Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Karlsson for Hart

Karlsson for Norris is great, the kid deserves it hands down. But he should be in the run for an even bigger fish. How is he not being considered for the Hart. 8th in the NHL in pts, 2nd in assist, but most importantly he leads the NHL in takeaways. Take him off this team and Spezza doesn't get the puck, and the Sens would be as the media predicted in September. He is in Malkin, and Spezza company for most valuable player to his team.

Not that he will get either because he's small, swedish and plays for Ottawa.

Thoughts?

March 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM | Registered CommenterCuckelson

I totally think Karlsson will get passed over for anything, he's only 20 (writiers opinion) not talked or experienced enough.

the problem i have with that, is the point gap between him and the next defenceman, how close he is to the lead in points, his takeaways, his +/-. Even his improvement alone should put him in the front running.

I would love to have this conversation with a writer (voter) and see how they could argue against him winning.

Bruce Garrioch on the radio yesterday said "he's up there" and he's a local writer (he is Bruce Garrioch) but the fact that even a local writer says he's up there, only further leads me to believe he will get passed over.

March 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM | Registered CommenterThe other bob from aylmer

And I just heard the part where Russell brings up the same thing in the podcast. I somehow knew that was going to happen.

March 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM | Registered CommenterCuckelson

the last time a defenceman won the the Hart was in 1999-2000 when Chris Pronger won it. He also won the Norris that year. Before that Bobby Orr in 1971-72 was the last defencemen to win the Hart.

Karlsson's only knock is that he doesn't kill penalties. He averages 25:17 of icetime per game, but only 35 seconds of PK time per game.

March 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Garrioch, like most other old-timer voters, will stick with safe picks like Lindstrom, Webber, etc. It's just an automatic for them.

Personally, I don't care much for these individual awards. If you are a player on the Cup winning team, the awards pale in comparison to having your name on the cup. If you didn't win the cup but won an individual prize, it's like a consolation award. The Art Ross is the only meaningful award from the the individual ones because there's no subjectivity there, unlike all the rest.

March 1, 2012 at 4:46 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg