Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship

Sweden 5-2 Canada in the last warm-up game. Zibanejad with 2 goals (1 empty net), and Mark Stone with an AYKM highlight goal!
Can we fast forward to 2013 when we'll have both of these boys ripping it up with the Sens?!?

Future's looking good for Sens prospects. Are there any other Sens prospects other than Stone and Zibanejad in the tournament?

December 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

U-S-A U-S-A

Merry Christmas, everyone!

December 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM | Registered CommenterChuckie

Your going down Chuckie!

December 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

2:14 in STONE SCORES! And Canada is off to a quick start v. Finland.

December 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

let's hope Stone turns into as good a player taken in the 6th round in 1994 and just as unheralded at draft time.--Daniel Alfredsson

December 26, 2011 at 3:49 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

the only guys who are even close to being as great as Alfie drafted in the 6th round in the last 25 years have been Datsyuk and PavelBure

December 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Stone is ours? Awesome.

Can't wait to see Z-Bad.

December 26, 2011 at 4:04 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones

I see some members of the Finnish diving team made the cut for hockey ...

December 26, 2011 at 4:06 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

6'3, 200lbs and still growing, Stone is. By all indications not a great skater but seems to find the scoring areas on the ice. I just hope he's not another Bobby Butler who has the hands, vision and hockey sense, but just not the skating ability to bring it all together.

December 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

...aaaaaaand Stone just scored his 2nd of the game and the tournament :))

December 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Mark Stone off the post and in for his 2nd? Well, if he's ringing the iron ... he's definitely ours.

December 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

Well, if he's ringing the iron ... he's definitely ours.

isn't that the truth---LOL

December 26, 2011 at 5:50 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Stone is now closer to 220 pounds according to one of the guys who picks these guys for team

December 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

8-1 Canada over Finland, Mark Stone with 3 goals ... wow.

December 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

what about assists? slacker

December 26, 2011 at 6:02 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Man, Snes prospects are having a red letter day.

December 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM | Registered Commenterthegertkenator

he has 1 apple

December 26, 2011 at 8:17 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Stone had a concussion and a broken thumb the year Murray drafted him in the 6th round--and Murray was able to pick up Cowen later than he was supposed to be drafted because of an injury in Juniors.
You gotta hand it to Murray for the foresight to see past short term injuries and take these type of guys

December 26, 2011 at 8:54 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

damn in-laws messing up my world junior watching.

did get to see most of the game. pointed out to my leafer brothers-in-law that stone was ours. the guy is a goal scorer. they said robitaille couldn't skate either so,....just sayin'

December 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Zibanejad scored 2 goals as well for the Swedes over Latvia 9-4.

In non-WJC news, Da Costa had a hat-trick last night and Hoffman scored a goal too for Bingo.
So, lots to be happy about in Sens land.

December 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

pointed out to my leafer brothers-in-law that stone was ours. the guy is a goal scorer. they said robitaille couldn't skate either so,....just sayin'

Tim Kerr wasn't much of a skater either, but put up a few points in his time.

What made my Christmas so far was pointing out to a Leafer, who was proclaiming that DSP would be a perfect fit in blue-and-white, that he had already played 26 games so far this season in black-and-gold. The silence that followed was as golden as the Golden Gawd.

December 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Nice article in a non-Ottawa paper (thank you, Mop & Pail) on Z-bad: Senators Zibanejad not your typical Swede

December 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Kardinal, who is DSP? (momentary brain fart here)

I also forgot the sens have Fredrik Claesson (defence, Djurgarden, 19 y.old, 6th rounder) playing for Team Sweden. So far he's a +1, no pts.

Kind of disappointed Team USA did not pick Shane Price from the 67s - the guy is an assist machine. Seems like they went with mostly US college guys.

December 27, 2011 at 1:49 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

yeah, prince wasn't too happy about it, either. he said as much in the press.

December 27, 2011 at 3:05 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Kardinal, who is DSP? (momentary brain fart here)

Devante Smith-Pelly, who was playing like a human wrecking ball.

For those who didn't see Prince's comments about being cut from Team USA (there was lot of coverage on it here in Ottawa because he plays for the 67s, and he's a Senators draft pick): Prince doesn't think he got fair shake with American juniors.

The Ottawa 67’s left-winger and Ottawa Senators draft pick left Alberta fuming on Thursday, lambasting USA Hockey officials after he was cut from the American team just five days before the start of the IIHF world junior championship.

“I don’t know why I expected anything else from USA Hockey ... I don’t even know why I ever got invited,” Prince said as he waited in Calgary for a flight to take him to his family home in Rochester, New York for Christmas.

“I just felt from Day 1 the team had already been picked. I just feel they had their guys picked right from the start. Some guys felt they had the team made no matter how they played. And they didn’t give the others a chance.”

December 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal