Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Pesky Playoffs Push (PPP)

Tj, you're not in the Filmore district, are you? you know, cuz....we had some trouble up there in the filmore district last year....

February 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Unfortunately will be in SoCal - LA.
I would very much like to visit SF one day! Along with Chicago and NYC, one of my fave cities.

March 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

isles knocked off the bruins today. that was nice of them.

March 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

7-5-2 (76pts, goal 92) L to Ray-ray and the Hawks. Nice of the Bruins to drop 2pts as well and keep pace with the Sens.

Did not see the game, but it with 2 goals in 2 games the Sens need to pick up the offense again. Hopefully, call-up Klinkhammer can provide a spark or light a fire under some guy's asses who are also fighting for ice time.

March 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

7-6-2 (76pts; goal 92pts) L to Panthers

The Good
- Jimi O'Brian and Klinkhammer's efforts were quite noticeable on the ice and warrant the ice-time their getting

The Bad
- When the Sens traded away Lee for Gilroy, it was to bring more mobility and offence. What the Sens gave up was a steady, young Dman that was getting better at defence. What they got was a guy who jumps up the ice all the time leaving the back end exposed. I see what the team was trying to do: pair up a stay at home D with a mobile offensive one (Karlsson-Kuba, Gonchar-Cowen, Phillips-Gilroy). So far, it hasn't worked out. The team has to get better at DEFENCE. How are they going to win in the playoffs when they jump out to a 2-0 lead and leak the next 4 goals in? You win in the playoffs with shutdown D.

The Ugly
- Karlsson's on-ice demeanor last 2 games. The kid is showing a lot of frustration which translates into selfish play and dumb penalties. I hope this is a small blip on the radar and he can reign his nerves in. Otherwise, this is not a good trend.

March 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Just checked that video, amazing, great message. Thanks for posting!

March 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM | Registered CommenterHwydog

8-6-2 (78pts, goal 92) W over Tampa

- Greening with the Gordie Howe
- Bishop looked nervous and playd deep in his first Sens NHL game
- Michalek with the hat-trick
- Karlsson dominated again but showed signs of frustration again
- Gilroy did not look good, Cowen made some risky plays, Turris continues to deke in the low slot in his own zone, Alfie's game has dropped off
- Klinkhammer played very well - got his shot on net when possible, got in a hit when possible, got to the front of the net, but his teammates were visibly not looking for him... he's not being used to the best of his abilities by his teammates
- Gonchar made some nice defensive plays and is starting to shoot more
- Foligno is not scoring, not hitting, not fightint.... what is he doing?

March 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

for a 4 goal win it sure wasn't that easy and the score was misleading. u broke it down well Dawg and if u didn't know better by how many guys didn't play that well u have to wonder how the hell they won that game.
TB losing their hot goalie to injury sure did help the Sens.

March 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Good point by you, TJ. I guess they can afford to have a so-so game and still win against non-playoff teams with 40 year old backups in net.
I guess the reason why I'm pointing out all the negatives (and some positives) is because this kind of play will result in a 0-4 loss in the playoffs vs. Boston or the Rangers. I gotta say though, the first 15-20 min of the last 2 games have been great. If they can put together a 60-65min effort like that, they could make some noise in the playoffs.

March 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

the book on bishop is he does play deep in his net, but he does this consciously because he's so big he can get away with it more that other goalies so don't read anything into that. I thought he looked fine and wouldn't blame him for any of those goals.

that was one of cowen's worst games this year. terrible decisions all night.

sens are at their best when they are forechecking and hitting hard. they looked better at times last night, especially in the 1st because of this. they need to pay that way all game.

March 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

9-6-2 (80pts, goal 92) W over NYR Owning the Rangers this year, and always owning Biron.
Rangers are quite the annoying opponent with a lot of hits, a lot of blocked shots, and few allowed shots.
They really finished off Karlsson tonight, especially Callaghan. Sens need to protect the Apostle better.

Klinkhammer, Cowen and Turris stood out, honorable mentions to Alfie and O'Brien. A light bulb may have gone off in Greening, Foligno and Smith's heads - finish your checks, go to the net and be a pain in the ass for the other team. Not sure why Condra and Daugavins have dropped off so much.

Gilroy I noticed again, for the wrong reasons. But I guess they've decided to sink or swim with him this year.

March 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Good news - Winchester is feeling healthy again and may be close to a return.
Makes you wonder, if Winchester and Regin played all year, how would this team look? There would probably be no Kyle Turris...
Regin and Winchester's play in the pre-season and beginning of the season was really strong at both ends of the ice - Regin more offensively, Winchester more defensively on the 4th line.

Winchester could really solidify the 4th line if he returns. Next year, assuming Rein is healthy, this team will have great depth at centre.

March 9, 2012 at 11:11 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

The Sens have to get out of 7th spot, into 8th or 6th (or higher). just don't want to meet the bruins in first round. The bruins are coasting right now. they know what's ahead. they will be there when it matters.

March 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

My sentiments exactly, Russell. I can't believe the are just coasting (with injuries) and still 2nd.

The Sens *could* knock them off, but they would have to be able to get on their D and finish their checks. Wear the Bruins down. I think the Bruins have some fatigue from the long season last year.

The Sens showed they could dominate at times (like the 1-0 win), which could have been a bigger win if they hadn't missed so many chances. But, there was some luck there, as Boston had some missed opportunities as well.

I better get extra batteries for my pacemaker - it's gonna be an insane series.

March 10, 2012 at 2:19 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

we lost like 9 straight to them before finally beat them, right? i don't like those odds.

March 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

9-6-3 (81pts, goal 92) OTL to Buffalo matches up well against the Sens and the games are usually high-octane, like this last one.

Miller made huge saves and Sens D couldn't protect the lead for a win. Spezza is playing like a man-possessed and has really evolved his game. For example, he didn't think twice about dumping the puck off the boards on his very first shift, at which time Klinkhammer and Milo attacked the boards. Then, on his next shift he skated from the blue line to make a decent hit. For years I thought (and everyone has said) Spezza would not change his soft style. Well, he is.

Karlsson scored 2 goals - not bad for a game-time decision. Kid suck it up. I like it. Zack Smith and Daugavins better step up a little more or they'll find themselves next to Carks and Butler in the pressbox sipping on mineral water while Winchester and Konopka smash some bodies around.

Lastly, would someone please end Kaleta? Preferably, before he goes out smashes Alfie. Neil?

March 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Thanks to Pittspuke for beating Boston today---does anyone else think like I do that the best way for Ottawa to even have a chance in the playoffs is to pass Boston for that 2nd spot to avoid Boston first and foremost. Because it sure looks like they ain't passing NJ or Philly for 6th or higher.

March 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

if Ottawa went to 2nd it would be Ottawa's luck that Boston would be 7th

March 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

On the bright side, TJ, if Ottawa is matched up against Boston, you know they won't take the B's lightly and play their hearts out. Gonna be a good series.

Winning a divisional banner? Whoever thought in September that this be possible?

March 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

is it wrong to love the fact that the Laffs were shutout in both games they absolutely had to have this weekend?

March 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Absolutely not, TJ, and don't let anyone tell you different. I know Habs fans get mad at Sens fans for hating Leafs fans with a passion, but we all know Habs fans are attention whores who go back to polishing their precious cup rings and live in the days of old...

The question now, TJ, is what are they going to do with all the Leafs 2012 Stanley Cup Champions caps and shirts they had made?
Does champagne taste better with time?

March 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

9-6-4 (82pts, goal 92) SOL to Habs, I could also use the same 3 letters to describe Gilroy's terrible play offensively, or the collective effort by the team. Reality is the Habs have owned the Sens this year. Total role reversal from last year.
Sens need 5 wins in the remaining 11 games to quite possibly clinch.

March 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

the damn Laffs are winning 3-0 on the road in TB--WTF, now those jackasses will give Ottawa all they want Sat.nite. The good news is Florida is beating Boston 4-1 but Ottawa has got to win for any of this losing streak by Boston to mean anything

March 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

I'm happy TO is winning the odd game. The need to finish 9th or 10th... not that they'd know what to do with a top 5 pick if they finished in the lottery... probably trade it away to Boston for truculance

March 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

10-6-4 (84pts, goal 92) W vs. Habs

Habs PK was outstanding, best on the road, and you could see why. They pressured the points effectively and blocked EVERYTHING else. Felt like they had 3 goalies on the ice whenever the Sens got a PP, which was a lot of times.

With 10 games left, Stache will need to finalize lines and get Anderson in some games so he can get in a groove.
Is Winchester going to be back, or is he shut down for the season?
Will they continue playing Gilroy (the new Corvo with less offense), or will they give Carks a chance to get back in?
Is Butler going to keep getting chances on the top line and PP and fail, while Konopka or Daugavins sit out?

March 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg