Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the League

Don't be surprised if Peel refs Carolina's next game too. That's the NHL's M.O. When a ref s#!ts the bed, they don't change the sheets.

February 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM | Registered CommenterHomer
February 15, 2012 at 12:19 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Watching the habs/bruins game. On the last play, Thomas was way out of the net on a 2 on 1 breakout where one of the habs ran into Thomas because he just couldn't see him. On the delayed penalty, the bruins came down and one of them ran into Price. 2 goalie interference penalties at one time. Weird. Plus, now the total goalie interference calls are now 4 in this game.

The goalie interference has become yet another joke, and we see it in the Sens games where Andy gets run all the time, and you only get called on it if your name is Foligno

February 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Brad Marchand called again for clipping last night vs mtl. he just finished a 5 game suspension for this, didn't he? Shredder, explain yourself!

February 16, 2012 at 9:20 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

People think Ottawa is a goalie graveyard, have a look at the last Philly-Pitts game 6-4 for the Pens and EVERYTHING was going in and through Bobrovsky and Bryzgalov.

February 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Kubina to philly for a 2nd and a 4th. a little surprised at that. I thought the demand for him was a little higher. Thought they get a prospect in there too.

Philly just has to have everyone, don't they? except a good goalie.

February 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

sensunderground Canuck fans with the HUGE "leafs suck" chant. #leafssuckcoasttocoast
2 hours ago · reply · retweet · favorite

Fans on the Left Coast know which team sucks. I'm real happy all the Trees fans on the East Coast were able to watch their crappy team get blown out by the Canucks tonite in prime time--it would have been sad if the game had started at 10EST like it should have and some of the
cockaroaches would have missed their team getting slaughtered.

February 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

2nd and a 4th?!?! I think they overpaid. Guy's on his last legs; wouldn't have paid more than a 5th rounder.

TJ, that loss was a blip on the radar. Everyone knows Phaneuf is getting the Norris, Kessel is getting the Hart, and the Monster and Optimus Reim are each going to get a Vezina... this year. They are just that good.

February 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Dawg, you forgot the Calder for Garder, the Jack Adams for Wilson, the Selke for David Steckle and the Lady Bing for Colton Orr, after all he's only got 5 penalty minutes this year.

February 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

so we're not imagining it.

from Wayne Scanlan today,

"But there they are, third in the entire NHL under the category of missed shots, with 764. Prior to Saturday’s games, the Winnipeg Jets led the way with 773 targets missed. The Los Angeles Kings were next at 772."

February 19, 2012 at 11:04 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

So if we're intelligent enough to notice that Ottawa misses a lot of shots, then I think that we're intelligent enough to notice that the officiating is total crap and refs do tend to stick it to Ottawa more often than not.

One thing I'm sure of is that we are smart enough not to drink the kool-aid that Buttman, Daly, Brenda and other league brass are trying to get us to drink.

February 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

mmmmm....kool-aid.....aaaararrrgggghhhhh

February 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

If you read on, Detroit was one of the top teams in missed shots as well last season. Although, that is by design as they run those plays where if the front of the net is clogged with traffic, they bounce the puck off the boards and bang in the rebound.

On a different note, after last night's games Laffs and Caps would still be trailing Ottawa even if they did win their 1-2 games in hand.

February 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

one thing we can all agree on though is LEAFS SUCK!!! and so do their Cock a Rocha fans

February 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
some gems this year on the board
screaming trees
cock a rocha
what's next?!

February 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

don't know if you'll laugh at this one or just shake your head like I did.

in the cbc player's poll, the players picked Devorski as the best ref. Ron Maclean, however, said that if he could pick one ref for a game 7 cup final it would be.......O'rouke.

I simply can't explain this other than Maclean is a ref too so he's standing up for the brotherhood and trying to repair some of this guy's tarnished reputation now. Ask anyone in the Sens organization which ref they would NOT want to see in a deciding game. actually, after recent events, I'd have to think many teams would not want him as he's shown he can hold a grudge if you get on his bad side.

The stunt o'rourke pulled on karlsson and then the blatant slap down he gave then Sens after Maclean bitched shows that he can not be objective which has to be the single most important part of being ref.

February 20, 2012 at 9:47 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Remember the whole Auger thing and he interview McLean had with Campbell? That segment on HNIC had a blatent agenda and bias in favor of the league and the refs. They (McLean and the league) insist that it is not possible for a ref to be bias against a team as they are professionals. Yes they are professionals, professional hypocrites.

Remember, that's the leagues M.O. If a ref causes a controversy against a team, make him ref that team's next game to "prove" that the leagues has no problems with that refs performance. It's happened time and time again.

February 20, 2012 at 11:02 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I had forgotten about that interview after the Auger thing, Homer. good point. I wonder if maclean realizes what an obvious douche he looks like when he does that? For a guy that's generally great at what he does, he sure doesn't get that part of it.

February 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Back to the officials... I remember reading Kerry Fraser's column on TSN not too long ago. He said that up to a point he'll let a player vent about a call, what he would never accept and what pissed him off the most is when his integrity was questioned and he would immediately assess a 10 minute misconduct.

So what he is basically saying is never question a ref integrity because he's not going to like it, but it's perfectly OK for a ref to question a player's integrity (O'Rourke on Karlsson) and that player has no right to by upset about it.

"I love the smell of hypocrisy in the morning"

February 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

Last place Carolina crushing Washington 5-0 in the second, helping put a little more distance between the Sens and 8th place contenders.

February 20, 2012 at 9:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

great point, Homer.

February 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Dawg that's a good point about Washington the Sens next game, but I think we should look ahead at Boston, Philly, NJ and Pittspuke and the Sens should go for either the #2 or #3 seed or at least the #6 seed. At #6 if they can't pass the Bullies in Boston they get the SEWinner.
The bottom line though is they just need to keep playing like they have the last 5 games.
NJ is playing Toronto tomorrow and I'm going to have to hold my nose and pull for the Laffs it's more important IMO for the Sens to look ahead of them than worry about the Laffs catching them.

Listened to Melnyk today and he did say the Sens won't trade anyone that's part of the future plan, which he was adamant they were sticking to. He did say they would trade overpaid non-productive Vets, so I gotta think that doesn't sound like Kuba and Gonchar. They've been productive. Who on this years team is a overpaid vet and non-productive??

February 20, 2012 at 11:54 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

To add to that TJ, at this point everyone from the owner to the players to the fans feel like they don't want to mess around with the make-up/chemistry of this team, and give it a go. This is beneficial in many ways:
1) you get to see what these guys really have, especially in the playoffs
2) you save yourself from overpaying at the trade deadline (there are rarely one-sided, steal-type trade; the buyer usually overpays)
3) you can always trade guys at the draft, when their value would likely be higher after a successful season, a playoffs run and one more year off their contract

So much to look forward to in the coming years. Murray and his team have positioned this team well.

February 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

So Washington played Ottawa on Wednesday, they play against Montreal tonight (in Washington) and guess who they play against on Saturday.

Here's a hint, they're playing in Ontario and Boston is playing against the Sens.

I'd like to see a report of how many times a team is playing their 2nd game in two days against Toronto and Toronto didn't play the night before and compare that to other teams.

February 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM | Registered CommenterHomer