Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the League

Brassard from CBJs to Sens?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/11/14/sens-looking-for-new-jacket

November 14, 2011 at 8:25 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Brassard is still young and his numbers were improving year after year until the Jackets dive bombed this season. I wonder what it would take to get him?

November 14, 2011 at 8:56 PM | Registered CommenterTrue Believer

heard Weircoch or however u spell his name and a draft pick

November 14, 2011 at 9:25 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"Shanahan cites lack of intent in not suspending Lucic"

maybe Shanny needs some help in establishing intent

November 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Ok, Shanny's lost his mind. Re Lucic/Miller:

"I felt until that moment, it's reasonable that he really felt this was a potential breakaway," Shanahan said. "He should have made more of an effort to get out of the way ... the reason this isn't, in my mind, supplemental discipline is because Lucic makes no movement towards Miller.

looks to me like he made a 100 ft+ movement towards Miller.

"It's shoulder-to-shoulder contact."

if it was shoulder to shoulder, how did Miller get a concussion?

"I don't think it's any reasonable expectation on that collision that there's necessarily going to be an injury of that degree."

....but there was an injury. expectation or not, there was one. and how could there not be some expectation of an injury? look at the size difference between those two. it's like an SUV hitting a VW bug.

November 14, 2011 at 11:20 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

common sense left the NHL offices decades ago and it ain't coming back thru that door.

November 15, 2011 at 12:27 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

when is the next podcast? thx

November 15, 2011 at 12:28 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Recording the show Wednesday. Moving it back to Wednesdays from now on... just like previous years.

November 15, 2011 at 12:41 AM | Registered CommenterShredder

Hummm... sorry to ask, but I always thought the crease was there for a reason, which was to protect the goaltender inside and close to it... if he steps outside beyond a reasonable distance, he became a player, and a hit, although not usually done, is fair-play.

Maybe I am indeed insane...

November 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM | Registered Commenterdadexter

actually, you are not allowed to hit the goalie at all, anywhere...on purpose. However, incidental contact is allowed. I don't think anyone can look at that hit and think it was anything but intentional...except Shanny, apparently.

November 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

@DADEXTER... maybe you didn't watcht the Sens v. Habs game where Anderson (who by definition plays deep in his crease) was getting run over every second shift? There were no penalties.

There has definitely been a trend against protecting goalies in recent years. Even the laffs goalie should have been better protected from that elbow he took against the habs. ENOUGH WITH THE INTENT BS ARGUMENT! You elbow a player in the head and injure him, you are automatically suspended min. 5 games. Shannahan is using whatever brain cells he has left to overthink situations.

@TJ... I wouldn't trade Wiercioch AND a pick for Brassard. Even just Wiercioch would be too much. The kid is a beast on the back end. 6'4 and still groing. He's like a more mobile version of cowen - hits like a truck, but can motor as well. Sweet hands this last Sunday when he scored against the Bulldogs. Come down on his off wing and deked the goalie wide.

November 15, 2011 at 12:58 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

Now I know as a Vancouver-ite we're prone to violence & riots but as far as I'm concerned once a goalie leaves the crease he's just another skater out there. You want to play the puck behind the net? No problem, meet my fore-checker.

But in the Lucic/Miller play there's NO WAY Miller could have thought he'd be protected - he was out by the damn face-off dot for petes' sake! He gambled and won (getting to the puck before Lucic) in that he snuffed-out the breakaway and prevented the scoring chance, but as far as I'm concerned Lucic had every right to hammer him like any other player playing the puck.

You want more scoring chances in the 'new, trapping NHL'? No problem, keep the goalies in the paint where they can be protected to the fullest extent possible. And if they want to leave the safety of the crease in order to play the puck on dump-ins etc then do it at your own risk, I say.

(Yes, I know the rule states that you cannot intentionally hit the goalie at any time, but there's also a rule about 'intent to injury' - among others - that they refuse to call.)

November 15, 2011 at 3:01 PM | Registered CommenterDarcy Loewen

@tankdawg I did watch that game... notice a difference... Anderson was in the crease when he got run over...

Miller was pulling a Patrick Roy move and was WAY OUT of his crease.

November 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM | Registered Commenterdadexter

Even Kerry Fraser on his column on tsn.ca thinks that Shanahan blew this call more that Jenna ever could.

November 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM | Registered CommenterHomer

Dex, exactly - Anderson was in his crease and he got bulldozed over more than a couple of times. No calls every time. Yet, if Lucic made "accidental" contact with Miller, he gets called for 2 min. This league is soooooooooooooooo confusing.

QUESTION: is the goalie allowed to cover the puck at the face off dot? Could Miller just have dropped on the puck and covered it?

November 15, 2011 at 9:08 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

I'll have to ask Stooli if he would still insist on picking OV as his guy to build a franchise around. he's tied with CBJ Vinnie Propal for points.

November 16, 2011 at 8:32 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Ray.... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMERYYYYYYYYYY (see at the beginning and end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3OmxWMTPOs

November 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

i think he did that a few years ago, didn't he?

November 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Islanders unveiled their third jersey: FAIL!

these guys and the canucks seem doomed to never have a good sweater.

November 16, 2011 at 10:45 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

"No charges will be laid against Chara for hit on Paciaoretty."

get out yer fire extinguishers!

November 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

OH BABY!!! McGrattan fills in dirty leaf Rosehill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EADsrGbRXVA#!

Gratz almost had a goal in the game, too.

Love how even the ref felt sorry for Rosehill and stepped in. Love Gratz's reaction after the fight - he must have been sick of playing video games all day for the last 4 days (according to his twitter).

November 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

wow! THAT is how you beat a leafer! rosehill was begging for a left just to change things up.

November 18, 2011 at 1:33 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

I'll be all over Stooli about this next show.

November 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Kelly got his 6th and 7th goals tonight + an assist. Somewhere Russell is saying "Kelly!" a la "Newman!" on Seinfeld :)

November 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM | Registered CommenterSens Dawg

More like "Murray" for trading Kelly

November 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM | Registered CommenterHomer