Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Trade Deadline Feb. 27th

Seems like the Pesky Sens will be buyers at the deadline. Murray indicates he would be looking to add forward depth.
Murray has also indicated he's not trading away 1st round picks or top prospects (i.e. Zibanejad).

Here's a few questions that I'd like to get your opinion on:
1. Kuba - re-sign him? trade him?
2. If Murray is able to add a player like Bobby Ryan for a package deal, what would be acceptable?
3. Which players are you ok with being traded?

Keep in mind Ottawa has 13.267M in cap space (nhlnumbers.com), so they can potentially swing a trade where a large contract comes their way for a low round pick and a prospect/player.

My view is that the defense needs more help than the forwards - the team doesn't have scoring problems, but does let in more than 3 goals per game on average. I would love for them to trade Gonchar away but he's a 5.5M hit. I can live with Kuba being re-signed for no more than 2M, but the team does have a lot of budding young D-men down in Bingo.

Get creative and let's hear it!

January 11, 2012 at 7:01 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

What are the rules? Do we have to be realistic or can we think like Leafers?

If thinking like a leafer, then we can get Bobby Ryan for Peter Regin, if they balk, then we can throw in Butler.
On D, how about a big guy like Brent Burns from SJ. I'm sure they'd want to upgrade to a guy like Kuba. If they don't think its enough, then we can throw in the rights to Filatov.

I'd even be willing to throw in two hard boiled eggs in each of these trades.

January 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

"Do we have to be realistic or can we think like Leafers?"

Is this a rhetorical question?

Not a big fan of Butsy, even though he's scored a couple of times recently. I'm thinking Murray will add a solid 3rd liner if he can. He won't be making a big splash because he doesn't want to throw away the future. Too bad both Winchester and Regin are injured - both are UFAs

January 11, 2012 at 7:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Don't forget about chemistry. We seem to have some good chemistry in the dressing room this season, which is really good to see after the past 3-4 years You don't want to upset that for a rent-a-player or for someone who doesn't fit in.

I also don't want to trade a good prospect like a Brooks Laich for a Peter Bondra again.

According to capgeek.com, Regin ($1M) will be an RFA, while Chester ($750K) will be a UFA. being injured most of the season, I doubt that they'll be getting much more than what they are currently making. They're only chance to cash in would be to come back in time for a strong playoff run.

January 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

To be honest, I'm in a bit of a quandry about what to do at the deadline if the team continues to play as it has.

Blueline:

Kuba is UFA, but he's playing very well and contributing to this team. I find it hard to fathom how exactly he and Karlsson are doing so well in +/-, given that they aren't physically 'destructive', but they are and I don't want to lose that chemistry. Moving Gonchar would be good, and re-sign Kuba if he'll take a deal that works for the team (perhaps 2 or 3 years?) to give time for Bingo players like Gryba, Wiercoch and Borowiecki a chance to come up and get ice time. This would also mean that one of Lee / Carkner would be gone as well.

Forwards:

Konopka and Winchester are UFA, Foligno, Daugavins and Regin are RFA. I've liked Konopka's work at the dot, but he's too prone to get into fights and seems to play like that is how he justifies his position, so I'm not sold on bringing him back right now. If he could reign in the PIMs he takes, he'd be more use. Winchester has shown he's good on the PK, the 4th line and can contribute offensively at the 4th line level (ie/ occasionally), so I like him staying until some of the young draft picks like Stone / Z-bad / Prince / Noesen / Puempel or AHLers like Hoffman / Hamilton / Petersson and even DaCosta and O'Brien get a real shake at playing at the NHL level. Nicky Figgs is having a banner year and should return, and K-Daug is doing well at times, but Regin might be the next Denis Hamel (injury = not NHL player anymore).

All that said, if Gonchar and Foligno/Daugavins/Butler/DaCosta can be packaged for the right player / pick combo, I'd be open to it. Kuba is younger and working well with Karlsson, so signing him would be a good move until other young players are ready for the kind of minutes he logs. I don't see many ready to step in and shouldering the load that Cowan and The Apostle are right now.

January 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Homer the Leaf impression was damn funny. Unfortunately in just about every city in the world there are talk show callers who want to make trades like that and get pissed when the host tells them that their trade scenarios are stupid.

January 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"I'd even be willing to throw in two hard boiled eggs in each of these trades."

*HONK HONK*

January 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Kuba is an interesting situation right now. i mean, the way he's playing, why wouldn't you want him back? however, will he continue to play like this, and he's finally healthy! will you ever have a better chance to trade him? he's probably at his peak value right now. Plus, i'm sure he'll want a long term deal and i wouldn't do that again with him. I'd move him for prospects or maybe another, younger d-man. I know we could use him in a play-off run but realistically, for me its still about the long-term re-build.

Gonch, if you could move him, do it! again, for more youth. We have lots of offence on the back end now with karlsson. if we could move Gonch for a more solid D-man, I'd do it.

Up front, i dunno. everything is clicking so well, not sure I would mess with it. it would have to be a no-brainer.

whatever happens, i wouldn't want to give up any of the future for a play-off run this year cuz no matter what you add, it won't be enough to knock off the Bruins. I'm still aiming for 2-3 years from now.

January 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

ps:- check out the new poll question.

January 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I feel the Sens need a bit more Depth on the blue line and a Reliable Backup Goalie

January 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM | Registered CommenterRobert Hill

Glad it's Murray's call and not mine. I think this team has earned the right to see how far they can go and if this is Alfie's last season they owe it to him to give it their best shot. I just don't think this team is ready for a playoff run. The Sens have problems when the other team fore checks them hard. And that is what they can expect just about every shift in the playoffs. They will not be able to rely on the other team backing off in the third period to protect a lead. Anderson would have to play out of his mind for them to get out of the first round. I hope Murray doesn't give away young prospects to bring in a couple of older players that may help them win a series. So unless they are offered a "are you kidding me" trade that helps the team over the next few years, I think you let the guys that got you here see what they can do.

January 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior