelly Sutherland, Francois St-Laurent, Stephen Walkom, Ian Walsh and Brad Watson.

LINESMEN

Derek Amell, Steve Barton, Dave Brisebois, Lonnie Cameron, Scott Cherrey, Greg Devorski, Scott Driscoll, Shane Heyer, Brad Kovachik, Brad Lazarowich, Steve Miller, Jean Morin, Brian Murphy, Jonny Murray, Derek Nansen, Tim Nowak, Pierre Racicot, Tony Sericolo, Jay Sharrers and Mark Wheler.

Noticeable omissions from the list of referees are veterans Dave Jackson, Dennis LaRue, Don Van Massenhoven and Greg Kimmerly.

The article also talks about how Terry Gregson's duties, Director of Officiating, chooses the refs for the playoffs.

Here's an interesting note. "Terry Gregson's primary supervisory staff at the NHL level consists of former NHL officials Rob Shick, Mick McGeough, Don Koharski , Bill McCreary and Kevin Collins"

So in short, nothing will ever change with the officiating in the NHL as long as these guys are involved.

April 11, 2012 at 5:32 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

O'Dork and Peel. Great. what could go wrong?

and very encouraging to see some of the biggest disasters in officiating history are now overseeing the new reign of ineptitude and terror. That's like if Obama hired on all the guys who were responsible for the economic collapse to his cabine.......oh, wait. bad example.

April 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Saw Dennis on Sportsnet today with Kypreos and Brad May. He predicted Sens in 6. God bless Dennis. He certainly knows what side his bread is buttered on. Compared to Garry Galley Denny is the biggest homer ever and I love him.

April 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

A bit of good news... .

O'Dork is reffing in Vancouver tonight along with Devorski.

No Peel sightings on day 1 of the playoffs. Hopefully he wont be in NY tomorrow.

April 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM | Registered CommenterHomer