Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Trade Deadline 2012

So, Dominic Moore goes to SJ for a 2nd.
I wish the Sens picked him up. Maybe Yzerman didn't want to trade him to a team in the East (as per Pierre McGuire), and the 2nd rounder is a little high of a price, but he would have slotted nicely on the Sens.

February 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Staying with the Bolts, Kubina is apparently on the trading block.

Not that I want him in Ottawa, but if Ottawa were make a trade involving Kuba and Kubina, would Bob Cole even notice?

February 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

The SS Hal Gill just got traded to Nashville for Slaney, a 2nd, and Blake Geoffrion. His grandfather was "Boom Boom" Geoffrion and great grandfather was Howie Morenz. No pressure kid.

February 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM | Registered CommenterSpaceman

"SS Hal Gill". Hilarious.

February 18, 2012 at 3:44 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

To Philly: D Pavel Kubina
To Tampa: 2nd-Round Pick (2012 or 2013), 4th-Round Pick (2013)

Rumour has it (thanks Adele) Rick Nash to San Jose.... Will be a perfect fit with the underachieving Jumbo Joe and Patty Marleau.

February 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

the Sharks did beat the RedWings the last 2 seasons in the playoffs and Jumbo was the main reason last year--the Sharks are just not good enough in goal to win a Cup. if u beat the RedWings in the playoffs that's not underachieving and I think no way the Sharks have the stomach to give up what it would take to get Nash

February 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I should clarify what I meant. Every year (as far back as 2005 that I can remember) when the playoffs matchups are set, the different panels pick their potential Cup winners/finalists. And every year (since 05) 2-3 of the "sports experts" pick the Sharks to go to the finals and even win. Fans build their fantasy teams for the office pools with the same expectation. What happens in the end - Sharks fail. I was a big fan, and I'm starting to come back to them now with Couture on their team. I didn't like a couple of their dirty players that tried to take out the Sens, but that's hockey.

Bottom line, Jumbo Joe has not proven (yet) that he can lead a team to the finals or a cup. They said the same thing about Alfie and he proved them wrong in 07. Time will tell. I fear the same thing will happen to the Sens with Spezza. He's pretty good in the regular season, but can he lead the team in the playoffs when Alfie rides off into the sunset?

February 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Yeah the "experts" have put unrealistic expectations on that bunch in my opinion, I watch almost as many Shark games as I do Senator games and I've never once thought they could win a Cup. If they had more guys like Boyle and Couture then maybe they could win it all. Jumbo and Marleau at times step up in playoffs but neither has what it takes to take it all the way, but beating the Wings is a monumental acheivement in my opinion. And 2 years in a row is down right amazing the Wings are so good.

I hope u r wrong about Spezza but......

February 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

The Sharkies def. matched up well vs. Detroit in the playoffs, but anyone that watched those games could tell you it was a coin flip. The action was back and forth with each team trading blows.

I truly believe that if the Wings beat the Ducks in 06-07, the Sens would have matched up incredibly well vs. the Wings. And the hockey would be better, faster, more skilled as well. Instead the Ducks won in game 7 I think, Sens came into the series after sitting on their hands for 10 days and never got back up to the level of intensity they needed to. Damn NHL scheduling.

February 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Yeah that layoff hurt--but the Ducks having Pronger and Niedermeyer hurt more and until last game all the loses were by 1 stinking goal. And Burke's team gooned it up and slowed the play way down. Wings vs. Sens would have been a much better matchup and had to of been way more exciting.

February 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Reading between the lines in what Murray said about Kuba (http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/02/21/murray-no-plans-to-deal-kuba), we're keeping Kuba until the end of the season because the team is playing well and he's a part of it. Not trading him unless there's a 1st round pick offered (or something of that nature). Not resigning him next year, unless he takes a severe pay cut (which he won't), because I have young defensemen coming in that need playing time.

It's shocking that Karlsson will be one of the grizzled vets on this team next year, mentoring Borocop and Wiercioch. Wow time flies.

February 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Trade:

CBJ sends F Antoine Vermette to PHX for 2012 2nd round pick (OTT pick), 2013 5th round pick and minor league G Curtis McElhinney

You might remember McElhinney from his brief stay here last year after he was claimed off waivers.

February 22, 2012 at 1:28 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Salary dump.

February 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

one of the few times a player would be happy to leave a team and go to Phoenix. of course, he may very well be in Quebec soon.

February 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Hmm... Trading Vermette for a goalie. Remember when we did that? Didn't work out too well. Wonder what jaws is up to now.

February 22, 2012 at 5:13 PM | Registered CommenterAtheist Aussie

With regards to Kuba and what Ottawa might be able to get for him, Toronto got Joe Colborne, who was a 16th overall pick, a 1st rounder and a conditional 2nd round pick. Now if someone is willing to overpay like that for Kuba, then make the trade.

Contracts that are up at the end of the season and possible trade bate?

UFAs
Kuba, doubt that he'll be back next year. If someone willing to overpay, then make the trade.
Carkner, don't know he he'll be back next year, only played 23 games this year. We won't get much for him and at only $700K, keep him for depth in the playoffs.
Konopka, same as Carkner, but played 49 games.
Winchester, still not back from a concussion which are unpredictable, doubt there will be any takers. May not be back with Sens next year.
Auld, he's not trade bate, but if anything Murray should maybe look at getting a better backup.

Now looking forward to next year....

This season's cap minimum was $48.3M with the max being 64.3. The minimum is set to be $16M less than the max. According to capgeek.com, we're at $51.3M this season so we should have plenty of room for next year.

RFAs

#1. Karlsson. Currently making $1.3M. How much can afford we pay him? Take his current $1.3, add Kuba's $3.7M and a combined $2.43M for buyouts (Cheechoo, Emery, Alfredsson) that we finish paying this year and you have $7.43M, which should be more than enough.
#2. Foligno, Currently at $1,2M. Should stay with the team and will get a raise.
#3. Regin. Injured most of the season and making $1M. He's not nothing to bargain with. Can be signed for qualifying offer ($1M) or a little more if Ottawa wants him.
#4 Daugavins, making $600K, a solid 4th liner, should get a qualifying offer.
#5. O'Brien, has shown some promise. Making $817K, qualify him instead of resigning Winchester?
#6. Lee, making $875K. Only played 33 games, but probably deserved more. sign him with Kuba freeing up a spot?

Cap wise were in very good shape next year.

February 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Great recap Homer---I guess now with hindsight it would have really benefited Ottawa had they signed Karlsson earlier this year

February 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Bobby Mac hints that LA may be pushing to move Brown (cap reasons). This would fall under the hockey trade umbrella that Murray has been talking about.

February 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Brown is not that good--remember LA is having a terrible time scoring, he's tough and scores a little.....

February 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

rumour has it the Sens are looking a G Ben Bishop from St.Louis.

Bishop, playing with the Golden Gawd (11) and the Apostle (65). hmmm...seems like we're on the right side.

February 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Always nice to be on the side of the Gods--but it was that Ekland guy who started that rumor and he's as reliable as Healy is. Besides Bishop is young and the Blues would want a young prospect like Stone or ZBad for Bishop and the Sens have Lehner

February 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

i have no idea what the asking price is but I'm sure they won't be giving up an A-list prospect to get him. With Elliot and Halak playing so well, i can see that they simply don't need him.

February 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Bishop to Sens a for a draft pick. don't know which yet.

looks like he's got real potential, not just a stop gap. he's freakin' huge! But, he has hair.

UFA this summer,i think.

February 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Bishop's 6'7". Keep Marchand away from him!

February 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

its a 2nd rounder for Bishop. he's got a one year, one way deal.Blues signed him to deal before the trade.

February 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell