Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > The Sens and refs

i've heard all the cliches, the calls all balance out over a season, the refs are human, blah blah. but i present to you:

- alfie takes elbow to head, no call or suspension.
- winchester is concussed with hit from behind, no call or suspension.
- numerous BS calls on Foligno
- any number of kenopka calls
- two knees on foligno, no suspensions.
- i believe neil was tossed for some ridiculous reason earlier this year.
- diving call on neil/ov spear
- the briere nut spear on condra
- the last three games and those debacles.

these are just the ones i can remember right now. at what point does it stop being just whiney sens fans and become something else? 3 games? 5 games? half a season? cuz, we're kinda there now.

January 25, 2012 at 8:17 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Obviously The Stache has realized it's time to bend over and relax after watching his post game interview. When he was asked about whether the Foligno call should have been a penalty, he replied, "it doesn't matter what I think"

How a league can allow such blatant incompetence to continue to make a mockery of the rules, is beyond me, but you'd damn well better not complain, or it gets worse.

It's like getting the crap beat out of you because you went and told the teacher that little Johnnie beat you up.

I guess the only answer is to score so many damn goals that when you get the shaft, you are ahead enough that it doesn't matter.

January 25, 2012 at 9:10 AM | Registered CommenterPortera

one thing is pretty obvious; the 2 ref system is a complete failure. I've been saying since day 1 on the podcast that reffing has always been the disgrace on the NHL, as far back as i can remember. but i can't remember it ever being as bad as it is now. so, what's the point of having two refs? its pretty clear it does nothing but confuse matters even further.

January 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The is from Kerry Fraser's column on TSN.ca

"Last night in Los Angeles an obstructed view was gained as referee Peel peered through the net and the back of players; particularly the back and arm of Senators defenceman Chris Phillips. From this vantage point (and without the benefit of X-ray eyes) the referee was given the impression that the puck had been covered by Phillips hand as it was slid toward goaltender Craig Anderson.

It was next to impossible for the referee to correctly determine if the puck had been covered by Chris Phillips from this disadvantaged position. Instead, if the referee had attacked the net with quick feet movement from the side and slightly ahead of the goal line, an angled front view looking into the net would have provided the best sightline to determine that Phillips did not cover the puck in the crease."

So basically what he's saying is that Tim Peel wasn't in good position to determine if Phillips covered the puck with his hand, yet he made the call anyway based on an assumption. You know what happens when a ref assumes. He makes an ASS out of U, ME and the Sens.

How many times to you hear that a ref didn't make a call because he didn't see it. Well then why the hell did TIm Peel make a call when he didn't see Phillips cover the puck with his hand.

Someone needs to put out some videos on YouTube in the same way that Brenda does his videos except that they call out the refs on their "infractions". I see it going something like this...

"On Monday January 23rd at 19:27 of the 2nd period between the Ottawa Senators and Los Angeles Kings an incident occurred where referee Tim Peel made an incorrect call that Senators defenceman Chris Phillips covered the puck in the crease and awarded a penalty shot. The replay clearly shows that Tim Peel was not in a good position to make the proper call. Tim Peel made the call to award a penalty shot based on an assumption and there is no place for that in our game. For that reason I am giving referee Tim Peel a bitch slap, a public flogging and re-assigning him to referee 5 midget wresting matches. Past infractions also came into this decision."

January 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I also keep hearing how these calls are Maclean's fault for calling out refs. maybe so, but what exactly is he supposed to do when an official tells him, wrongly, that one of his best and most important players is a diver and they won't be giving him any calls? is he just supposed to say, "ok, that's fine. no problem. we'll just accept being screwed over for the next however many years he's a Sen"? Doesn't he have the responsiblility to try and do something? we all know the league will not addres this so what other option does he have except to expose it to the media and hopefully put the spot light on the guy?

maybe that's the totally wrong thing to do but really, what other recourse does he have? if he can't speak out, and the league won't then these guys are simply untouchable.

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

totally agree with Fraser. if he had seen the play, he wouldn't have made the call as it was clear philips didn't cover the puck. so, obviously, the ref guessed. since when do you call an penalty shot on a guess?

or, did he see what happened and decided to make the call anyways. why, to stick it too maclean? i know, sounds ridiculous but if he didn't then he's incompetent. so, take your pick. corrupt or incompetent. there's no other possible answer here.

January 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

My thoughts on the comments above:

- Sometimes the best call by a ref is the one not made; you don't see it, you don't call it. You don't assume.
- What's Stache supposed to do when Karlsson got called a diver? NOTHING! KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Why? Because 1) this 4th rate league won't do anythign about it and 2) because the zebras are biased like all humans. Life's not fair and neigther is hockey. You bit the bullet and you simply tell that zebra that he's wrong and his attitude is poor - let him figure it out.
- Sens have been beneficiaries of many calls this year as well... just saying.
- The team's been playing poor for quite a few games now, and games are being decided by ref's blown calls. If the team's playing well, they overcome bad calls. Just sayin.

January 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Senators to blame for losses, not refs

... sluuuuuuurrrrpppp .... aaaaaaahhhhh. Man, that Kool-aid tastes nice .... can I have some more?

January 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Good recap Russell but these last few games have been absolutely frikkin awful over and above anything previous

January 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Sens have played terrible for one reason or another - not my job to figure it out. Refs haven't helped, but the team has sucked the last week or so!

Come on, Duck, they let freaking Phoenix take it to them before trying to mount a comeback, eventually to be stopped by one ref's blown call. PHOENIX - a team made up of people I thought had already retired or gone to the KHL.

January 25, 2012 at 8:37 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

My Kool-aid jest was not aimed at the play of the Sens - I agree that they should have bounced Phoenix like a Superball, bad call or no bad call. Maclean is right - if they'd scored more goals it wouldn't have been an issue.

My issue is with the fact that Maclean is obviously backing off/changing his tone from the previous statements around the refs inconsistencies/bad calls ... NOT because they were in fact consistent and he was wrong, NOT because there was no proof that the calls were bad, but because either he realised it or some one told him, "Hey, if you criticize the ref, you're screwed ... and not just this game. All the rest of the game's this year ..."

MacLean can see the Emperor has no clothes on and calls it as such ... the players on the ice can assurably see it ...everyone else looking at the play from the outside thanks to HD cameras and a zillion angles can also see that the Emperor's happy weasel is hanging in the wind ... but you can't point it out or YOU'LL be the ones paying for it.

THAT PISSES ME OFF ... this is an adult sport run by grown men with a barnyard full of rules to go by. Truth in sport is a sacred tradition ... and if it's a lie then it's wrong. I know that sounds idealistic, but it's the way I feel - it's the way my father taught me to appreciate sport ... the referees should be enforcing the rules of the game, not their own bias. When they do show that bias or make an error, they should be called on it ...

... whew. Maybe I need some Xanax ...

January 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

"Emperor's happy weasel is hanging in the wind ... but you can't point it out"

i beg to differ

January 25, 2012 at 11:00 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

i think whether or not these particular calls cost the sens a game or not is secondary to the fact that they are happening at all.

January 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

From Ken Warren's article

Terry Gregson, the NHL’s director of officiating, defended his official on Wednesday. “You do not work the Stanley Cup finals in this league, as Dan did last year, without being a top notch official working from an impartial perspective,” Gregson told the Citizen in an email. “An official must enter each game with the mindset of being prepared, but not prejudging what will occur.”

Every time a ref is in the spot light for questionable calls, this is their answer that they feed us. It makes me sick.

Gregson, why don't you followup that BS with an explanation of the past 4 games. You can't could you? The only possible explanations are
1. Refs at times have a grudge against a team and screw them over.
2. Refs are completely effing incompetent.

It's obvious that the NHL doesn't give a rats' ass about integrity.

February 1, 2012 at 7:09 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

meh

I love hockey but hate the jerk offs in it's front offices.

February 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

was listening to garry galley today on the radio. his take was that yes, refs will hold a grudge, they are a fraternity and have each others backs. they are human. he doesn't excuse them but his point was that maclean should have addressed this behind closed doors with the refs and the league. by taking it to the press, he embarrassed the refs and now they are making him pay. its not right, but its the way things work in the nhl.

i guess after thinking about what he said, he's right. its ridiculous that the refs can be that unaccountable but they are. so, you have to live with it or pay the price, as the sens are now.

galley also said that Chris Neil is considered a diver by the league, something he told Neil, who was apparently completely shocked that he had that rep. is neil a diver? i'd say no but i have to be honest and say that sometimes he will over-exaggerate a legitimate foul against him. seems like a fine line but i think there is a difference.

February 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Neil and Karlsson divers? What's next? Andy gets a diving penalty for jumping on the puck?

If penalties on Karlsson and Neil aren't called because they're known "divers", then someone explain to me how Derek Roy still draws penalties...

February 2, 2012 at 8:59 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter