Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Brian Lee.... gone!!!

Lee goes to Tampa Matt Gilroy... I don't know about this one!!

February 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM | Registered CommenterShredder

Didn't see that one coming...

February 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

???????????????

February 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Brian Lee, $875, RFA at the end of the season
Mar Gilroy, $1M UFA at the end of the season.

Lee 167GP 5G 23A 28 PTS
Gilroy 180GP 9GP 34A 43 PTS

Lee is 3 years younger.

What part of this trade makes sense for Ottawa?

February 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

None of it makes sense. Gilroy will be gone at the end of season. For what ever reason, Murray just never was a fan of Lee. Tampa Bay wins this one.

February 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

More points from the back end, I guess...maybe making up for Meszaros?

February 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

It frees up blueline space.

This leaves Ottawa with 2 blueliners signed to 1 way deals next year (that didn't actually change with this trade). Obviously Cowen and Karlsson remain with Ottawa. that leaves 2 spots. I don't think those 2 spots are made up with bingo kids, that would mean 2 rookies and 1 sophomore on the blueline.

At least one, possibly 2 of, Kuba, Carkner and Gilroy re-sign with the sens. I think Carkner signs as a 7th dman. We already know the good and bad of Kuba, I think Gilroy has a 20 game audition for next year. If we like what we see, we re-sign him to a cheapish deal. If we don't he walks.

The fantasy scenario is that we have Phillips, Gonchar, Karlsson, Cowen and a stud UFA (Ryan Suter) and then 2 of Carkner, Gilroy and a bingo kid.

February 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM | Registered CommenterThe Apostle

Murray just spoke to the media. Sounds like Gilroy is getting an audition for a Kuba's spot next year.

Lee was obviously not in Ottawa future in Murray's eyes. He probably didn't event want to give him a qualifying offer.

February 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

again that DAMN Muckler-- even I knew at the time they should have taken a stud Junior DMan in Staal over a US high effing schooler. ToddWhite liked the trade so that's good enough for me, since he was his bag skating partner.

February 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I don't see how Tampa won, Senior.

It's an even trade. Lee is an RFA with no future in Ottawa because of his limited offensive skills and ok defense. Gilroy is a UFA who gets a tryout (like Anderson) until the end of the year to provide more offense/hockey IQ (definitely a more complete/accomplished player), but limited defensively.

It's a no lose for Ottawa - if he sucks, training camp will determine if Ottawa brings up a D from Bingo, or if they re-sign Kuba (for cheaper). Doubt Ottawa will get Suter, even if they have the cap space.

February 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Nice Gilroy Morgan! was not expecting that.

no knowing anything about Gilroy, its hard to judge this move. He sounds kind of like a campoli type player.

good for lee as he was never going to be a regular here and i think he's earned a full time slot in the league. My question is, what does Yzerman see in Lee that he doesn't in Gilroy? Must be a reason he was willing to let him go.other than he's a UFA. maybe that's all it was?

If murray doesn't re-sign Gilroy, we give away Lee for nothing.

we'll see how it plays out.

February 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Damn u had to mention Campoli, who went for a First Round draft pick. If Gilroy is Campoli I see no upside at all but on a team that has been outscored as much as Tampa has been Gilroy was still a +2 this season so that's something

February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I do think the Sens needed a strong stay-at-home defenseman not a new Campoli, but we'll see.... Maybe the system in Tampa didn't fit the style he plays. Karlsson is not a defensive d-man, but he gets away with a lot with his skating ability and good stick. If Gilroy can provide that, it'll be good.

@ Russell, I don't see how giving away Lee for nothing is a problem. He has no market value and he didn't fit Murray's plans long-term. And it's not like Gilroy is in a strong bargaining position, even if he does have a solid 20 games here in the end. Should cost more than a 1M-1.2M if he's worth resigning.

February 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Best day of Lee's life. It was crystal clear that they were avoiding playing him as much as they could this season. He played well enough it shamed them into giving him his recent ice time....or was that to get some film for the trade.

Don't like losing Lee. He was young, healthy, developing, etc. Spent way to much time on the bench this year.

Never heard of Gilroy. Fingers crossed on this one.

February 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I think Lee is worth a late round pick. I think he'll do better in tamps with a regular spot. it had to be hard to constantly be in and out of the line up and never develop a flow. he'll never be a star but he'll have a solid career.

February 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Sens were 12-0-1 in Lee's last 13 games that he played they said on the radio today, I think Garrioch wrote that. That's not bad.

Good news from NY the Devils just lost in regulation again if the Sens can finally beat Boston they'll pass NJ

February 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

To be fair, the Sens are undefeated with Matt Gilroy :P (maybe until tomorrow lol)

It'd be great if the Sens can snag the 6th seed and play Florida, Washington, or the Peg.

February 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Dawg, what you describe is the Holy Grail for us: Florida in the first round.

February 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

Good article from Ottawa Citizen: http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/lee-gilroy-hope-opportunity-comes-with-the-new-scenery

February 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior