Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Filatov experiment over?

Don't let the door hit you in the arseky comrade...

November 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

u can see from Murray's and MacLean's comments they want him to just compete harder and do some of the little things than what he's shown so far in Ottawa--it really shouldn't be that difficult with the encouragement that MacLean gives his players.
but with Stone and Zbad in the minors they are covered with young forwards so if Filatov keeps sulking he'll never play in the NHL again at least to any good level.

November 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

why doesn't Enroth play like this against Ottawa??--given up 4 goals to Devils

November 16, 2011 at 9:29 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Looks like his bubble's burst, tj

November 16, 2011 at 9:49 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

i really liked murray's comments. basically he said its up to Filatio to earn his keep. he's willing to work with the kid, he likes the kid but the Sens will call the shots, not him. after the "Bad apple" years we just went through, i loved hearing this.

November 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Hypothetical:

Lets say Filatov refuses to play but the Sens don't let him go to Russia, can we keep qualifying him until he's thru his RFA years and keep him from going to Russia?

If that's the case, then Filatov has absolutely no leverege here.

November 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM | Registered Commentergosensgo101

As much as I hated Kovalev, he had a solid career before arriving in Ottawa that could ALMOST justify his flakey primadonna attitude when it came to defence and ya know, trying occasionally. This kid has literally done nothing in this league, where does he get this attitude from? If he doesn't like riding the busses down in Bingo, let him go ride a few planes in Russia and see how he likes it... (too soon?)

November 17, 2011 at 4:51 PM | Registered CommenterTrue Believer

I had hopes for this kid, and I still have a few, but I would have thought that after his time in Columbus he'd want to do anything and everything to get to the NHL, and this 'culture of entitlement' attitude is just baffling. All he has to do is look around Bingo and see the memories of Greening/Condra from last year or K-Daug from this year -- it's evident that players get noticed when they earn it, and if anything he has to work harder to get noticed than anyone else.

His biggest impediment to playing in the NHL isn't his skills, it's his work ethic. With Murray/MacLean, it's all about character and work ethic, and Filitov isn't scoring high in either department and he has no-one to blame but himself.

November 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

some guys are just wired like that. they think the world owes them something. Seems like a lot of the ones in the NHL have names that end in
-OV. Oh well, you roll the dice, you take yer chances.this time, looks like we crapped out. We still have lots of other good prospects.

November 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

gosensgo101, come July 1st, Filatov is an RFA. Sens can give him a qualifying offer to keep his NHL rights, but he doesn't have to sign it. The only thing the qualifying offer does is if any other NHL team signs him, the Sens have the right to match. If they decide they don't match, then the other teams has to compensate Ottawa depending on how much Filatov signs for.

He can also just walk away and go back to Russian since he doesn't have a contract, just a contract offer.

November 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

True Believer, let me tell you something about Kovalev's "solid" career.

Ask most people, outside of Ottawa, who is the more gifted and talented player, Alfredsson or Kovalev? Most will probably say Kovalev.

Now the interesting part.

Kovalev's numbers are GP=1302, Goals=428, Assists=596, Points=1024
Alfredsson's numbers are GP=1069, Goals=394, Assists=637, Points=1031

Point totals are about the same, but Alfie did it in three seasons less. Alfie's hard work and heart trumps Kovalev's skill

Remember that Kovalev played with Jagr and Lemieux. Kovalev has all the talent in the world, but no game.

November 17, 2011 at 6:11 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Article from SenatorsExtra.com Filly don’t do rebounds

November 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

This move by Filatov/his agent was REALLY dumb. I get that he's frustrated in Bingo. I get that he misses home and could be making 20x more there. However, by coming out publicly and saying you are considering other options you are pulling a Heatley.

If Murray/Stache decide to give you playing time in the bigs, it may look like they are caving into a pouty little baby's demands, and that destroys all the accountability they've been creating.

If there is a trade offer on the table for Filatov, Murray may get "future considerations" AT BEST. And I hope he doesn't just release him - that's just a waste of a pick, etc.

November 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

2 goals and 1 Assist tonite for Filatov--maybe the talking to by Murray sparked him somewhat. Murray had a funny exchange at the end of an interview in Toronto the other morning.
He said that Filatov has to commit himself and that if it's about money and being a good guy then at some point I'll (Murray) have to be a good guy but I don't want to be right now. That was in response that Filatov can make so much more $$ in Russia than in the minors.

November 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

and one guy in the Jrs. who will take Filatov's place in the young prospect list is Mark Stone--BrandonWheatKings WHL
6'3" 200

22 Games Played
19 Goals
27 Assists
46 Points
+20

that's not a bad stat line--but he'll need to pick it up to average a goal a game.

November 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

And to think that Stone is a 6th round pick (178th overall, in 2010), not 6th overall pick.

Other prospects still playing outside the Senators system:

Z-Bad (6th, 2011) is starting to score in SEL apparently (can't find stats)
Noesen (21st, 2011) is 19GP, 5G 17A +3 with Plymouth Whalers of OHL
Puempel (24th, 2011) is 22GP, 14G 11A +5 WITH Peterborough Petes of OHL
Prince (61st, 2011) is 16GP, 9G 16A +3 with Ottawa 67s of OHL
Pageau (96th, 2011) 17GP, 18G 13A +1 with Gatineau in QMJHL,but out with a broken finger (as of Nov 17th)
Culek (76, 2010) is 22GP, 5G 11A +6 with Rimouski in QMJHL

BTW, Silferberg, (39, 2009) is currently playing for Brynas in SEL. Andreas Dackell is the team captain.

November 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

.....and just like that, Filatov gets 2G 1A Friday night in a 4-2 win over the Hamilton Bulldogs at the Bell Centre in Montreal to break the Bingo Sens losing streak at 8 games. Mark Parrish got 3A in the game as well.

November 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Z-Bad's stats from hockeydb.com

2011-12 Ottawa Senators 9GP, 0G, 1A, -3
2011-12 Djurgardens IF Stockholm 5GP, 1G, 0A, -3

I hope that Dackell isn't teaching Silferberg how to hit posts.

November 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Jason York says; Suck it up princess

JY needs to go underground. He'd be a great interview.

November 19, 2011 at 7:04 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Yorkie called it right, and brought up a lot of other players who spent time in the minors who are even better players than Fili-whiner.

And I second the vote to get him Underground.

November 19, 2011 at 11:45 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

Filatov is now Bingo's second-leading scorer with 12 points in 13 games, a team-best 0.923 PPG and .538 goals per game (numbers courtesy of @PSBJoyOnTheSens). Impressive numbers, but I'd like to see him do it for at least another month or two to show he's got the dedication to work consistently and not just when he wants to make a point.

And I've seen him referred to as the "Filatov Cocktail" more than once now.

November 25, 2011 at 6:24 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

No the experiment is not over---he's up and DaCosta is down in Bingo (I think it's Bingo)
It's a rebuild and now it's time for the Cocktail to step up and show something--some life--some scoring--some backchecking--something.

November 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

yeah it's Bingo and if Filatov plays today it will be 4 games in 4 days--that may be asking too much

November 27, 2011 at 11:38 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

It was really exciting to get this guy out of Columbus for a 3rd round pick. He's quickly showed that it was a probably about what he was worth.

We are very thin on true top 6 forwards. It's our biggest weakness right now. The problem with Filly seems to be development. He just wants to remain as he is and get top minutes on an NHL club.

November 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM | Registered CommenterPesky Jones