Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > draft pick for Bishop

http://i.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388911

Do the blues feel like they owe us for Elliott?

February 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM | Registered Commenterzebek

He's not just a goalie! He's a bad-ass crime fighter too!

Hopefully, he's not too late top save our play-off spot.

February 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The St. Louis Blues have dealt goaltender Ben Bishop to the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a 2nd round selection in the 2013 entry draft.

The Senators have signed Bishop to a one-year, one-way contract.

The 25-year-old netminder has put up exceptional numbers with the American Hockey League's Peoria Rivermen this season, registering a 24-14 record with a 2.26 goals-against average and 0.928 save percentage through 38 games.

The Blues were forced into making a decision on the 25-year-old netminder due to the team's crowded crease. With All-Star Brian Elliott and 2010-11 starter Jaroslav Halak still under contract, the 6'7" Bishop was in danger of becoming a Group 6 unrestricted free agent this off-season.

Bishop was originally drafted in the third round (85th overall) by the Blues at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft.

The Denver, Colorado native hasn't played an NHL game since March 7 of last year.

Whoever can tell us what a Group 6 UFA is in terms that we can understand u should win a Billion Dollars

February 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Bishop will have a familiar face in Ottawa as Senators goaltender coach Rick Wamsley worked with him while he was with the Blues organization.

Anderson is signed for the next three seasons, so Bishop's presence will provide competition for Lehner heading into training camp next season for the backup job.

all that is stuff I copied and pasted

February 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Group 6 UFAs - a 25+ yo player w/ 3+ professional seasons and less than 80 games played (28 for goalies).

So you're right TJ, Blues would have likely lost Bishop to free agency. Good move by both GMs.

Lehner is signed through 12/13 still on an entry-level deal I believe. He will be RFA afterwards. Murray is doing a nice job of hedging the goalie position.

February 26, 2012 at 1:40 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Former NHL goalie Darren Pang, now a television analyst, offers this analysis: "Bishop has really matured as a complete goalie. He communicates really well with his defensmen and is an excellent puck handler. He is not a 'blocker' of the puck, he has very good hands, catches pucks. He can afford to play deep in the net because of his size and his hockey sense."

this sounds good to me.

February 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Isn't Bagpipes Burke looking for goalie help?

"Hey, Brian, there's this guy in the St. Louis organization that you might.....too late!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg

February 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Shanghai - just before I got this text from TSN about the trade...some leaf fan was ragging on me about my team being in trouble and that the Leafs would get a goalie and the sens would plummet in the standings, since Andy got hurt...then i forwarded him the text lmao....

February 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM | Registered Commenterzebek

so if Bishop has a one-way deal, he's up in the bigs for the duration, right? i'm confused.

February 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM | Registered Commentervansensfan

I love this trade to shore up our goaltending depth and have our backup in place for next season without having to hit free agency. This kid was great when I watched him play at Maine.

Bishop-Auld for the remainder of the season until Andy comes back. Then it will be Andy-Bishop in Ottawa and Lehner-Auld in Bingo.

so if Bishop has a one-way deal, he's up in the bigs for the duration, right? i'm confused.

Yes, if Lehner outplays him in camp we can try and waive him for Bingo, but he would likely get picked up.

Potentially stealing him from the Screaming Trees is gold.

February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Bishop can be sent to Bingo this year without going through waivers but not next season. so, he's gonna be the back up next season almost guaranteed. Lehner would have to steal the spot from him. I can't see murray risking putting Bishop through waivers next year. he would get scooped for sure. It looks like lehner is pretty much locked into bingo for another season.

February 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell
February 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

zebek - that is too funny!

Making fun of the Leafs and their dumbass fans is like using the "Free" space on a bingo card!

February 27, 2012 at 3:07 AM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

Bishop assigned to Bingo.

February 27, 2012 at 2:25 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

i now hear that Bishop might be abe to be sent to Bingo next year without clearing waivers. that would be easier for Lehner to swallow.

February 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell