Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > WWYGEK65?

... or ... What Would You Give Erik Karlsson 65? Let's play GM for a minute here ...

I'll start with 5.75 million per for 5 years. Not too long of a term, rewards the upside ...

... thoughts???

March 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

I would talk to him about accepting 6 million a year for 3 years so that he is still a RFA when his next contract expires. If he doesn't like that then 5.5 a year for 7 years.

March 1, 2012 at 1:59 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

I was thinking the same thing, sign him to a length that when it expires he'll still be an RFA and see what the new CBA will bring before signing him to anything longer. I doubt that the NHL would allow the UFA age to be reduced any further.

It's risky signing players to big money and term.

March 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I Totally agree with bob the builder.

3 @ 6 per is totally what I think as well leaving him as an RFA for his next negotiation (Arbitration or not). The other thing with doing that is, it gives you 3 years to see if he can consistently compete at this level.

I bet the caps regret their lengthy Ovie deal, 62 points WOW. Rick Dipietro, need i say ANYTHING?

March 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM | Registered CommenterThe other bob from aylmer

I don't think I'd ever give anyone a deal longer than 5 years. just too risky. better to overpay short term than get screwed for 10 years.

March 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Doughty got 7 Million and Shea Weber is making over 7 and Karlsson is outscoring both, he's going to make 7 or very near it.
Doughty drafted the same year as Karlsson so he is a comparable.

I'd bet it would be 5 at 35M or right around there---in hindsight if they had worked something out before the season they probably could of signed him for 3.5-4M for 3-5 years. but it's to late now and Melnyk's words will be used against him in this negotiation.

March 1, 2012 at 8:13 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I would think Karlsson's camp would be happy with a shorter term for this contract. It's not this contract that will be the big money earner for Karlsson, it's the next one.

It gives karlsson the opportunity to see how the Sens continue to progress and if he isn't happy in 3 years we will still get a bundle in return for him (not that I want that to happen).

March 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

There should be no contracts longer than 5 years to protect the owners from themselves. It would also protect the fans from idiot owners and GMs who insist on handing out these deals.

March 2, 2012 at 2:27 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior