Follow Us on Twitter

Sens Underground
iTunes

Donate

We're all volunteers paying out of our pocket. We operate on a loss.  If you'd like to help, it will be put to use running the podcast and we'll give you huge kudos on the show!

Underground Hosts

Russell

Shredder

StooLi

Canuck

Pan

Kardinal

Quick Search

Sens Underground Forums > Around the League

Phoenix up 2-0 over Chicago in the 3rd. Interesting year!

April 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM | Registered CommenterPortera

Re: the Joel Ward racism stuff.

this is in no way meant to diminish how reprehensible all that was but i'm a little confused at how shocked everyone is. racism on the internet is nothing new. just read the comments under any youtube video. after about 5 comments, it just degenerates into a pissing match of racism and hatred.

sadly, this really isn't shocking at all.

April 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Watching Game 1 of the Caps-Rangers series and they have to start calling Prust "Pap Smear"

He's getting a penalty-a-period and he's getting them by running the goalie and he got a boarding call in the 2nd period.

Whatta luggie!

April 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM | Registered CommenterChuckie

Who?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Canadiens+name+Marc+Bergevin+next/6552734/story.html

May 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

Watching some of the Blue Jays/Twins game in Minnesota last night and there was some guy in the crowd wearing a hockey helmet with a sign that read "Hey Twins. You suck even worse than the Leafs". The Twins must be having a real bad year.

May 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

LOL @Senior

yeah the Twins suck but not near as bad as the Leafs do.

May 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

hard to believe the Canucks could become even more hated.

what a douche

May 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The perfect answer to lafs goal tending woes.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396927

May 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM | Registered CommenterSunburned Senior

So, the Preds have told Radulov to get out. He and Semin haven't exactly dissuaded the whole prejudice against Russians, have they?

June 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

not that there's anything wrong with being Russian

June 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

"My" Kings couldn't put those damn Devils away tonite---they are "my" Kings since the first NHL game I ever went to was in LA.

June 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM | Registered Commentertjlincoln

Chris Philips' brew pub, the Big Rig, opens in Ottawa Tuesday. booyah!

June 11, 2012 at 9:25 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Detroit traded Brad Stuart which puts them to 0 players on the roster acquired through trade. I could see Kuba end up there. The Red Wings will have huge holes on defence to fill, and you might as well put a plug in there.

June 12, 2012 at 9:13 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

does seem like a good fit, Panda Imodium.

June 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The NHL rejected Chris kelly's new contract with the Bruins for salary cap issues. I guess there wasn't enough "head" room to accomodate it. :)

June 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

The floater plans to resurface after being flushed from the league

Apparently it took too much energy to loaf around the larger ice surfaces in Russia............

June 14, 2012 at 1:43 PM | Registered CommenterAgent Orange

Re: Kovalev

“I always think about having left Montreal,” he said of signing a two-year, $10-million UFA contract with Ottawa in July 2009, having played four-plus seasons with the Canadiens.

“You make a mistake in life and you learn from it. I would make a different move if I could have that back.”

He thinks signing in Ottawa was a mistake. Well folks, that makes it unanimous: EVERYONE does.

June 14, 2012 at 4:03 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

poor guy. that mistake only made him $10 million for dragging his ass for two seasons. life is soooo rough for some people.

June 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell

Someone should build a big wooden horse, put Kovalev inside, and leave it outside the Air Canada Centre.

June 14, 2012 at 7:39 PM | Registered CommenterShanghaiSenator

does seem like a good fit, Panda Imodium.

Knew you'd turn that into a Chinese joke somehow.

I wonder if Boston could use Tim Thomas as an Energy Credit, where they can move him to a team like Dallas for a conditional pick or something of low value. Since he hits the cap anyways, this will let Dallas be a bottom cap team, but a low financial team at the same time.

Can you tell that I work in finance?

June 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM | Registered CommenterPost Draft Pan

Thomas has a no-trade, so who knows if he'd accept the trade to move somewhere else. Oh, hang on, it'll mean he gets $5M to do what he was planning to do: not play. He might just go for it.

I've heard Gomez spoken of in the same way, as his cap hit is $7.35M but he's being paid $4.5M and $3.5M for the next two seasons but that's a lot of scratch for someone's who's skills have dropped off that much.

June 15, 2012 at 9:19 AM | Registered CommenterKardinal

I think Tomas' NTC expires on July 1st. Since the contact was signed when he was over 35, his cap hit apples weather he plays or not.
Teams trying to make the salary cap floor could be interested in acquiring his cap hit, without having to pay anything if Tomas is not playing. At the same time, Boston would like to get rid of his cap hit as they currently have the highest payroll in the league with just under $65M committed next season on 21 roster players. At the other end of the spectrum, Colorado has $30M for 12 roster player, Phoenix has $35M for 17 roster players.

June 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM | Registered CommenterHomer

I think the "over 35 - cap hit applies" is for players who signed the contract over the age of 35 but who are retired, rather than those who are 'taking a year off' as that would be a breach of contract by the player so the club can suspend him to get the salary off the cap and also not have to pay him a dime. Having said that, what if he takes another year off, and then another, and decides to "return" in 2014? He'd be 41, hasn't played in the NHL in three years and still has a contract to pay him $5M even if his skills are eroded to where he isn't effective anymore.

June 18, 2012 at 12:54 PM | Registered CommenterKardinal

The floater plans to resurface after being flushed from the league

... this, gentlemen ... this ... is why I always flush twice.

June 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM | Registered CommenterPuddleduck

"slow clap"

well done, very well done. However, Melnyk had to flush 10 million times to get rid of him.

June 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM | Registered CommenterResigned Russell