Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2012 All-Star Game (aka SenStar Game!)

Starting lineup
Michalek - Spezza - Alfie
Karlsson - Phaneuf
Thomas

WOOHOO!!! Good on ya Sens fans!! I can't wait to hear the Alfie chants echoing inside Scotiabank Place :))
PRAISE ALFIE!

January 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

How are we supposed to boo Phaneuf if he's paired with The Sens Phenom?

January 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

We're not going to boo Phaneuf or anybody. Ottawa has more class than Toronto and Montreal where they boo the other team's captain or national anthems.

We're just going to cheer extremely loudly for Alfie and the gang :)) At least I will.

It was extremely entertaining to listen to Leaves fans cry on the radio this morning about the near Sens sweep of the votes. Gonchar was only a like 10K votes behind Phaneuf.

January 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Karlsson is the top vote getter with 939,591, Alfie 2nd with 897,055.
Phaneuf beat Gonchar by a little over 11,000 votes. So close to a sweep among the skaters.

Reimer came in 2nd behind Thomas in goal. I don't think that he'll be at that all-star game. Jimmy Howard, Pekka Rinne, Henrik Lundqvist are all having better years. Hell even Brian Elliot with his 1.70 GAA and .938 SA% might be making an appearance.

Aren't they still doing the all-star draft this year? They probably won't end up on the same team.

Last year Eric Staal and Nicklas Lidstrom were the captains for the game in N.C. I would have to assume that Alfie will be one of the captains.

Crosby was the top vote getter last year with 635,509. Letang with 477,960 was 2nd.
Team captains Staal and Lidstrom had 142,634 and 296,600 votes last year.

January 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

we bumped Kessel. that is so awesome!

now that we've done this amzing thing, can we all agree this whole home town fan voting thing is ridiculous?

January 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

So happy that Kessel and Reimer got bumped out, and if only Phanny had too.....if only........

And I've already had the pleasure of dealing with a Leafer who was complaining that it wasn't fair to have that many Senators in the starting lineup and that the vote box was stuffed, by saying "Do you really think Reimer is worthy of being in the all-star game, let alone a starter? Really?". The silence was golden.

The home town fan voting thing is ridiculous, what what do they expect to happen? After all, it was Operation Mayhem (or whatever the blue teamers were calling it) that tried to fill the starting lineup with Leafers Losers, but failed.

9MM - SpezDispenser - Golden Gawd
The Apostle - some_loser

Love it!

PRAISE ALFIE!

January 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Awesome. What are the bets that the system is changed next year. I can already here Butman having a breakdown.

January 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Yes they are doing the draft this year. They released some tickets for it on ticketmaster this afternoon and I luckily managed to grab a pair (hooray).

I'm convinced that the captains will be Alfredsson and Kessel. The league can build it as part of the battle of Ontario. Alfie will be the hometown hero/respected league elder and it'll be a make-good of sorts for Kessel being the last pick last year.

January 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM | Registered CommenterSpaceman

Having a great time reading all the comments by lafs fans squealing about how unfair it is that 4 Sens voted to team.

January 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

I'd be surprised to see Kessel as captain of the other team. He doesn't like the spot light and I just don't see him standing at a podium for an hour. Besides can you see him picking any Sens on his team?

I think that the NHL will either go with the young guard with a Giroux / Toews or a vet like a Chara / Jagr / Selanne or maybe one of the Sedins in a Swede vs Swede as captains.

January 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

What would be funny is to see Alfie conferring with someone, let's say Spezza, on a pick.

Alfie: "Should we go with Tyler Seguin or Phil Kessel with our next pick?"
Spezza: "Oh without a doubt Tyler Seguin for sure, you'd be crazy not too"
Alfie: "Yeah you're right, let's go with Seguin"

January 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I'm not old enough to remember this but maybe Senior is the 1956 CincinnatiReds did the same thing at the AllStar game that year in Cincy and you guessed it -- MLB changed the way the voting worked from then on. As a matter of fact they didn't let the Reds start all the positions because they left off guys like WillieMays and HankAaron.
Russell and Senior are right it is ridiculous and and Buttman will change it.

It's still great for those guys voted in and you fans in Ottawa that's for sure and I love it that Leaf errr Loser fans are pissed.

January 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Reimer 2nd in AllStar voting and 2nd on his teams depth chart as of tonite. He's been demoted for something called the Monster.

January 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Just though of this... Kessel was leading the voting right up to the end and just like in Sens games the fans paid homage to their team with a great come form behind victory.

January 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Weren't Laffs fans supposed to cause mayhem with the voting? They can't even get that right.

January 5, 2012 at 6:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

they were.. they fired the 1st shot across the bow and we had none of it. We fought back and kicked their asses.

What do you think they would have said if they out voted us and we ended up with no players voted in. They'd be rubbing it in our faces saying how Sens fans aren't passionate enough to even vote any of our own players in. Well Toronto with 1/5 of your population...

STFU

January 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

here's a quote from Jeffrey Lupul of the LeafsSuck---he's a jealous guy and he can't spell his own first name

“Obviously, Ottawa just wants to see all their guys play,” Lupul said. “Why don’t they just get a ticket to a Senators game?”

January 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Isn't his name Joffrey or something? Who names their kid Joffrey? Might as well name him Leafsuck...

Typical Leafer - no class, sore loser.
He should be mad at Toronto fans who DIDN'T vote for his 9 goals and 9 assists. By his logic he fully expected Ottawa fans to recognize his immense talent and vote him in over 3 other more accomplished, home town forwards.

Enjoy the game on TV Joffrey. Lobotomies take time to recover.

January 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Actually, I'm glad that the laffs are whining so much. It shows them as the classless turds that they are. If they had reacted with grace, it might have proved us wrong about them, but they have reinforced our opinion. Thanks laffs! :-)

January 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM | Registered CommenterPortera

Hey Laff fans. You blew it.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/01/05/you-blew-it-leafs-fans

January 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Alfie and Chara were named all-star captains.

I'm good with that. I wonder if Chara will pick Tyler Seguin ahead of Phil Kessel

January 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Two classy captains.

January 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Asked if he’ll choose former teammate Phil Kessel last, Chara said,“We’ll see how it goes. Somebody is going to be last.”

January 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Lupul and Lundqvist are named assistant captains for the ASG. Alfie gets Ludqvist and Chara gets Lupul. The ASG last season had two assistant captains so there may be a couple more named.

So how does this play out? Since we have Lundqvist on our team already, I see Chara taking Thomas with his 1st pick and maybe Kessel with his 2nd. Where to Seguin and Phaneuf get picked?

I see Alfie taking Karlsson 1st, after that, I'm not sure. Where do Spezza, Michalek and now Rangers' Gaborik and Girardi get picked.

Malkin, the Sedins, Datsyuk and Stamkos are all at the top of the league scoring. I'd also like to see Hossa and Elliot on team Alfie.

January 21, 2012 at 2:25 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

I'd expect Alfie to pick Elliot.

would be funny to see seguin on a line with Kessel.

January 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell